Non return valve gas hose (1 Viewer)

Apr 16, 2024
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Expedition
Before we left our 1 week old van this morning I dutifully turned off the gas at the bottle and off we went.
When we returned to the site, I turned the gas on at the bottle, but no gas was coming through on any of the appliances.

I suspected the regulator mounted above the bottle, as I had heard of these failing. As I looked at hoses etc, I noticed that there was a red label on the hose linking the bottle to the regulator, which had the words "non return valve" on it, along with some warnings.

With nothing to lose, I took this hose off completely, then put it back on, and the gas started to flow.

So I need educating:

What is the purpose of this valve in the hose ?
Why would it stop the gas then allow it again ?
Should I carry a spare ?

Thanks,

Pete

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It sounds like a rupture protection valve... a kind of check valve,

They prevent uncontrolled gas flow in the event of a pipe rupture or hose break.

just an example.. yours may be different

I can only surmise why it closed when you turned the gas on after being out for the day, it points to having a leak somewhere .. or more probably you left the fridge or water heater on gas when out which used up the gas in the system .. when you turned it back on it was filling an empty system..

can you post a photo of the valve in question ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P
Apr 16, 2024
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Expedition
And this is the set up. The red label on the hose definitely says Non Return Valve

Pete

IMG_5754.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
And this is the set up. The red label on the hose definitely says Non Return Valve

Pete

View attachment 888149
You really don’t need a pigtail with a non return valve (NRV) on that system.
They are really designed for multiple bottle systems that have changeover valves like on static caravans and park homes , commercial installations etc .
They can stick and often make a noise so aren’t great in a leisure vehicle.
Just something else to go wrong, I would change to a standard pigtail personally.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back