LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
All I would require is a name and address and possibly a phone number or website don't have a sat nav so don't even need GPS co-ords.
Surely it would be very easy and helpfful to pass on this information without ever mentioning Britstops or infringing cpyright.
Yes, it would be very easy. But should anyone be expected, let alone encouraged, to breach copyright? The infringement would still occur if the source were the Britstops book even if Britstops were not mentioned.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Camper contact also has a huge data base, which is free to access and download.. as far as I am aware it is not copyrighted ..

"Campercontact.com is free for everyone. This site is made possible by the NKC (Dutch Camper Club) and also employs +/- 20 volunteers to keep the information on the site up-to-date."

The difference is it is run by volunteers .. and non profit making .. surely a model for pub stops, that could be run by volunteers on Motorhomefun ?

as suggested by @chaser
There will actually be copyright in the database &c Jim. It's just that the people who run it allow a certain amount of usage without charge.

It's just the same as my POI database. It is free for anyone to download for personal use but that is where the permission/licensing ends. Any copying or re-publication in any form (especially at a charge) would be an unlicensed breach of copyright.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
meaning what exactly ?

I suggested some proposals to improve BS ..

this was a cheap jibe

Not at all Jim ,I like you are a scot ,
I've never bought the book for the simple reason that I phone ahead and ask if I can stay ,however on a site like this the content could and should be shared .
I could be wrong however I'm sure you ,and others when replying to threads in which people are looking for a place to stay,have hinted that they know of a place ,then suggested that unless you buy the book they would never know.

Vlad

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There will actually be copyright in the database &c Jim. It's just that the people who run it allow a certain amount of usage without charge.

It's just the same as my POI database. It is free for anyone to download for personal use but that is where the permission/licensing ends. Any copying or re-publication in any form (especially at a charge) would be an unlicensed breach of copyright.

yes indeed.. that makes complete sense..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
@Vlad The Impaler .. sorry.. and thanks

must have my touchy head on tonight (n)

That's ok Jim ,I enjoy many of your threads and have taken some of your advice in the past .
I think in the spirit of the site ,locations could and should be available along with details of antique sewing machines of course . :whistle2:

Vlad

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
however on a site like this the content could and should be shared .
How on Earth do you work that one out?

Whether one is a supporter of Britstops or not, the fact is that the publisher has put in a certain amount of effort and sells the results on the basis that it is protected by copyright. That is the same as with virtually every other book, film, music track &c published in the world and is in place so that the creator can obtain reward for his work if people think the cost worth it.

The logical extension is that everyone who is willing to work does so for nothing so that those who are not willing to work can have what they want without paying for it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've never bought the book for the simple reason that I phone ahead and ask if I can stay ,however on a site like this the content could and should be shared .
Just thinking about it since my previous post, there is an obvious way to achieve this.
All you need to do (completely independently of any source like Britstops of course) is to do the same research yourself (contacting all the pubs with car parks yourself) then set up a web site detailing those which will let people camp

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are ÂŁ20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

and make it free for everyone.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well I get updates from Brit stops regarding places that have 'joined' and those who no longer want to be in their book, so if you're a current subscriber to Brit Stops then you should get latest information.

absolutely correct.. thanks for pointing that out ..

not having the 2016 book, I forgot about the emailed updates..

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I guess it depends if you want to eat out . We stopped at a pub in Ireland but cost us more than a site would have and that is no problem if you intended to eat there. Here most restaurants especially rural ones are happy to let you stay if you are eating there so we would just ask .

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
All read with interest.
We've used Britstops for couple of years but still ring ahead to non Britstop locations to arrange things ourselves as per other MHF members, only once have we been asked not to pass it on as they did not wish the stopover publicised

Deleted User
I know next to nothing about copyright law but it seems to me that names, addresses, websites are available in the public domain for open distribution....I think they call it publicity.

If a person or company compiles a list of these details and does other detailed research and publishes such information in a certain format then I can see that such formatted information could and should be copyrighted.

If I as a member of this forum I ask if any other member has publicly available information regarding stopping places,I would hope that other members would provide that information regardless of whether such information be included in a guide. I would not expect a detailed copy of the report in the guide.

The issue of such overnight stops being members of a scheme where users of the facility have also to be members of the scheme, such as the ACSI discount scheme, is a different matter.

Sites that are members of the ACSI discount scheme pay a fee to ACSI, does Britstops operate a similar scheme?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If a person or company compiles a list of these details and does other detailed research and publishes such information in a certain format
They aren't just compiling a list, they are actively recruiting "hosts" - often businesses who've never considered allowing mohos on site - with a code of conduct for "guests"; also certain requirements for hosts, such as (as somebody mentioned earlier) they aren't allowed to pressure guests to spend with them - we've even been welcomed onto one pub carpark when the pub was closed due to an electrical fire. It is, though, considered polite for guests to at least look at any merchandise (if there's a grocery, vinery, craft shop etc) - and I think most people wouldn't begrudge having a drink if it's a pub or cafe. I managed all of my Xmas shopping at one place last year, and we've now got a favourite for stocking up our larder when we come home - it's about 200 miles so a good stopover for us.
The issue of such overnight stops being members of a scheme where users of the facility have also to be members of the scheme, such as the ACSI discount scheme, is a different matter.
Hosts are members, guests are members and have a windscreen sticker (though mine's never been asked for).
Sites that are members of the ACSI discount scheme pay a fee to ACSI, does Britstops operate a similar scheme?
Hosts (sites) don't pay a fee to be members of the scheme; the cost is borne by the guests, which I think is fair as the hosts aren't allowed to charge (except for any electricity hookup - these are rare, and not all hosts with it charge anyway) and seem happy just to be helpful.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We have been supporters of Britstops for 3 years and are happy to purchase the Book each year. The format is fine for us and we get monthly updates. We do not use it loads of times but think it is a great resource. In addition we like the Owners and think they do put a great deal of effort into Britstops. I have no interest in Copyright as life is too short. Each to their own, but work deserves reward!
Cheers
Bernie

Deleted User
They aren't just compiling a list, they are actively recruiting "hosts" - often businesses who've never considered allowing mohos on site - with a code of conduct for "guests"; also certain requirements for hosts, such as (as somebody mentioned earlier) they aren't allowed to pressure guests to spend with them - we've even been welcomed onto one pub carpark when the pub was closed due to an electrical fire. It is, though, considered polite for guests to at least look at any merchandise (if there's a grocery, vinery, craft shop etc) - and I think most people wouldn't begrudge having a drink if it's a pub or cafe. I managed all of my Xmas shopping at one place last year, and we've now got a favourite for stocking up our larder when we come home - it's about 200 miles so a good stopover for us.

Hosts are members, guests are members and have a windscreen sticker (though mine's never been asked for).

Hosts (sites) don't pay a fee to be members of the scheme; the cost is borne by the guests, which I think is fair as the hosts aren't allowed to charge (except for any electricity hookup - these are rare, and not all hosts with it charge anyway) and seem happy just to be helpful.

Thanks for that information, I did not realise that Britstops operated such a system of membership and exclusive use of sites included in the guide. If I were to spend more time in the UK then I would consider buying the guide and joining the system. I am not averse to buying guides etc, I am a member of the ACSI discount scheme and have several guides published by Vicarious Books because they are useful to me.

I still stand by comments about fellow members of this forum helping one another with publicly available information and locations.

The issue of copyright does not interest me much either, that issue was brought into the discussion by others and I was simply stating my point of view on the issue.

Reactions: CWH

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
An interesting list of other organisations that have followed the France Passion model..

Courtesy of France Passion..

ITALY:
- Fattore Amico fattoreamico.com

GERMANY:
- WinzerAtlas
- LandvergnĂĽgen landvergnuegen.com

GREAT-BRITAIN:
- Brit Stops britstops.com

PORTUGAL:
- Portugal Tradicional portugaltradicional.com.pt

SPAIN:
- España Discovery espana-discovery.es

SWITZERLAND:
- Swiss Terroir swissterroir.ch- Special rates for France Passion members

USA / CANADA:
- Harvest Hosts harvesthosts.com- Special rates for France Passion members

AUSTRALIA:
- Farmgate Mate

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
An interesting list of other organisations that have followed the France Passion model..

Courtesy of France Passion..

ITALY:
- Fattore Amico fattoreamico.com

GERMANY:
- WinzerAtlas
- LandvergnĂĽgen landvergnuegen.com

GREAT-BRITAIN:
- Brit Stops britstops.com

PORTUGAL:
- Portugal Tradicional portugaltradicional.com.pt

SPAIN:
- España Discovery espana-discovery.es

SWITZERLAND:
- Swiss Terroir swissterroir.ch- Special rates for France Passion members

USA / CANADA:
- Harvest Hosts harvesthosts.com- Special rates for France Passion members

AUSTRALIA:
- Farmgate Mate
Thanks for that Jim
I just joined the Spanish version
Would have joined the Portugese version too but sadly their website isn't working properly

Looking forward to using the Spanish version to see the 'real' spain

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I still stand by comments about fellow members of this forum helping one another with publicly available information and locations.
Absolutely agree!
(Except for my all-time favourite secret spot, that somebody else "outed" yesterday :LOL: )

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Ok here's my thoughts as a newbie to mh I feel ÂŁ30 is reasonable for the book. However year on year same charge is excessive. How about a reduced charge for a yearly supplement detailing changes ie additions and deletions.
This can be ÂŁ5 or ÂŁ10 etc
For those who just want to know this info and happy to use supplements I know I would it's a compromise
For those who cannot be bothered to cross referencereference between books then purchase a new one.
This give people a reasonable choice.
Otherwise I feel some peeps will buy book once and never bother again. Why spend ÂŁ30 each year on something you already have and not knowing what the difference is.
Also it's damn expensive I'd rather just ring to check if still members and yes may not know about new sites so to counter that I'd buy every 3/ 4 years maybe longer.
Like people say plenty of free apps around.
I follow a Scottish motorhome Facebook group where the guy who runs it's provides all this info for free nice Google map references for all free stop overs in Scotland.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for that Jim
I just joined the Spanish version
Would have joined the Portugese version too but sadly their website isn't working properly

Looking forward to using the Spanish version to see the 'real' spain

just had a browse of the locations on the Google map.. , looks excellent..

will definitely buy when we next visit .. (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Wouldn't it be great it Britstops got together with all of the similar European partners such as France Passion and developed an app covering all hosts in Europe
They could split the revenue between them and offer an improved and more cost effective service to subscribers (us), and remove all the waste of printing books which are out of date the moment they are published

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Wouldn't it be great it Britstops got together with all of the similar European partners such as France Passion and developed an app covering all hosts in Europe
They could split the revenue between them and offer an improved and more cost effective service to subscribers (us), and remove all the waste of printing books which are out of date the moment they are published

you mean the same model as the EU ? :eek:

Britstops would have to subsidise FP and all the others.. :ROFLMAO:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
you mean the same model as the EU ? :eek:

Britstops would have to subsidise FP and all the others.. :ROFLMAO:
OMG never thought of that
Might also be a problem visiting the European ones once the Channel Tunel has been bricked up

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Don't know if Jim (Ringleader) would think it's a good idea, but could Brit Stops and Motorhomefun have some sort of tie-in ? IE Motorhomefun holds an online database of Britstop sites and only paid up members of MHF can access that info. Maybe there would have to be a seperate, additional fee to MHF for that resource ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Don't know how I can suggest this without threat of being banned for life,
But I think you will find most of the Britstops and France passion on here
http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/ As well as all Aires and campsites.:Eeek:
Excuse my being mardy but I wonder how many Searchforsite members realise that the site uses data stolen from legitimate businesses?

Not a basis for building a sustainable ethical website

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
I must admit to not buying/using britstops. The reason is I cant see how the can demand exclusive use of the stopovers. Surly if they are not paying the stopovers then they cannot expect them to turn customers away if they have not bought the book. We are more than happy to ask any pub etc if they are happy for us to stay. If yes they get our business if not they don't. I accept the fact that the company has made the effort to gather the information and publish the book but year or year it is expensive, might consider it if an app was available at a reasonable charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back