MRO and Payload (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
bailey adamo 75-4dl
I recently purchased a new motor home. 4 Berth Adamo. The MRO was quoted as 3160 kg with a payload of 340 kg. I loaded the van up weighing stuff as I was loading, give or take a few things. I though I was well in. On the way home from a week away, I stopped at a weighbridge. I was 60 kg over. Half tank of fuel. Waste tank empty. 20 litres fresh water. 10 litres in heater. Wife and dog.

When I studied the Bailey marketing literature, generous 340 kg payload was emphasised, but in the small print it stated that the MRO had a tolerance of +/- 5%. The quoted MRO was based on the weight of the vehicle they submitted for type approval and could have been tweaked since. Adblue is not included. It more likely to be towards the top end of tolerance. Which means my payload could be 181 kg.

The van has 4 beds and 4 seatbelts. Which you would expect is intended to transport 4 people. 3 average sight people would take the van over legal limits. The Bailey experts on the Bailey Facebook site. Say just up plate it, which I can’t. They also commented what family of four would buy a 3500 kg van. I guess most newbies would just look at the number of beds.

Vans should be weighed at the end of the production line a ticket put on the window so that you see the true payload. Or a fictional one.

Jul 22, 2020
Newent, UK
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T6900
Exp
changing a load of things again
The plate on my motorhome has exactly the same figures as yours. Do you have a 9 speed auto box ?

I also have the same size wheels/tyres and up plated to 3960kgs . No alterations needed, and all done with the help of Dee at Van Weight Engineering.

Patrick
yep 9 speed. going through the process now

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
EU towing rules are already different to those in the UK. In France for instance you can't tow a car on a trailer unless it's for recovery over a short distance and the E/B trailer component is up to a max train of 4250kg. In the UK now you don't need a further test for BE and the max train can be upto 7500kg.
What? You can’t tow a car on a trailer? Since when?
it’s the only legal way to do it in France!

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
As per the RAC, I quote...

Towing in France​

On a standard driving licence, motorists are allowed to tow a trailer with a maximum authorised mass of 750kg, including the trailer and its load.

You’re not allowed to tow a motor vehicle except in the event of a breakdown or an accident and if the distance to be travelled is short. This practice is banned on motorways where the assistance of a recovery vehicle must be sought.

It is forbidden to carry people in a moving caravan.

France has a 'tolerance' for motorhomes due to the ambiguity of their specific laws. They allow a small vehicle to be towed on a vehicle specific trailer although technically it's still illegal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

Towing in France​

On a standard driving licence, motorists are allowed to tow a trailer with a maximum authorised mass of 750kg, including the trailer and its load.

You’re not allowed to tow a motor vehicle except in the event of a breakdown or an accident and if the distance to be travelled is short. This practice is banned on motorways where the assistance of a recovery vehicle must be sought.

It is forbidden to carry people in a moving caravan.
I think you will find the 750kg limit is for unbraked trailers.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
EU towing rules are already different to those in the UK. In France for instance you can't tow a car on a trailer unless it's for recovery over a short distance and the E/B trailer component is up to a max train of 4250kg. In the UK now you don't need a further test for BE and the max train can be upto 7500kg.

Towing in France​

I think you’ve missed the distinction between towing a motor vehicle, which is generally not allowed, and towing a motor vehicle on a trailer, which is.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
How many motorhome owners who tow a vehicle on a trailer through Spain know it must have it own log book and separate red number plate - Remolque Pesado & Permiso de Circulación.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I think you’ve missed the distinction between towing a motor vehicle, which is generally not allowed, and towing a motor vehicle on a trailer, which is.
Nope, I think the majority don't bother to read the specific country laws and have zero knowledge of the definition of what is tolerated and what isn't.

How many owners of 3500kg motorhomes travel across France at 110 or 130 k/ph because they think it's legal to do so when in fact it isn't. The restriction kicks in after 3499kg.

How many flagrantly miss use the tolls only paying the minimum for a van over 3m in height? You see it on the mind numbing Youtube Vlogs all the time.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
How many owners of 3500kg motorhomes travel across France at 110 or 130 k/ph because they think it's legal to do so when in fact it isn't. The restriction kicks in after 3499kg.

please post a link to the official site that states the speed limit is for 3499kgs and below! the restriction is vehicles over 3500kgs not over 3499kgs as far as i know.

BUT! as always happy to be Proved i am incorrect.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp

Towing in France​

…. …
France has a 'tolerance' for motorhomes due to the ambiguity of their specific laws. They allow a small vehicle to be towed on a vehicle specific trailer although technically it's still illegal.
With all due respect, that’s a misrepresentation of the towing regs.
By “standard driving licence” they are referring to a “B” licence, without the +E. It was the same in the U.K. before DfT dropped the “+E” requirement.

With “grandfather rights” which most motorhomers have, you can drive up to 8250kgs Gross train weight.

My eldest son has lived in France for the last 20 years. He tows an Ifor Williams Horsebox which is fully homologated (matriculated) over there. The trailer weighs around 950kgs, the horses are around 500kgs each. He is towing with a Transit van.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
How many motorhome owners who tow a vehicle on a trailer through Spain know it must have it own log book and separate red number plate - Remolque Pesado & Permiso de Circulación.
That’s simply not true for trailers used in a non commercial capacity when they are being used as in a visiting Motorhome combination scenario.
UK registered motorhomes with U.K. trailers comply to U.K. regulations when visiting Europe, with the addition of “U.K.” identity stickers and, where applicable, Angles Morts stickers.

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2020
Newent, UK
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T6900
Exp
changing a load of things again
yep 9 speed. going through the process now
because i have a DD for my Tax i need to sorn til end of nov so i can change the tax class also.

3960kg :cool:
IMG_1852.jpg

will post the lovely DVLA peps 1st dec
Billy

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Glad I'm wrong as after I'd read all that I decided not to have a tow bar fitted, I was planning to tug a Skoda Citigo now the missus is retiring.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back