Nice Van but there is a Fly in the Ointment (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
My wife and I just sold our caravan last week and we are now in the process of looking at campervans. We saw this lovely Citroen Relay at the weekend and it had everything that we were looking for – price, layout, rear toilet, size, colour – but there is a fly in the ointment.
My wife had read that when looking at a van you shouldn’t be afraid to move cushions etc to get into all the nooks and crannies and check for damage and damp and she did just that, asking the owner if it was ok first, and everything was coming up fine until she got to the area under a bench cushion where the water heater and pump along with all the pipes and connections are located. She found that it was damp, almost wet, under the plywood that everything sat on and I had a feel as well getting my fingers right underneath and yes it was not only damp but I would say wet.
The owner, who seems a nice person, looked disconcerted about what we had discovered. The van is obviously well kept by the owner and his wife in fact it looks pristine and I tend to believe him when he said that this area of wetness was a surprise to him. The van had been sitting for two weeks since their last short trip.
My feeling is that there is a very slow leak from the water heater or pump and that this is causing the problem. I don’t think there is any water ingress from anywhere causing this. Everywhere else in the van as far as we could tell is dry and there is no smell of damp at all. There is no habitation report for the van.
I called him later on that day and said that I would like to buy the van on condition that the area that was wet was repaired and the cause identified.
Anyway I would appreciate any thoughts that members may have on this. This is a big purchase for us and we don’t want to be left with a white elephant if we go ahead and buy then have to sell at a loss later in the year.
cheers Martin

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
If it is fixed properly and inspected afterwards I would still buy it.
If the problem has been left to fester and the surrounding wood etc is all rotten I would walk away.

If you love the van then you love the van.

Every van that is ever sold will have something wrong with it at some point. As long as its dealt with then its no biggy.

I have had all sorts of vans that I have either owned or have been on my forecourt and every single one even the German stuff has something wrong. It could be water, could be electrical could be anything. They all get put right and people leave happy.

Get it fixed, buy the van, go and make some happy memories whilst you are still young enough to be able to.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Good advice Steve. I'll wait and see what he comes back with this weekend and take it from there. We may ask for a big discount and take a punt that its not a big thing and can be fixed easily but It's a big spend for us and although we like it we are willing to walk away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Simon I like the cut of your jib! I tend to think this way but my wife doesn't. As I replied to Steve it may be worth taking a punt and asking for money off hoping that its a straightforward fix. But there will always be another one to look at although as you say nothing is going to be 100% perfect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If it's a PVC then its unlikely leaking from the outside unless from a window seal or similar, if it is internal then it might not be to bad but if it's been leaking under there for months then the ply floor may need repaired or replaced. If you like the van try and strike a deal subject to survey like you would with a house then get a mobile caravan/motorhome service agent to have a look.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Good advice Lorger. I've noticed that there is a company that can send an engineer to do habitation reports at home - habcheck - so this might be an option. They are over £300 a shot though. I like your house report analogy. Must admit I'm not great at negotiating but will probably need to step up to the plate in this case.
ps the window seals were all in great condition with absolutely no sign of any leakage.

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
£300 for a hab check is expensive. For our customers we charge £145. For a mobile engineer it should be even cheaper as he/she/non binary/toaster/asexual or whatever won't have workshop's/ staff/ electric bills etc!

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Would be a job for Mark at Central Leisure Services, if we were thinking of buying it - because he's trustworthy and good at what he does!

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I assume from this post you're looking at front lounge that converts into beds
Must admit I'm not great at negotiating but will probably need to step up to the plate in this case.

Don't be afraid to make an silly offer you never know what he or she are looking for, also remember to do a HPI check if buying private probably should with dealers too but I think they provide you with one now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Hi Simon had a non pc chuckle at your post :giggle:
I thought it was a bit on the expensive side. Will need to find someone up here in Edinburgh/Fife that could do it. Sedge - prob a bit too far for Mark to travel :confused:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Have found a company that will do the hab check for £140 or if I only wanted a damp check that would be £75. That sounds pretty good. If I was selling then I would go for that if I wanted a sale.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
The seller should be selling that van with a new hab check so I would insist he gets one done. No one wants to take a punt on what might be wrong with a van of that age and mileage, he should have known that, nice guy or not.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Hi Steve yes I think you're right. Too much faffing about on my part when my wife and I should be getting more assertive. In the end there will always be another that will suit us if this one doesn't work out.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Being a PCV, I’d suggest the damp/wet is in fact from the internal water fixtures in close proximity weeping slightly, but not enough to flood the living area.

The other place I would check would be from the sliding door seal allowing water in and under the cupboard/bench behind it.

I had a panel van that leaked from there in a good down pour, but the water was never seen as it collected at the front of the door runner as it was nose down on the drive.

Again either way, as long as it’s not a failure of an expensive item like the water heater core etc, I’d be inclined to make an offer in line with the current status, carry out the remedial s and enjoy getting out in it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Thanks everyone of all the useful replies. XxAnthxX - I'm inclined to ask the seller to have it checked out before I part with any money but if he refused then I might make an offer. Although I can't see why he wouldn't allow a £140 hab check to get the sale.
Of course there is always the worry that someone will just come along and buy it as seen without any checks at all.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would look for another van, if he's selling it like that without telling you and YOU actually discovered it what else has he not disclosed.

If he knew about it and hasn't said then he's dishonest and I would look elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Run for the hills there's always another one if this is what you can see.............................................

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Lorger, in the door and benches to the right that convert to a bed. Currently on Gumtree https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/citroen-relay-campervan-/1362896010
HPI check will do as well before parting with any money.

The van looks okay but just a couple of things to be weary of,
it says it only has a 40L water tanks this will be a struggle for two if you plan on using it for showers, our PVC and i think most had a 100L tank.
I think its a self build which isn't a bad thing depending on how good a job they have done and only doing a proper inspection will tell you this.
Layout, at first glance this layout makes a small van seem very roomy in my opinion that doesn't go for much :LOL: it also has several pit falls. If using it as a double bed it's not going to be easy to first crawl over someone to reach the loo but you then have to open the door, if someone goes to bed early or you get up at different times half the van is locked off to the other. You might have already done this if not I'd recommend making the beds up and seeing the difference and how easy/difficult it would be to access loo/shower. Does it have a shower?, try everything and imagine yourself stuck in the van on a winters night as you know we sometimes get rain up here.

What I'm trying to say is make sure your're 100% sure about the layout as this is the most important part of buying a MH as there's nothing worse than something that doesn't suit your needs.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
The clue is in the pipes, joints that carry water, if it had been damp for any amount of time the area would be discoloured, any wood would be blown etc etc.
Don't be put off get round there with the owner and inspect the pipes for any leaks it'll take minutes when the system is pressurised to find out if the there is a leak or not.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
The Dvla have no record of the model, but is registered as a class 4 camper van, which looks to have been registered as converted in 2016.

Its had MOT advisory’s recently.....nothing bad. Worn front tyre, binding hand brake and a chipped windscreen.

Oh and a failure for the horn not working, which now must be fixed.

The thing I’d be concerned with and would definitely be checking.....is that the emissions are registered as 999g/km, which would make it a group M road tax.....which is at present £580 pa. if paid in one payment. I’m sure this must be wrong, but ask what the road tax is a year, to avoid any nasty surprises.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
The van looks okay but just a couple of things to be weary of,
it says it only has a 40L water tanks this will be a struggle for two if you plan on using it for showers, our PVC and i think most had a 100L tank.
I think its a self build which isn't a bad thing depending on how good a job they have done and only doing a proper inspection will tell you this.
Layout, at first glance this layout makes a small van seem very roomy in my opinion that doesn't go for much :LOL: it also has several pit falls. If using it as a double bed it's not going to be easy to first crawl over someone to reach the loo but you then have to open the door, if someone goes to bed early or you get up at different times half the van is locked off to the other. You might have already done this if not I'd recommend making the beds up and seeing the difference and how easy/difficult it would be to access loo/shower. Does it have a shower?, try everything and imagine yourself stuck in the van on a winters night as you know we sometimes get rain up here.

What I'm trying to say is make sure your're 100% sure about the layout as this is the most important part of buying a MH as there's nothing worse than something that doesn't suit your needs.
Good point about the 40L tank although our caravan only had that and we managed for many years with just a 40L aquaroll. My wife and I had already discussed the toilet issue and good call to try it out in a sort of role play although it can be accessed thru the rear door. It doesn't have a shower which isn't a problem as long as there is a sink. Can remember many times in my younger days camping and getting washed in the burn next to the tent - not that I'll ever be doing that again
Very useful discussion Lorger and thanks for input.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
The clue is in the pipes, joints that carry water, if it had been damp for any amount of time the area would be discoloured, any wood would be blown etc etc.
Don't be put off get round there with the owner and inspect the pipes for any leaks it'll take minutes when the system is pressurised to find out if the there is a leak or not.
Hi Rob (or is it Chris??) thats what I think - that its the pipes. I had a feel around when we viewed it and he turned on the pump but couldn't feel any leaks but it was only a cursory fell. The plywood the water heater sat on felt dry and it was only underneath that had the wetness.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I only discovered that there was a small water leak at the water heater in my pressurised system when the pump would burst into life for a couple of seconds at night when the system wasn't being used in order to restore pressure . It took me several nights of being woken up by the pump before I realised what was causing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Lorger, in the door and benches to the right that convert to a bed. Currently on Gumtree https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/citroen-relay-campervan-/1362896010
HPI check will do as well before parting with any money.
Does look a nice van for the money, albeit with a decent mileage on the clock.

But, as has been suggested, do check carefully if the sleeping arrangements will work properly for you.

It does sound like the damp is most likely a plumbing issue, which should be straightforward to sort out, provided the water heater/boiler isn't US.

Good luck, whatever you decide. (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back