New to these ships of the highway (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2024
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
On order
Hello all

After over 30 years of yacht ownership and cruising around much of Europe, we have made the decision to step ashore and explore the inland bits we couldn’t reach by sea. Last autumn we visited several motorhome dealers together and got an idea of what was available and quickly learned that the motorhome lingo is not the same.

We already had a rough idea of what would work for us and I went armed with a list of requirements
  • Twin berth aft cabin
  • Head compartment with a separate shower
  • A forward saloon with plenty of portlights
  • A well equipped galley
  • A large lazarette and plenty of lockers for storage
  • A high coachroof
After totally confusing the first salesman we saw, Mrs P sat me down and explained that I needed to change my terminology to more like home
  • Rear bedroom with two single beds
  • Toilet with a separate shower
  • Sitting room with large windows
  • A well equipped kitchen
  • A large garage and plenty of cupboards for storage
  • Standing room throughout
That all helped the process along and after looking at many models we placed an order about 6 months ago. We are now very excited to be shortly taking delivery of a new Swift Voyager that seems to tick most of those boxes for us

I have been lurking on here for the last few months gratefully absorbing the knowledge that you all have imparted to others, thank you. I am sure that there will be much more to learn over the years and hopefully without making too many mistakes along the way! Looking forward to meeting many of you on our travels.

My best wishes, René

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Land or sea.... you can still go to the "heads"
Gosh you could start a new heads thread...
For you landluber moho'ers, that posh for a toilet thread.🤣🤣😂😂
Oh and welcome

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Welcome aboard RenéPact 🙂 like yourselves we boated for many years although motor boats as opposed to yachts, and actually got into the boat brokerage business here in Ireland although retired early now, but have spent the last 20+ years or so on land with various motorhomes and have to say we love the lifestyle & the total freedom it gives you, absolutely loved the water & still do but don't miss it at all, although still have a couple of boats in my yard that I take for spins every now and then but hope you enjoy the motorhome life as much as the sailing and many happy miles in the new Moho 🙂 Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
R
Jan 16, 2024
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
On order
Welcome aboard RenéPact 🙂 like yourselves we boated for many years although motor boats as opposed to yachts, and actually got into the boat brokerage business here in Ireland although retired early now, but have spent the last 20+ years or so on land with various motorhomes and have to say we love the lifestyle & the total freedom it gives you, absolutely loved the water & still do but don't miss it at all, although still have a couple of boats in my yard that I take for spins every now and then but hope you enjoy the motorhome life as much as the sailing and many happy miles in the new Moho 🙂 Paul
Thanks Paul, yes I am going to really miss being on the water but life moves on and we learn to adapt. Route planning will change quite a bit but at least it won’t involve tides and currents.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Hello all

After over 30 years of yacht ownership and cruising around much of Europe, we have made the decision to step ashore and explore the inland bits we couldn’t reach by sea. Last autumn we visited several motorhome dealers together and got an idea of what was available and quickly learned that the motorhome lingo is not the same.

We already had a rough idea of what would work for us and I went armed with a list of requirements
  • Twin berth aft cabin
  • Head compartment with a separate shower
  • A forward saloon with plenty of portlights
  • A well equipped galley
  • A large lazarette and plenty of lockers for storage
  • A high coachroof
After totally confusing the first salesman we saw, Mrs P sat me down and explained that I needed to change my terminology to more like home
  • Rear bedroom with two single beds
  • Toilet with a separate shower
  • Sitting room with large windows
  • A well equipped kitchen
  • A large garage and plenty of cupboards for storage
  • Standing room throughout
That all helped the process along and after looking at many models we placed an order about 6 months ago. We are now very excited to be shortly taking delivery of a new Swift Voyager that seems to tick most of those boxes for us

I have been lurking on here for the last few months gratefully absorbing the knowledge that you all have imparted to others, thank you. I am sure that there will be much more to learn over the years and hopefully without making too many mistakes along the way! Looking forward to meeting many of you on our travels.

My best wishes, René
That's a grand way of describing a bedsit on wheels :)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I'm just picturing in my head your new motorhome complete with a full set of sails. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks Paul, yes I am going to really miss being on the water but life moves on and we learn to adapt. Route planning will change quite a bit but at least it won’t involve tides and currents.
The way global warming is going just wait a year or two!:Eeek:

ps :HelloThere:

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Welcome, and just bear in mind wind and wind turbines don't work all that well on Motorhomes, you would be advised to have plenty of Solar for off grid needs like on a boat, so should be in good stead ;)

And do take all the whinging about site prices in UK we have here with a pinch of salt -> I'm responsible for some of the CAMC whinging, as I dont believe a members club ran for members should be consistently above private campsites and CL's given the scale, but it is...

My advice when you get it is to look for nice out of way CL's as your first introduction to motorhoming, we left it 4-5 months after we started in the motorhome to trying these, initially trying campsite instead. We've discovered now we far prefer independant campsites, and CL's to some of the larger campsites, and you often get sites for more in the region of £20-25 a niht max here. Offgrid, less, £10-15. Equally book by weather ideally a couple of days before so if you want a campsite, you can then guarantee a nice time. If its bad weather my advice is to use a parkup or less featured site...

Waterpump CL in Suffolk is a suggestion I would make if you've not visited, a site in middle of nowhere, just about walkabe to Framlingham (1.5 hours), a pub (5 mins) and many other walks off site, all for £20 a night cash. Just be sure to follow the "guidance on apparoach" as the entry from the main road is impossibe in one direction so you need to do a loop.

But equaly there are plenty of nice pub stops and non-paid for park ups if you check the relevant apps, as you have a motorhome of course, so don't need heat. Winters days motorhoming in the wilds are brilliant as a lot of people don't venture out that time of year, so we've found we are the only motorhome on a beachfront as one example at times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R
Jan 16, 2024
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
On order
Welcome, and just bear in mind wind and wind turbines don't work all that well on Motorhomes, you would be advised to have plenty of Solar for off grid needs like on a boat, so should be in good stead ;)

And do take all the whinging about site prices in UK we have here with a pinch of salt -> I'm responsible for some of the CAMC whinging, as I dont believe a members club ran for members should be consistently above private campsites and CL's given the scale, but it is...

My advice when you get it is to look for nice out of way CL's as your first introduction to motorhoming, we left it 4-5 months after we started in the motorhome to trying these, initially trying campsite instead. We've discovered now we far prefer independant campsites, and CL's to some of the larger campsites, and you often get sites for more in the region of £20-25 a niht max here. Offgrid, less, £10-15. Equally book by weather ideally a couple of days before so if you want a campsite, you can then guarantee a nice time. If its bad weather my advice is to use a parkup or less featured site...

Waterpump CL in Suffolk is a suggestion I would make if you've not visited, a site in middle of nowhere, just about walkabe to Framlingham (1.5 hours), a pub (5 mins) and many other walks off site, all for £20 a night cash. Just be sure to follow the "guidance on apparoach" as the entry from the main road is impossibe in one direction so you need to do a loop.

But equaly there are plenty of nice pub stops and non-paid for park ups if you check the relevant apps, as you have a motorhome of course, so don't need heat. Winters days motorhoming in the wilds are brilliant as a lot of people don't venture out that time of year, so we've found we are the only motorhome on a beachfront as one example at times.
Yes there seems to be much more whinging about camp site fees than Marina visitor mooring fees which are generally higher on the whole but the useable space within in a 7.5m Moho is much the same as a 12m yacht - no pointy bits fore and aft.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back