Netgear M2100 - how do I improve download speed? (2 Viewers)

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Looking for someone who has a working knowledge of the Netgear Nighthawk M2100.

I have just purchased a Netgear M2100 and having set it up with my phone Vodafione sim, I am a bit disappointed with the 4g speeds.
My Iphone is currently downloading at around 50mbps and uploading at 8mbps. When I put the sim in the Netgear I am achieving a download of 26mbps and upload of 8mbps.
I was expecting to be a lot quicker than my phone, are there any setting I can play with to speed things up?

Thanks
Howard

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Howard B If you have the setting on 2.4ghz you can try changing it to 5ghz to see if that speeds it up.
It also depends on how many people are using 4g wifi as at certain times of the day the download speeds can really take a hit.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
What model iPhone - simply it might have a better modem
Are there any external antenna connectors on the M2 - again your iPhone might have better reception

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Phones tend to have the latest and greatest modems. MiFi type devices are often a little behind.

Slightly different positions can provide wide swings in performance. I worked on a project that collected traffic data and sent the data back over 4/5G. We had instances of the setup giving better bandwidth when doing a quick pre-check at ground level than 4m up a lighting column. Or the signal getting worse being when the bloke lowered the cherry picker. Or being better when we put the modem and antennas on the side that we knew wasn't facing the mast. Phone signals are a black art.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Thanks for the responses
To answer the questions:
It was set to Dual band wifi originally. I have redone the test on 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz, still nowhere close to the Iphone
I did the tests with the iphone and M2 within 5 mins of each other using the same sim in the same place.
I use an Iphone SE 2020 which is about 3 years old now.
Not tried with external antenna yet as I was expecting it to at least be on a par with my iphone.
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
It'll depend entirely on the mast your connected to. If it's congested, you'll get less bandwidth, if it's rural and potentially lower frequency, you'll get less bandwidth. Two devices even close together may affiliate to different masts.

The WiFi leg can only be as fast as the mobile network supporting it.

If you can get into an urban area where masts tend to be high frequency with good bandwidth (but short range), that'll be a guide as to the best you can expect.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
It'll depend entirely on the mast your connected to. If it's congested, you'll get less bandwidth, if it's rural and potentially lower frequency, you'll get less bandwidth. Two devices even close together may affiliate to different masts.
Thanks, was expecting the M2 to be faster than the Iphone SE using the same sim in the same location.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
In my experience, in locations with a strong signal and relatively uncongested network, my phone would outperform my MiFi. Out in the sticks where there's just a whisp of signal is where a MiFi with an external antenna excels.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Howard B If you have the setting on 2.4ghz you can try changing it to 5ghz to see if that speeds it up.
It also depends on how many people are using 4g wifi as at certain times of the day the download speeds can really take a hit.
That has nothing to do with it, the 2.4 & 5Gb is the wifi on the LAN side of the router.
The 4g is the data speed on the WAN side.

I never used to have any problems but on our last trip depending on the location, on the phone I was getting 35 to 90 mb/s, sim in the Mifi 6 to 12 mb/s.
Two different sims, sim companies said no restrictions on use in a Mifi I've come to the conclusion the networks still restrict it and not much you can do about it apart from using a data sim

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Thanks, was expecting the M2 to be faster than the Iphone SE using the same sim in the same location.
Understandable. Now on the edge of what I understand, but there's a lot of variation in antenna setups and configuration. Given how much the fruit based stuff is they ought to be state of the art.

I guess the difference is no one feels the need to always buy the latest MiFi dongle just to be cool, so there's no incentive to keep upgrading the tech.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
That has nothing to do with it, the 2.4 & 5Gb is the wifi on the LAN side of the router.

I never used to have any problems but on our last trip depending on the location, on the phone I was getting 35 to 90 mb/s, sim in the Mifi 6 to 12 mb/s.
Two different sims, sim companies said no restrictions on use in a Mifi I've come to the conclusion the networks still restrict it and not much you can do about it apart from using a data sim
Not always true. I've been limited by my WiFi when the 4G side was going full tilt... But I was a short distance away in the house and connected to the router in the van. The speed test from within the router config screen gave me 150Mb/s but I was only (!) getting 90Mb/s via the laptop... Going into the van eliminated the difference.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not always true. I've been limited by my WiFi when the 4G side was going full tilt... But I was a short distance away in the house and connected to the router in the van. The speed test from within the router config screen gave me 150Mb/s but I was only (!) getting 90Mb/s via the laptop... Going into the van eliminated the difference.
Unlikely to apply in a Motorhome, 5g does not like sold walls I used to always turn 5g off in the house until I fitted a Mesh system

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Bought it as i thought it may have been an improvent on a Teltonika Router, it certainly has an easier interface. However it doesnt seem much better, so will probably sell it on.
Thanks for the responses (y)

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No

Just for your information and I don't profess to be an expert.
Two speed test today.
1. 2.4 ghz
Screenshot_20230629_184019_Meteor.jpg
2. 5ghz

Screenshot_20230629_184030_Meteor.jpg
I consistently get faster wifi speeds on the 5ghz band wherever I am.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
This is my phone speeds, semi rural location. Netgear is only hitting around 25mbps download

IMG_4773.PNG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back