National Trust Mission Creep (2 Viewers)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We tried voting for the Restore Trust candidates at the last AGM (online) but that came to nothing. As long as the situation allows the Chair discretion to use all the huge number of proxy votes whichever way they want, all the Restore Trust resolutions and candidates, who don't have the Chair's approval, will fail. The first step has to be to change the voting rules.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
I would suggest that Restore Trust should attempt to gather a little more support before attempting to rig future elections. Though well organised, they have a tiny number of votes, and little prospect of effecting change at present. On close examination those at the helm of Restore Trust are self-selected, from the usual suspects, and their personal obsessions seem at odds with the aims of the NT.
I am completely satisfied with the interpretive efforts of the NT in relation to the properties and our history and value the educational contribution it makes. One is entitled to disagree with those efforts but stoking a faux culture war issue is unlikely to be fruitful.
Personally I wouldn’t let them within a country mile of governance of any national institution.

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
I would suggest that Restore Trust should attempt to gather a little more support before attempting to rig future elections. Though well organised, they have a tiny number of votes, and little prospect of effecting change at present. On close examination those at the helm of Restore Trust are self-selected, from the usual suspects, and their personal obsessions seem at odds with the aims of the NT.
I am completely satisfied with the interpretive efforts of the NT in relation to the properties and our history and value the educational contribution it makes. One is entitled to disagree with those efforts but stoking a faux culture war issue is unlikely to be fruitful.
Personally I wouldn’t let them within a country mile of governance of any national institution.
I have not been an NT member for several years but have followed the concerns of Restore Trust closely. I am surprised at the tone of RT “rigging” elections; if anything, their concern is that the NT board are “stoking a faux culture war” when they are diverting from their declared charity task of looking after NT properties, by introducing Pride lanyards for volunteers, delving into previous owner’s sexual proclivities, getting rid of highly skilled conservators, etc.

Equally, one could suggest that it is the NT board rigging elections by using the Quick Vote device which gives your vote the the board as proxy. To vote against, one has to do the long-winded rigmarole. It is not surprising that the board are not giving members a vote on whether QV is a fair system!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I was disturbed on a recent visit to Belton house when I enquired about touring the servants basement which I'd done before - oh no, it's being used as a store facility before we turn the property into an "experience"

Can we not visit stately homes anymore without having to 'experience' them?

:banghead:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I was disturbed on a recent visit to Belton house when I enquired about touring the servants basement which I'd done before - oh no, it's being used as a store facility before we turn the property into an "experience"

Can we not visit stately homes anymore without having to 'experience' them?

:banghead:
It seems that youngsters now have the attention span of a gnat. Everything has to be presented as ‘sound bites’ or touchy exhibits.

It leaves us oldies, who like to stand, read and absorb information, with a headache 😂

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Go Woke Go Broke.
We weren’t going to renew this year but our eldest son surprised us with a renewal for a joint Christmas present.

Well we have voted, thanks for the link. Seems to me if you have to rely on people being lazy using the quick vote mechanism you don’t really believe in democracy but just want your own way.
We have only been to 3 properties this year and two of those were in Scotland.
Unsure if we will renew again.

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Go Woke Go Broke.
We weren’t going to renew this year but our eldest son surprised us with a renewal for a joint Christmas present.

Well we have voted, thanks for the link. Seems to me if you have to rely on people being lazy using the quick vote mechanism you don’t really believe in democracy but just want your own way.
We have only been to 3 properties this year and two of those were in Scotland.
Unsure if we will renew again.
We joined the Nat Trust for Scotland; it is cheaper and a bit less woke, and you get into English NT properties free. So if you go to Scottish houses , as Yorkshire dwellers you have a double bargain!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Not seen this thread before. I visit NT properties a lot and hadn't been aware of it being 'WOKE' (whatever that means) or to there being any problems that bother me when visit. The only thing that bothers me is the boring volunteers in the rooms that insist of talking to you!! They should offer a 'don't bother me' badge to those who don't want to be talked at.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Not seen this thread before. I visit NT properties a lot and hadn't been aware of it being 'WOKE' (whatever that means) or to there being any problems that bother me when visit. The only thing that bothers me is the boring volunteers in the rooms that insist of talking to you!! They should offer a 'don't bother me' badge to those who don't want to be talked at.
With you on that one. I like my peace and solitude when I’m walking around the houses, but the trust volunteers do insist on butting in and spoiling my peaceful tour, especially the Reginald’s and Farquhar's, as they seem to prattle on regardless.

I just walk away, it shouldn’t offend anyone as they weren’t invited in the first place 👍🏻

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
They wanted to identify estates whose wealth was built on the slave trade and inform visitors.
Shame about the volunteers, some are lovely and have a great knowledge of the place

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Wouldn't be a NT member again for love nor money.
I lived for over 30 years with one of their cottages on our land and with their land adjoining ours.
I won't bore you with the horror stories all the locals experienced.
If wanting to visit heritage properties chose ones which the families still own

Jul 24, 2022
St Albans, UK
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Motorhome noobs: Looking for a motorhome/campervan
I lived for over 30 years with one of their cottages on our land and with their land adjoining ours.
Historic Houses are quite good, often still owned by the families. We have HH and NT and get good value from both.

The only downside of some of the Historic Houses is opening times as they are often occupied so they open every Tuesday afternoon for 2 months of the year for a tour by the owner. However, that'll be less of an issue when we stop working full time and we'll make it to some of these smaller houses.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
They wanted to identify estates whose wealth was built on the slave trade and inform visitors.
Shame about the volunteers, some are lovely and have a great knowledge of the place
What's wrong with educating the visitors where the money came from? We visited the Jail in Nottingham one of the interesting things was the penalties that were used for very minor offences and the way the "justice" system used to work. They also ought to be detailing the lives of servants on the estates.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

I have no problem with that. That's just part of the history of the estate. It's interesting to know how the people who built these places made their money. I don't imagine any of them deserved such wealth. It was all gained from by privilege and at the expense of others.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
National Trust member's is great value for a normal adult, even better for a couple and outstanding for a retired couple. I think the NT do a great job keeping these important historical treasures and their gardens open. Many of these places would have fallen down if not taken on by the NT as the owners could not afford to keep them.

Oct 13, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Homesmith
Exp
since 2015
I think the NT is great value for money. We usually get our money's worth very soon after paying the annual membership each year; we regularly use their carparks on MH trips, we often find an NT property on a journey for a lunch stop and a leg-stretch.

The volunteers are usually knowledgeable and fascinating.

I'm a fan.

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Many of these places would have fallen down if not taken on by the NT as the owners could not afford to keep them.
While this true I fail to see the justification for buying land, cottages & small homes in places like National Parks.
The Park Authorities keep tight rein on unnecessary building etc .
The NT buy homes (which locals could have) & then turns them into holiday lets.

They also 'scene set' their properties sending items collected by the previous owners to other NT houses - often at the other end of the country.
I knew an old couple (both sadly dead now) who worked for the Lady of the manor before she left her place to the Trust.
They had paintings on their walls which she had done. They bought them in the local jumble sale where the NT had 'donated' them

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
NT may upset a few members.

It is reported that whist Ramadan and Diwali is diarised in their new calendar, Christmas and Easter are not.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019

It is reported that whist Ramadan and Diwali is diarised in their new calendar, Christmas and Easter are not.
"It is reported"? So, is it actually true or is this just fake news of the sort favoured by certain groups of people who would sow dissent where there is actually harmony?

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
"It is reported"? So, is it actually true or is this just fake news of the sort favoured by certain groups of people who would sow dissent where there is actually harmony?
They have actually provided an explanation, however I doubt many try to find out if such statements are true.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We would cancel life membership of the NT if we could get a refund!

We voted for the Restore Trust candidates and resolutions. The NT board always seems to win, and ignores the views of traditionalists.

Wokery and diversity has no place in preserving national heritage. A one-sided presentation of slavery is sheer propaganda aimed at the younger generation. Now the NT board wants to cancel Christian festivals in their Calendar, in favour of Hindu and Muslim festivals. You wonder what else they are planning to do. They are the ones waging a culture war, not us.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

It could be said that most people probably know when Christmas is although with Easter being a pagan festival based on the phases of the moon it's harder to predict

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Now the NT board wants to cancel Christian festivals in their Calendar, in favour of Hindu and Muslim festivals. You wonder what else they are planning to do. They are the ones waging a culture war, not us.
Another one to state this, are you sure of your facts?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back