Nationwide breakdown! (6 Viewers)

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Also re VXmans query I read the policy document some weeks ago ( I’m not going to do that again now) and I recall there’s a different insurance provider for europe hence the different stipulations

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I have a NW joint account which includes breakdown.
Do you get an AA Breakdown credit type card as proof of membership?

If you download the AA app there is a facility to register your membership via your Nationwide account details. You can then enter details of ALL your vehicles so they are available for them to view if necessary.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks Spriddler

On the NW website it still say's Breakdown Cover through the AA.
Yep, I've just realised that although I remembered being informed in Feb by N'w of the change to Aviva it doesn't apply til May 1st and I think that's when cover for breakdown or travel (maybe both) insurance transfers to the new provider. I haven't bothered to check who it is as luckily in 11 years relying upon N'w I've not had much experience with claiming (just the one puncture on my drive at home) so it'll be what it'll be. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
It’s travel that’s changing May 1st
AA is under written by two underwriters for UK And Europe

From the beginning of the policy document
Section B: Status disclosure
Your UK & European Breakdown Assistance Policy is provided by three different insurers:
• Roadside Assistance, At Home and National Recovery are provided by Automobile Association
Developments Limited (trading as AA Breakdown Services). Registered office: Fanum House, Basing View, Basingstoke RG21 4EA. Registered in England and Wales Number: 01878835.
• Onward Travel and European Breakdown Cover are underwritten by Acromas Insurance Company Limited. Registered office: 57-63 Line Wall Road, Gibraltar. Registered Number 88716 (Gibraltar).
• Accident Assist is underwritten by AA Underwriting Insurance Company Limited. Registered office: First Floor, Grand Ocean Plaza, Ocean Village, Gibraltar. Registered Number 106606 (Gibraltar).

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Also re VXmans query I read the policy document some weeks ago ( I’m not going to do that again now) and I recall there’s a different insurance provider for europe hence the different stipulations

Well it would be as it's AA in UK and they won't go into Europe. However, it was more me just musing why it would be different as they will all use similar recovery vehicles. Actually, it's probably more of a surprise that there is no limit in the UK! They'd have to tow a 9 metre van rather than put it on the back of a truck.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Yes - had a bit of bother in uk when we were with ADAC- AA were their partner
Right palaver trying to get recovered to chosen garage - and pay fir that cos it was more than than their limit
I wasn’t impressed to learn NW were changing to AA

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I know nothing about NW recovery except what I have read above. Could someone please tell me how much it costs etc, as our Arivals renewal is due in a couple of months
TIA

You open a Flex Plus current account with Nationwide. It costs £13 per month. In addition to the current account you get......

1. Breakdown cover (AA in UK) for any vehicle you or your partner drive in the UK and EU (including Motorhomes up to 7.5 ton but limited to 8 metres in Europe.)
2. Worldwide Travel insurance with Aviva* (up to 30 days but you can pay extra to extend) for you, partner and children. *It is currently with UK insurance but is changing to Aviva on May 1st.
3. Mobile phone insurance

It really is a bargain.

No. I have a N'wide card with contact numbers for calling from U.K. and Europe.
I think since about Feb '24 the service is provided by Aviva, not the AA.

It's the Travel insurance that changes to Aviva on May 1st. Breakdown is still with AA - that changed last year sometime.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thought is was 26 foot.BUSBY.
Close, but Terry wins the prize!
It’s travel that’s changing May 1st
AA is under written by two underwriters for UK And Europe

From the beginning of the policy document
Section B: Status disclosure
Your UK & European Breakdown Assistance Policy is provided by three different insurers:
• Roadside Assistance, At Home and National Recovery are provided by Automobile Association
Developments Limited (trading as AA Breakdown Services). Registered office: Fanum House, Basing View, Basingstoke RG21 4EA. Registered in England and Wales Number: 01878835.
• Onward Travel and European Breakdown Cover are underwritten by Acromas Insurance Company Limited. Registered office: 57-63 Line Wall Road, Gibraltar. Registered Number 88716 (Gibraltar).
• Accident Assist is underwritten by AA Underwriting Insurance Company Limited. Registered office: First Floor, Grand Ocean Plaza, Ocean Village, Gibraltar. Registered Number 106606 (Gibraltar).
26 ft 2 ins 😉
Spot on! I'm an ex-surveyor and worked exclusively in metric since the early seventies. Never did get the hang of these feet and inches things,!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have used the AA in the UK for the car and also had to claim on the mobile phone insurance.

Both were excellent, it’s an absolute bargain.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
I have used the AA in the UK for the car and also had to claim on the mobile phone insurance.

Both were excellent, it’s an absolute bargain.

We once claimed on their mobile phone insurance when Mrs JRT dropped her iPhone (pre water resistance) in the washing up bowl and it was also problem free.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We once claimed on their mobile phone insurance when Mrs JRT dropped her iPhone (pre water resistance) in the washing up bowl and it was also problem free.
I can only say it was excellent, son lost his very expensive phone Sunday evening and a new one arrived first thing Tuesday morning with just a very simple online form filled in at 11pm on Sunday night. £100 excess to pay but it was a £600 phone.

Sep 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Motorhome 7.5m. 4.4T. Nationwide Flex /AA cover.
We recently broke down in mid France with a Handbrake that had seized on. We were collected on a low loader within 2 hours to a garage where we overnighted. Next day the Handbrake was removed & we continued our journey home (auto gearbox & some chocks). Garage were too busy to fix, but after explanation we were fine to continue our
IMG-20240318-WA0000.jpg
journey.

On day 2 somebody from AA in France told me we were not covered for forward journey nor repatriation as over 3.5T. Cue phone call to nationwide AA UK who confirmed we were covered. French AA were encouraged by me to read the specific clauses on the policy & they changed their minds. We were covered. AA paid all fees.

Home now, new Handbrake ordered.

Jun 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
We have a FlexPlus account with Nationwide. It costs £13 a month and for that we get breakdown cover for all our vehicles including campervan, and including in Europe, annual travel insurance for the 2 of us which includes cruises, and cover for loss/theft of our phones. At £156 a year it’s saving us 100s as the travel insurance alone would be more than that!

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I agree. I posted previously how the AA recovery service questioned and initially refused my recovery in Spain because I was over 3.5 ton. This was despite my new vehicle recovery agreement with Ford. I have since set up a Nationwide account to get the benefits that others have claimed for vehicles over 3.5 ton. But I still wonder why the AA have different terms with Nationwide compared with Ford for pretty standard UK motorhomes. I hope I won't ever have to test the Nationwide cover in anger. The rather obstructive AA call agent I dealt with in my Ford-related call added a lot of fuel to an already stressful situation.
I think it differs because they can .For various reasons we have always had both AA and RAC and over the last 40yrs have always found the AA both roadside and office worse and difficult also misinformed. At one time i imaginged they must get a bonus for being awkward. (do bear in mind these are my experiences and i,m sure there are many good experience been had by others)

May 7, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne
Exp
newbie, years of tent camping
I have a NW joint account which includes breakdown.
Do you get an AA Breakdown credit type card as proof of membership?
No, you just ring the number on your bank card and they put you through to the AA, have used it 3 times, twice in a 4.5tonmotorhome and once in a car, we’ve had no problems, had our granddaughter with us one time they were out in les than an hour.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I can only say it was excellent, son lost his very expensive phone Sunday evening and a new one arrived first thing Tuesday morning with just a very simple online form filled in at 11pm on Sunday night. £100 excess to pay but it was a £600 phone.

I lost my phone recently in Thailand. Pointless claiming with Nationwide as my brand new Xiaomi Redmi 12 was £89. 😀

I did wonder what extra you get for £600, £800, £1000?? Ok, my camera isn't the best in the world of phones but other than that it seems to do all I want excellently.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Morning

Please read the small print on the travel insurance

The policy changes on the 1st of May, partners aren't cover anymore from the 1st May, so you need to have a joint account or an account each

Children's also change as the age does change from 24 to 23 yrs old

Last edited:
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Because the 3.5 limit is for vehicles other than motorhomes..as covered in point 2.
Yes indeed, assuming that confirmation bias doesn't make you believe you're not covered before you get anywhere near point 2 ie "Vehicles must not exceed any of the following dimensions "

Hence why some people feel it's not as clear as it could be.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Morning

Please read the small print on the travel insurance

The policy changes on the 1st of May, partners aren't cover anymore from the 1st May, so you need to have a joint account or an account each

Children's also change as the age does change from 24 to 23 yrs old

Not true!

You will no longer be able to extend your cover with a ‘guest upgrade’ to include anyone else who is travelling with you, your partner or your children.

So no guests not no partners.

From the new policy document...

Eligibility - Who is covered

This policy provides cover for the following ‘insured person(s)’
• ‘You’ – the Nationwide FlexPlus current account holder,
• ‘your partner’ who lives at home with you,
• ‘your children’ - you and/or your partner’s dependent children aged under 23 when the tripstarts (including stepchildren and foster children).

Goodness knows why children up to 23 should be covered. Kids are no longer kids when they leave school (at 18!!!)

Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Over the last few weeks there has been discussions re the Nationwide breakdown service. Several members have stated they will NOT cover you if your MH is over 3.5.

I have recently had a conversation with NW and they state that YOU are covered if over 3.5.

Part of their main exclusions or limitations read as follows.

Vehicles must not exceed any of the following dimensions .

1. MAXIMUM VEHICLE WEIGHT: 3.5 TONNES (3.500kg) GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT.

2. MAXIMUM VEHICLE WEIGHT FOR MOTORHOMES ONLY: 7.5 TONNES GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT.

3. MAXIMUM VEHICLE WIDTH 2.55m (8’3”) WHICH CONSTITUTES THE OVERALL WIDTH OFTHE VEHICLE BODYWORK EXCLUDING MIRRORS, MEASURED AT THE WIDEST POINTS.

4. MAXIMUM VEHICLE LENGTH (IN EUROPE ONLY): 8M (23ft)

Colyboyi
I've just checked (again) on the Nationwide website. It's very confusing and contradictory. For a start, 8 meters is 26.2467 feet, not 23 feet. However, reading through all the information I'm covered with my 4000kg 7.4 meters Autotrail Apache .

Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
I have the Nationwide Flex account breakdown cover. Would I be silly to assume that my campervan will count as a motorhome in the event of needing to use the service? Or should I contact them to be sure?

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
We have a FlexPlus account with Nationwide. It costs £13 a month and for that we get breakdown cover for all our vehicles including campervan, and including in Europe, annual travel insurance for the 2 of us which includes cruises, and cover for loss/theft of our phones. At £156 a year it’s saving us 100s as the travel insurance alone would be more than that!
Yes £ 156.00 Per year, But I had to pay extra £328.28 for 45 day trip extention and age extention plus Medical cover. So £ 484.28 in total.
So if you are under 65 with no medical conditions and only need 31 day trips it is very cheap.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes £ 156.00 Per year, But I had to pay extra £328.28 for 45 day trip extention and age extention plus Medical cover. So £ 484.28 in total.
We are 72 and 78..couple of notifiable medical problems..82 days multi trip costs us just under £300 including monthly fee.
BUSBY..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back