Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Look at this post made by Brisey, exactly the type of post that would have been made on facebook today and not here. Yet it brings all those members back to fun to read it. It strengthens fun rather than dividing it. Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Jim it's your forum and your baby, so I didn't expect you to agree with my viewpoint .. in principal it can be good.. but if not controlled I think a lot of content will be lost to the groups that could, or should be on the front page under recent posts ..

why do we need a group for a quiz, or a joke group.. will we have a Daily Mail appreciation group.. a shiftzz group.. we have a pets forum.. why does it need another group.. where does it end.. dozens of little groups ? At best this will fragment the content.. at worst it will become just a 'groups' forum

as I said, I hope I am wrong..only time will tell..

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@Jim it's your forum and your baby, so I didn't expect you to agree with my viewpoint .. in principal it can be good.. but if not controlled I think a lot of content will be lost to the groups that could, or should be on the front page under recent posts ..

why do we need a group for a quiz, or a joke group.. will we have a Daily Mail appreciation group.. a shiftzz group.. we have a pets forum.. why does it need another group.. where does it end.. dozens of little groups ?

as I said, I hope I am wrong..only time will tell..

Groups with a strong interest will survive. The others will just disappear, if there is no activity in a group for one month it disappears. but the forum, if there was one attached remains. Why do you think information will be lost?
As for the pets forum, that will be linked to the group and become part of the group.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I wouldn't have had the benefit of Briseys post if you had not used it as an example, and it wasn't on Recent Posts!! How would I have found it? Not that I'm interested cause I'm in Bordeaux (sorry Brisey;)) But it would be nice to know!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Jim Not 'lost' per se , lost in the sense it won't be on the Forum front page... which for me anyway, will make it a less interesting forum..

Another example.. I have no interest in the Uke group, I play guitar, but if they were looking for a guitarist how would I know .. ? I'm not going to read that group everyday.. That's just one example.. there are dozens more.. If group content is not on recent posts non group members will never read so may miss something that MAY have interested them..

it's only my opinion..

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I wouldn't have had the benefit of Briseys post if you had not used it as an example, and it wasn't on Recent Posts!! How would I have found it? Not that I'm interested cause I'm in Bordeaux (sorry Brisey;)) But it would be nice to know!!

But are you in Benidorm at the moment? Do we want the forum cluttered with Bendorm Funsters deciding where to go for a curry? However if you were in Benidorm, and were intersted that would be great information, pertinent to you and you'd join the group!.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Yes, I wondered that but I'm playing catch up and not sure if I just need a bit more time to see how it fits together.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
But are you in Benidorm at the moment? Do we want the forum cluttered with Bendorm Funsters deciding where to go for a curry? However if you were in Benidorm, and were intersted that would be great information, pertinent to you and you'd join the group!.
But I'M Nosy!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Groups seems like a reasonable idea, but the posts really do have to show up on the "recent posts" page otherwise I fear I will lose a lot of interest in the forum. I read that page avidly several times a day and containing, as it does, links to everything that's posted often draws me to read about things that otherwise would have passed me by, not being stuff I have a normal interest in.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Groups seems like a reasonable idea, but the posts really do have to show up on the "recent posts" page otherwise I fear I will lose a lot of interest in the forum. I read that page avidly several times a day and containing, as it does, links to everything that's posted often draws me to read about things that otherwise would have passed me by, not being stuff I have a normal interest in.

Posts in a group forum will show up on the forum recent posts as normal like this one; which is now part of the weight loss group Broken Link Removed see the difference. posts in that will always show up in recent posts. Though group chats won't, even though you can still see them if you wish.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Can I start a Group about Dribbling Gray Water, (which I love to do), and un-invite those that think its disgusting:)?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Read post 23 , that should put you right :)
Didn't mean about the private bit - more the what sparks interest in new things - :)

Just looking at the diet group which I want to join the page on an i pad mini is almost impossible to read - the thread/post titles
image.jpg

does this mean I have to use my device in portrait, which I never do as the screen is even smaller ?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Didn't mean about the private bit - more the what sparks interest in new things - :)

Just looking at the diet group which I want to join the page on an i pad mini is almost impossible to read - the thread/post titles
View attachment 51000

does this mean I have to use my device in portrait, which I never do as the screen is even smaller ?

I've got the same problem with the layout on my phone, ipad, laptop and computer. Perhaps something needs tweaking. Technical term.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Jim have you changed it ????? or was it always like this..

.. I now see three groups in the Forums Home page and new Group messages on Recent Posts

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have started a group for the Daily Quizer`s.... but cannot up/down-load a banner..

Could some kind soul stick this under the "Daily Quiz" group..

Ever so much ta... your`s truly Mr Thicko..:( (y)

daily-quiz-4-800x480_0001.jpg

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
have you changed it ????? or was it always like this..

I've not changed anything, group chats don't appear on recent posts. BUT if a group has a forum attached those posts will appear as normal, see post 76 in this thread.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've not changed anything, group chats don't appear on recent posts. BUT if a group has a forum attached those posts will appear as normal, see post 76 in this thread.

ok.. understood

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back