Nationwide FlexPlus Travel Insurance (2 Viewers)

Jan 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
A heads up for those who have a Nationwide FlexPlus account. From the 1st May the insures will be changing to Aviva.
Here is the link

The good news for me is over 70s will be covered as standard.
Ive just been upgrading my travel insurance with the Aviva cover through Nationwide, as I am over 70 and both me and the wife have existing medical conditions, the quote that came back from Aviva was an extra £110 for me plus an extra £284 for the wife. So the wife just checked on Confused .com and they came up with two seperate covers, mine was £100 and hers £115, both with Admiral. But if she went direct through Admiral for a joint cover, it increased to £639 !. So its worth shopping around.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Any over 80s using Nationwide?? BUSBY.
Yes Judy is over 80 and her basic underwriting with Aviva is about the same as last year with UK Insurance. £150 + £30 for me just for Statins. The main bugbear is that they insist on pre-booked return travel which I am taking to the Ombudsman because it is illogical and unreasonable and has been imposed on us by Nationwide not changing to like for like.
I wish others would complain because they are saying I am the only one complaining.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I wish others would complain because they are saying I am the only one complaining.
I had a phone call today from Aviva as a follow up from my original complaint.

I doubt Aviva will alter their stance, as the 'advisor' couldn't grasp the concept of motorhoming, ie.. not booking a return journey, or wanting multiple over 30 day trips a year.

Though he tried to be helpful I felt I was flogging a dead horse, he ask if I wanted to forward an official complaint to Aviva, and what about, but I'd had enough after being on the phone with him for over half an hour.

Nonethess I did say yes and listed what I thought could be improved, they need to be much more flexible in their approach to people who don't take package holidays, which I think is all they're interested in.

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
It may have been mentioned, but with 8 pages of comments I am just going to apologise for repeating the info.
The new insurance (Aviva) doesn't kick in until your previous one (UKI) has expired, NOT necessarily on May 1st.
For us it's the end of September.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It may have been mentioned, but with 8 pages of comments I am just going to apologise for repeating the info.
The new insurance (Aviva) doesn't kick in until your previous one (UKI) has expired, NOT necessarily on May 1st.
It has been mentioned several times, particularly from those who took the decision to renew with UKI when their cover expired in the days just before Aviva took over.

Nitram77

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2020
Kettering, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Some, but still alot to learn!!
Yes Judy is over 80 and her basic underwriting with Aviva is about the same as last year with UK Insurance. £150 + £30 for me just for Statins. The main bugbear is that they insist on pre-booked return travel which I am taking to the Ombudsman because it is illogical and unreasonable and has been imposed on us by Nationwide not changing to like for like.
Don't believe them, that you are the only one complaining ... that's what they said to the sub postmaster!! Stick with it.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It has, several times, but I guess if others don't want to read the full 8 pages either they wouldn't know.
Mine expires May 29. I go abroad May 21st. On the website Aviva clearly say they'll write to you when renewal is due which they did, last week, and I renewed online in 10 mins, effective May 29. Dead simple.
(My granddad used to get himself in stew when change was involved. ;))

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Just to add:
Myself & husband rang Nationwide on April 27th as we had a holiday booked from 29th April for 2 weeks. My husband pays extra for an existing condition. We were told by a Nationwide operative that it would mean that after the takeover my husband would remain with UK insurance & myself would be with Aviva!
We said that sounds incorrect but she assured us it was right.She told my husband to ring UK direct to add his extra cover, UK insurance then said no that’s not correct your insurance is linked to your joint account and not two individuals.
We asked Nationwide to please clarify in writing and were asked to fill in a complaint form! We were not complaining just wanted clarity!
Any how two days ago here in sunny Gran Canaria husband gets a call from Nationwide to clarify situation and apologise that we were given conflicting advice and operative said to my husband just before he was about to ring off you will be receiving a £25 into your account for the miss communication!
So we will be covered under existing rules until this time next year and will take a view on Aviva when we need to renew!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Mine is due for renewal in July.. I will complain bitterly regarding return booking. BUSBY.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I see Lloyds annual multi trip insurance is £21 a month, anyone know how much to extend the 31 days?.
Last year it was £90 for 45 days and £180 for 62 days that's for 2 people, half that for one.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Theyve changed tickets now - there’s another class of ticket slightly but not exorbitantly more. which allows you to cancel

I will look into to this. If you can book a ticket that you can just cancel and get a full refund then thats ideal. I don't use the tunnel but happy to buy a ticket knowing I can cancel later and get my money back. Sounds to good to be true though.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I bought a standard for me and one to cancel for my son - both for cars in August
If the joint trip was cancelled ( he doesn’t always stick to plans!!) I reckoned we could transfer our booking to the next van trip but he would be unlikely to be able to make any plans

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I think you are confusing things here. It's only additional insurance for specific medical conditions that carry on. If you don't have any of these add ons then your cover changes to Aviva on 1st may, what ever date you signed up. Nationwide policies do not work on a annual basis they are rolling policies month by month.

It has been mentioned several times, particularly from those who took the decision to renew with UKI when their cover expired in the days just before Aviva took over.

Am I correct, that my account that I opened on 11 Feb will stay with U.K. insurance until next year.
No, not if you didn't take any additional policies with UK insurance for specific medical conditions. Only specific additional cover purchased through UK insurance will carry on for a year after purchase date.

It has, several times, but I guess if others don't want to read the full 8 pages either they wouldn't know.
Mine expires May 29. I go abroad May 21st. On the website Aviva clearly say they'll write to you when renewal is due which they did, last week, and I renewed online in 10 mins, effective May 29. Dead simple.
(My granddad used to get himself in stew when change was involved. ;))

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I think you are confusing things here. It's only additional insurance for specific medical conditions that carry on. If you don't have any of these add ons then your cover changes to Aviva on 1st may, what ever date you signed up. Nationwide policies do not work on a annual basis they are rolling policies month by month.

No, not it you didn't take any additional policies with UK insurance for specific medical conditions.
Which is why some of us renewed when our cover for specific medical and additional cruise cover expired.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny HB , I was about to change until I read breakdown cover.
  • Roadside Assistance across the UK, Channels Islands and Isle of Man .
And size limited won't even cover most Motorhomes in the uk.
Works for us as we have a staff account and only pay £10.50 and the medical cover is very good a list of over 50 conditions you don't have to decleare most of which NW charge you extra for.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have an upgrade from last year that expires on the 27th June. We depart the UK on the 1st of June, planning to spend 4 months (ish) in the E.U. I wanted to discuss my next upgrade with Aviva Nationwide insurance but I'm unable to do so as I cannot register my Nationwide travel insurance account with them and this has to be done before I can advance any further.
Reading the original notification from Nationwide about the transfer it does say it will be gradually migrating customers over to the Aviva system from May 1st and customers who have an upgrade will be notified before their upgrade expires. So if like me your wondering why you cannot register with Aviva Travel insurance and have a live upgrade, it would appear you have to wait untill they contact you. Contacting Aviva about this issue is a waste of time.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Lloyds still covers you till 80 years old and that's the only reason I stay with them, I will move banks after that

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Lloyds still covers you till 80 years old and that's the only reason I stay with them, I will move banks after that
Someone on here replied earlier that his wife is 82 and still covered by Nationwide..BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back