Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
When did they start that again.
By saw, meanders meant;

Had a vague & ineffectual telephone call (firstly with the receptionist) to discuss an issue that needs looking/touching to determine anything reasonably accurate. Alas Facetime/Skype/WhatsApp just isn't a substitute.

Added a few smiles in case anyone thought I was toooooo serious :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :unsure:

EDIT
Was once interviewed by a factory inspector in the early 70's who thought he'd get a result and was advised if I put my mind to it I'd probably make a very good liar. Not sure to this day if that was a compliment?

Last edited:
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I am with RandallC on this especially as a blade is mentioned. Strongly suggest you get its operation and installation independently verifDied by a competent person and get a signature to that effect. If something goes wrong and a part has been replaced, HSE will take action even if the part in question played no part in the accident. A bit like health insurance where they will not pa out for a broken leg because you failed to tell them that you saw a doctor about a sore throat.
It's a metal worker so guillotine, notcher, shearer and punch. True, it could do a lot of damage to someone not paying attention but all I was fixing was the foot press. A switch basically.

Anyone can screw a terminal closed it's finding out where the wires go that's the hard bit but I had every faith autorouter would soon suss it out.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
OK, but the comment that "measuring resistance is out of my electrical experience" was extremely concerning. The fact that you seem to have got it functioning by trial and error and with 'help from someone on the internet' indicates that no-one there has an understanding of the overall design philosophy and, in systems engineering terms, you have no way of effectively testing that it will work as per the original design under all conditions. Any properly written risk assessment would have it as high risk with potential for significant harm, or even death. Hence my suggestion that you take remedial action to mitigate the risk. It's entirely your call though.

PS: I am not a health and safety nutter, but sadly have seen the consequences more than once over the years when repairs have been made to equipment by persons without the full understanding. One of those resulted in the death of a young man over 50 years ago when a badly repaired safety gate failed and I have never forgotten it. It's the same reason I take no alcohol when doing anything with electrical or heavy musical equipment.

Edit: Missing word making it read nonsensically!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
By the way, I suspect most electricians worth their money would take issue with the statement that anyone can screw a terminal closed.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
I doubt it.
Said the chap who knew nowt about electrics!

Maybe not a suitable comment but:

works on Electrical equipment/installations carries similar requirements and penalties to work on Gas systems. Ignorance of the law is not a defence.

As an accredited Instrument and Electrical Engineer with 40+ years in power generation, would advise anyone not to take the subject lightly or roll the dice with the HSE. Have a look at some of their case studies.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/resources/casestudies.htm

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Only trying to help and point out the risks. We would be remiss ourselves if we did otherwise. I suspect RandallC is as chilled as I am thanks as it's not us at risk. ;)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Only trying to help and point out the risks. We would be remiss ourselves if we did otherwise. I suspect RandallC is as chilled as I am thanks as it's not us at risk. ;)
Am indeed, just offering a spot of experienced enlightenment.

The issue of "Duty of Care" is why I retained Association membership until the station closed as I had written a number of operation instructions and risk assessments that were still valid post my retirement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back