LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The food is just adequate,but the coffee is the worst coffee ever!! I plan to take sandwiches and a flask next time we travel. Since the tunnel stopped the frequent travellers discount this is our preferred crossing, Dieppe is a place we plan to spend more time in
Great market Saturday in Dieppe can take a while to walk arround

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
peterc10. Same comments as others above TBH Peter, also, the ferry's WiFi is pants. :( Don't forget to turn off your roaming on your phones for the crossing. ;)

Overnighting at Dieppe's large Auchan is permitted. Also, they have a 24/7 filling station which has an LPG/GPL pump.

Our first time sailing on that crossing was on 20th January at 17.00hrs, arriving Dieppe at 22.00hrs CET. Just right for parking up and getting our heads down for the night. Next day (Sunday) we had breakfast and serviced at Nonancourt, before carrying on south on empty roads.
We paid Ā£190.00, just under half of the Tunnel's quoted price. It's a no brainer šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø so we'll be doing it again at some stage. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ā£210 return ! That sounds so cheap. We've got a 6 metre A class with bike rack so would cost about the same as you. How does that compare with BF from Portsmouth to St Malo these days ?
We normally pay Ā£160 to Ā£180, two rates for Motorhomes up to 7m & up to 10m.
We are 7.5m always book as 7m.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Don't need to it's not BF.
How do you know that your phone won't connect to the Internet Lenny, if the ferry is using satellite comms.
I didn't know, but didn't want to risk an expensive connection. :(

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Just one more question. At Newhaven docks do we follow the freight lane or the car lane?
The car lane, straight ahead as you come through the gates Peter, with the terminal building on your right.

We have data roaming allowances in the EU on our phones, will that work once we get near France? Or has the ship got its own system?
So do we, but not knowing as explained above, I didn't want to risk getting stung unnecessarily.

Cheers,

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You can arrive at anytime you can just stop in front of the check in booths or car park.
If everyone is checked in early they often leave early.
Sadly we are on our way back on the midday sailing on 2 May. Do they let you queue at the check in booth after the last sailing at Dieppe as well? Seems that Dieppe dock is more secure than Newhaven, so when do they open the gates to get in?

I intend to take JockandRita advice and stay the night at Auchan, rather than paying ā‚¬18 for the Aires.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Sadly we are on our way back on the midday sailing on 2 May. Do they let you queue at the check in booth after the last sailing at Dieppe as well? Seems that Dieppe dock is more secure than Newhaven, so when do they open the gates to get in?

I intend to take JockandRita advice and stay the night at Auchan, rather than paying ā‚¬18 for the Aires.
Theres an aire just up the hill which is free and on the cliffs and if staying overnight the local kebab shop comes recommended at Belleville sur mer

Both Lenny HB and us have stayed there at least twice. Nothing else there apart from the view and silence

1714410347603.png

1714410408420.png

1714410386227.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Theres an aire just up the hill which is free and on the cliffs and if staying overnight the local kebab shop comes recommended at Belleville sur mer

Both Lenny HB and us have stayed there at least twice. Nothing else there apart from the view and silence

View attachment 891633

View attachment 891635

View attachment 891634
It is the overspill car park for a small concert/events hall so if stopping in summer or at weekends worth checking there are no events on.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010

Peter we stopped in the loading lane on our return last month as long as your ferry is the next to leave no problem.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
The Belleville s Mer one is no longer on p4n so they may have stopped overnighting up there.
We have used one at Le Petite Appeville, theres also a service point (no overnighting) just to the south at Le Plessis which is handy, all on p4n.

Pete

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I found it on Camper Contact on our way out last September, it was gone from all the apps when we came back end of October but we still used it and suavecarve used it after that.
Used it 25th March this year with 3 others who I no doubt annoyed when we got up to catch the 0600 ferry at 0430 wake up call

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
God I hate people like that, shouldn't arrive at an Aire after 10pm or leave before 7am.
I think it is acceptable if the aire is near a ferryport but ONLY IF they drive into a slot and turn the engine off immediately, no shunting about getting on wedges etc. Same on departure, prepare the night before & drive out quietly in the morning. The ones who really p me off are those that faff about then stand outside their van talking to each other at full volume.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I think it is acceptable if the aire is near a ferryport but ONLY IF they drive into a slot and turn the engine off immediately, no shunting about getting on wedges etc. Same on departure, prepare the night before & drive out quietly in the morning. The ones who really p me off are those that faff about then stand outside their van talking to each other at full volume.
I would just like to add that I would have passed the Dartometer test of early ferry departure on an aire near a ferry port

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back