Moving on from towing a caravan. (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
searching for one to
Hello everyone.

We are a retired couple, Brian and Jane. Both retired.

So. Last year we decided to take up caravanning. Although great in itself. Its also quite a palaver. So now decided to bite the bullet and get a 4 berth motorhome and towcar. We already keep the caravan in storage, so can exchange the place to the motorhome.

We are taking our time in selecting the right moho, just know we want 2 fixed single beds at rear, front seating, towbar and alde heating. Also separate shower, IE not a wet room.

We seem drawn to the Swift Balero fixed bed version. Prices seem to vary between 2012/13 at 35k and 2017 ish for around 50/55k. These are dealer prices.

Would be interested in peoples thoughts and recommendations on what we should do next.
We are in Winchester Hants

Regards folks.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Welcome. Would ask what’s the difference towing a caravan and towing a spare car?
We’re ex tuggers and enjoy the freedom of not towing and the flexibility of moving around easily. Appreciate everyone is different though. Just my initial thoughts….

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Last year we decided to take up caravanning. Although great in itself. Its also quite a palaver. So now decided to bite the bullet and get a 4 berth motorhome and towcar.
you think less palaver with a tow car ?

I have had both and don't think so..

same hitching up as a caravan but unlike a caravan it cannot be reversed.. so in a jam you have to unhitch and drive the car... that is a palaver ..

you also have addition costs, tax , insurance, maintenance, repairs and MOT

If you decide to go abroad the car would need to be on a trailer.. A frames are illegal in most EU countries.

lost to consider.. but a tow car nullifies the flexibility and ease or driving a motorhome

just my thoughts

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Hi and welcome
We had a 2012 Bolero 724FB which would be similar to what you are looking at except the beds. Obviously you need the C1 licence at this weight (4250kg).
My thoughts on owning after 10 years was that the seating with the half dinette for the extra travel seats was actually not that comfortable for 4 when lounging as only the passenger seat user had the option to put their feet up on the near side bench when only us two and if 4 occupancy watching TV was not workable as dinette users face the opposite way and near side bench is in line with TV bracket.
Alde heating absolutely great but standard gas bottle storage (2 x 6kg max size) was soon used. We had a big underslung tank fitted to almost double the gas capacity.
Also the end bathroom is the best for space and a good shower size.
Engine at 150bhp towed a Corsa at almost 1300kg with ease. Generally we only take the toad if planning a longer stay in one place as using a bus is is cheaper and easier for shorter stopovers.
The prices you mention are fairly typical but personally I dislike the latter colour scheme with the piano black and thought the earlier ones better.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
:welcome4:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
F
May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
searching for one to
you think less palaver with a tow car ?

I have had both and don't think so..

same hitching up as a caravan but unlike a caravan it cannot be reversed.. so in a jam you have to unhitch and drive the car... that is a palaver ..

you also have addition costs, tax , insurance, maintenance, repairs and MOT

If you decide to go abroad the car would need to be on a trailer.. A frames are illegal in most EU countries.

lost to consider.. but a tow car nullifies the flexibility and ease or driving a motorhome

just my thoughts
Thanks for your thoughts.

We already need a bigger car (Volvo xc60 2.5) Gas guzzler. So a small 1 litre car more economical, for fuel, insurance, road tax, etc. It will also be our run around car when not touring.

I can understand the no reversing with towcar behind, but will tackle that when the occasion warrants it.

Im sure the benefits of using a towcar for getting around when parked up on pitch far outweigh having to pack up and take the motorhome to tesco.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Welcome. Would ask what’s the difference towing a caravan and towing a spare car?
We’re ex tuggers and enjoy the freedom of not towing and the flexibility of moving around easily. Appreciate everyone is different though. Just my initial thoughts….
in three words "dog wagging tail" and not the other way around .. we moved from towing a 2 ton, twin axle caravan with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. and even with that tow car the car was lighter than the caravan "Tail wagging Dog"
we moved to a 4.25 ton motor home, towing a fiat 500 on an Aframe, don't even know it behind you. we use the motorhome as a caravan really, staying in one location for 3/4 days and use the little toad to visit and collect our wine :LOL: i can hook and unhook the toad in less than 3 minutes
but we are all different and use our toys in a way that suits us

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back