New tracker suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We have a Sargent on current M/H ,they phoned up and said your m/H been has on the move on a certain date , I think it was 5 days after the movement !! Yes I said it was on the move without me in it when it was shook about on the Dover to Calais ferry !? Wouldn't buy one of theirs.
I parked the van on the Eurotunnel. I got a call within seconds of the train moving. It's a tracker fitted by VanBitz. Backed by MetaTrak.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Trackers can be found almost immediately with cheap e bay scanners so buy cheap.
Maybe maybe not but if you can you still have to find it and a decent one will alert the control room before it's moved.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Trackers can be found almost immediately with cheap e bay scanners so buy cheap.
They only transmit for a fraction of a second roughly once a minute when on the move. And much less often when they stop. So it's not that easy to detect them. And knowing a van has a tracker is different from being able to remove it. I installed one in my last van (not insurance certified) and it needed several panels of furniture to be extracted to get at it. The new one that was professional installed is quite a long way into the dash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
They only transmit for a fraction of a second roughly once a minute when on the move. And much less often when they stop. So it's not that easy to detect them. And knowing a van has a tracker is different from being able to remove it. I installed one in my last van (not insurance certified) and it needed several panels of furniture to be extracted to get at it. The new one that was professional installed is quite a long way into the dash.
I'm not up to speed with all trackers and I have even fitted one myself for under £30.0 and that's been working fine for years.
All trackers work from a GPS signal and these can be identified easily by trackers which can be purchased cheaply from the internet.
I'm thinking a professional theif will know how to combat a tracker, even the expensive ones. I beleive one can easily buy a GPS signal blocker. A more visable deterent might be better or multiple defences, even better.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm not up to speed with all trackers and I have even fitted one myself for under £30.0 and that's been working fine for years.
All trackers work from a GPS signal and these can be identified easily by trackers which can be purchased cheaply from the internet.
I'm thinking a professional theif will know how to combat a tracker, even the expensive ones. I beleive one can easily buy a GPS signal blocker. A more visable deterent might be better or multiple defences, even better.
GPS is received only. The tracker does not signal back to the satellites. Trackers do use mobile data. But as I mentioned, they don't actually ping the tower that often when the vehicle is stationary. A smart phone chatters all the time, but a tracker would be more of a pain to isolate. I bet you'd find it difficult to know anything beyond which end of the van it's in.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
GPS is received only. The tracker does not signal back to the satellites. Trackers do use mobile data. But as I mentioned, they don't actually ping the tower that often when the vehicle is stationary. A smart phone chatters all the time, but a tracker would be more of a pain to isolate. I bet you'd find it difficult to know anything beyond which end of the van it's in.
I think the vodafone one on current van checks in every 24 hours unless it's moved or engine started etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back