New van has no oven or grill ..... how do other Funsters cook (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
MickandHelen
Apr 6, 2017
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
I rarely cook in the MH as I don't like washing up. I cook on an outside fire or BBQ (supplied by the state here at camping sites), baked potatoes in foil under the fire, eat off paper plates with wooden cutlery. And then burn plates and cutlery when I am finished.
You are very lucky to live there.

OP
OP
MickandHelen
Apr 6, 2017
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
Thanks everyone, so many options. I was thinking that maybe as there was no oven I could get away with not cooking so much and perhaps we could eat out a bit more, but hey, who can eat out at the moment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all,

We are due to pick up a "new to us" van next week, 2015 Carthago compactline. It has no oven and grill, just a 3 burner hob. We have been looking at perhaps buying a small electric mini oven and grill but thought we would seek some good ideas from other funsters.

Thanks all
Hello, we have a small Dualit 1400w compact grill oven. I can not praise it enough, light small, yet can cook a hole chicken, pizza bread etc. We use it of the inverter when no ehu and you can select top, bottom or both elements. Only draw back is, you can’t cook with it integrated, to hot. We place it on the worktop near the window, or outside on the table,

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Not only no oven or grill but only three gas rings also!
In spite of that, you don't hear many complaining so it must be acceptable.
Maybe they all eat out (BBQ or restaurant)?
Many will add electric devices to compensate but you'll need EHU for that.
You'll find that you can survive without, if you try, just don't expect to continue as you might at home.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all,

We are due to pick up a "new to us" van next week, 2015 Carthago compactline. It has no oven and grill, just a 3 burner hob. We have been looking at perhaps buying a small electric mini oven and grill but thought we would seek some good ideas from other funsters.

Thanks all
We have a 1000watt mini oven which is great for those part baked baguettes but ours has a foible in that turned up to full heat it trips the circuit breaker so can only be used at about 200degree setting which works for th baguettes’ etc. Most continental vans do not use ovens and grills which is why buying a continental make it is often an option at new. We also use a low wattage microwave but grilling only be on a BBQ, etc.

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
A thought, why spend all that time on cooking in an oven and a grill when there are better things to do while away in your van. Our last caravan with an oven and grill we gave up using as it was too much hassle.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
We have three rings no oven or grill and no bbq
We eat really well I think
I do have a double skillet and often think how to utilise it better for roasting and bread but really haven’t ever felt motivated beyond the thought!!
we do t eat out very much
It’s a different way of cooking but our menus are very varied!

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
In 7 years we've never had an oven or grill or microwave in our vans. In fact we've even ditched the microwave at home.

We prefer living differently in the van to at home, and as a result enjoy (well Jo mostly!!) creating 'one pan' meals, or using the Cadac when outside (I know funsters are deeply divided on the Cadac but we like ours!). Considering an Omnia but waiting to see how we get on when we're back on the road before committing to that!

The only thing Jo would like to cook in an oven whilst away would be jacket potatoes, but you'd use a lot of gas for a couple of spuds!!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Thanks everyone, so many options. I was thinking that maybe as there was no oven I could get away with not cooking so much and perhaps we could eat out a bit more, but hey, who can eat out at the moment.
I think if on EHU mostly, i would start with a Remoska

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We don’t miss having an oven/grill onboard, the 3 gas hobs and remoska cover most needs, Cadac works well for us as a gas bbq and is oven like when used with lid.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
As others have mentioned - Remoska on hook up & Omnia on gas replaces the need for an oven :)

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
We have three rings no oven or grill and no bbq
We eat really well I think
I do have a double skillet and often think how to utilise it better for roasting and bread but really haven’t ever felt motivated beyond the thought!!
we do t eat out very much
It’s a different way of cooking but our menus are very varied!
I believe it challenges you to move away from the normal and be adventurous inyour eating

Mar 21, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Don’t dismiss the idea of a double skillet/gas hob sandwich toaster/Ridgemonkey that other Funsters have referred to. Call it what you like but you will be amazed how much one of these simple gadgets can extend your menu repertoire for just a few £s

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
A thought, why spend all that time on cooking in an oven and a grill when there are better things to do while away in your van. Our last caravan with an oven and grill we gave up using as it was too much hassle.
You still have to eat! I'm not a massive fan of eating out, now and again is fine provided it's decent food but I quite like cooking in the motorhome or better still outside.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
In 7 years we've never had an oven or grill or microwave in our vans. In fact we've even ditched the microwave at home.

We prefer living differently in the van to at home, and as a result enjoy (well Jo mostly!!) creating 'one pan' meals, or using the Cadac when outside (I know funsters are deeply divided on the Cadac but we like ours!). Considering an Omnia but waiting to see how we get on when we're back on the road before committing to that!

The only thing Jo would like to cook in an oven whilst away would be jacket potatoes, but you'd use a lot of gas for a couple of spuds!!
You can do jacket potatoes in a Remoska.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We use our oven quite a bit. Neither my wife or I like BBQs. We will eat it but would never choose it if there is just the two of us. The oven is quite small and does take longer than at home but is easily good enough for cooking joints of meat, chickens, pies etc in. If I want to eat outside I just take my meal outside after cooking it using the kitchen inside.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks guys, We tend to be on EHU mostly. We don't use the grill much but do use the oven for cooking chicken portions, or those part baked rolls on occasions. Thinking about it now I do wonder whether we need anything.....
Omnia does both of those beautifully. just make sure if you decide to buy to get the silicon insert as it's a PITA to clean without it!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have the oven on top of the fridge freezer, waste of time as it just about warms things but doesn’t seem to cook, it may be as I had the heating on at the time.

We have a remoska and it works fine, little Weber BBQ and a 3 ring gas cooker for when outside.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
We bought an infra red oven for use on hook up which is kept in the mh garage They come in different sizes and £40 is plenty to buy one.

Not used it yet, admittedly, but I'm convinced it's the solution 😅

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-175201_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-175201_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 20

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't rush into this, but there's no harm in doing the research.
Remember that you have limited space (and payload) so you will not enjoy unnecessary clutter. I suggest you see how you can get on without the 'extras' before seeking solutions to problems that may not exist. Many manage without, and your particular requirements may not be matched by those solved above.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Havehad remoska for years motorhomes have gone but kept remoska its brill anddoes the best jackets ever : double skillet for none ehu andcheepo sandwich toaster for gas hob

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi all,

Thanks all
Don’t need an oven or grill. You can cook most things on 3 rings. Check out the vantastic couple who use an omnia

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have a Remoska, a small table top Cadac, a real BBQ and two small gas burners for outside. This covers everything for us.

You don't need an oven and grill. We also have a gas burner toaster, it was dirt cheap and brilliant, oh and a gas top sandwich maker.

Doesn't any one else heat up ready meals in an oven?

We love all kinds of ready meals especially Morrisons Curry's and all kinds of M&S ready meals.:clap2:
Cheap and simply heat to eat ---- Simples :Eeek:

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Electric mini oven with grill and rotisserie (Lidl 30l 1500q so only draws around 6.5 amp). Good enough for a full roast and we've cooked suckling pigs in it. A Remoska - brilliant bit of kit and again can be used to roast small chickens etc. Finally a cadac safari chef which is used pretty well constantly.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Doesn't any one else heat up ready meals in an oven?

We love all kinds of ready meals especially Morrisons Curry's and all kinds of M&S ready meals.:clap2:
Cheap and simply heat to eat ---- Simples :Eeek:
Sorry, `the only ready meals we eat are the ones I've made, which can be heated in the Remoska.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We do have a grill and oven. We use the grill for toast but have yet to use the oven (2 years) and we rarely used the oven in the caravan before. We have a remoska which I am determined to use more this year. We do have a microwave, but to be honest dont use that much either.
Bake bread in the remoska. If grilling bacon or burgers would use the remoska - grill takes far too long.
We rarely eat out and dont use ready meals.
There are plenty of meals for one or two pans - think of risottos, pasta dishes, salads, pulses etc etc.
Try getting a student cook book, maybe from the library, (electronic library at present) for ideas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back