MOTORHOME INSURANCE .... AAARGGHHHH (3 Viewers)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have been with Comfort for years but they hiked the premium a little too much. Had a long chat with Caravanguard and went with them as it was actually better coverage

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
My head is just about exploding and I'm frazzled, I've spent ages doing MH insurance quotes (due 25/4) and it's driving me nuts! I've had stupid quotes from some companies and others won't cover us due to value and/or tracker not being Cat 5. :rollingeyes:

My current insurer is Comfort and last year cost Ā£508 including recovery for 8000 miles, this year it's Ā£683 which is a 34% increase!!!! :swear: I can reduce it to Ā£631 if I go down to 6,000 miles but still a lot more than last year. :whatthe:

So far I've tried Caravan Guard, Safeguard, C&MC (pretending to be a member!), LV, Performance Direct, Lifesure (other less well known ones I can't remember now), not done APlan, NFU or AIB yet as they're telephone quotes only.

Gonna have to spend tomorrow morning ringing around to see if I can get it down as that's a ridiculous % rise. I'll also ring Comfort and tell them just how OTT the cost is, don't suppose it'll do much good though!

Anybody got any suggestions for ones that I might have missed? Also ref NFU - which offices would be the best to ring around my area (East Yorkshire/North Lincolnshire).
Same for us. Big increase with Comfort. Couldnā€™t be bothered with all the hassle of comparisons and paid it. Did try to reduce with them but got nowhere. Promised Julie Iā€™ll have a closer look next year.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How about this one
Rang the local Beverley one out of interest and they do MH insurance so got a quote from them for Ā£573 but they don't do recovery as its over 3500kg so if I add that on top, around Ā£108, I'd be looking at Ā£681. Also their contents insurance is max of Ā£1,000 so not good. They now underwrite the policies themselves and this I recall from when I enquired last year has made their prices higher than they used to be.

Try Lexham
Thanks, I've done an online quote and it came out at Ā£516 'like for like' without breakdown, with their b/d it's Ā£636, or with a separate one it's Ā£624 so a little bit cheaper than Comfort but I need to look at the policy docs.

Comfort give you a price and that's it don't waste your breath ringing them.
I didn't need to ring them, they just rang me! :giggle: Told the lady that the price was ridiculous (nicely) and went through options as to how to get it down, looked at value and even reducing that didn't make a blind bit of different, the only thing that would is reducing the mileage from 6,000 to 4,000 which would knock about Ā£50 off but then it would cost Ā£25 plus the extra pro-rata cost to add it back if we wanted to in the future so no 'gain' really. She said that the costs have gone up around 20% but I said my insurance had gone up by 34% so they only thing she could come up with is that my existing postcode is now classed as a higher risk area! :swear: This is probably why all the insurance is quite high for us now. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Rang the local Beverley one out of interest and they do MH insurance so got a quote from them for Ā£573 but they don't do recovery as its over 3500kg so if I add that on top, around Ā£108, I'd be looking at Ā£681. Also their contents insurance is max of Ā£1,000 so not good. They now underwrite the policies themselves and this I recall from when I enquired last year has made their prices higher than they used to be.

Thanks, I've done an online quote and it came out at Ā£516 'like for like' without breakdown, with their b/d it's Ā£636, or with a separate one it's Ā£624 so a little bit cheaper than Comfort but I need to look at the policy docs.

I didn't need to ring them, they just rang me! :giggle: Told the lady that the price was ridiculous (nicely) and went through options as to how to get it down, looked at value and even reducing that didn't make a blind bit of different, the only thing that would is reducing the mileage from 6,000 to 4,000 which would knock about Ā£50 off but then it would cost Ā£25 plus the extra pro-rata cost to add it back if we wanted to in the future so no 'gain' really. She said that the costs have gone up around 20% but I said my insurance had gone up by 34% so they only thing she could come up with is that my existing postcode is now classed as a higher risk area! :swear: This is probably why all the insurance is quite high for us now. :(
Very usefulā€¦.. thanks Minxy. I will go easy on the garlic next week when venturing north of the bridgeā€¦ā€¦

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
My head is just about exploding and I'm frazzled, I've spent ages doing MH insurance quotes (due 25/4) and it's driving me nuts! I've had stupid quotes from some companies and others won't cover us due to value and/or tracker not being Cat 5. :rollingeyes:

My current insurer is Comfort and last year cost Ā£508 including recovery for 8000 miles, this year it's Ā£683 which is a 34% increase!!!! :swear: I can reduce it to Ā£631 if I go down to 6,000 miles but still a lot more than last year. :whatthe:

So far I've tried Caravan Guard, Safeguard, C&MC (pretending to be a member!), LV, Performance Direct, Lifesure (other less well known ones I can't remember now), not done APlan, NFU or AIB yet as they're telephone quotes only.

Gonna have to spend tomorrow morning ringing around to see if I can get it down as that's a ridiculous % rise. I'll also ring Comfort and tell them just how OTT the cost is, don't suppose it'll do much good though!

Anybody got any suggestions for ones that I might have missed? Also ref NFU - which offices would be the best to ring around my area (East Yorkshire/North Lincolnshire).
I had pretty well the same increase from Adrian Flux as you talk about (almost identical figures.

I have gone with a company called Ripe which was mentioned in another insurance post on MHF

Got way more cover for less money.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Ripe Insurance have been mentioned a lot - fairly new to MH world but not heard bad report yet.
NFU for me via local chap I can call or email anytime.
Hi Jev88, search online for Ripe, so many bad reviews I didn't bother to call them .

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I had pretty well the same increase from Adrian Flux as you talk about (almost identical figures.

I have gone with a company called Ripe which was mentioned in another insurance post on MHF

I tried ripe previously but our tracker is only Cat 6/7 so they wouldn't cover us but out of interest I've just done a quote 'pretending' we had a Cat 5 and by the time I've added in the extras to match our existing policy its over Ā£100 more than Comfort's renewal quote.

Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
I tried ripe previously but our tracker is only Cat 6/7 so they wouldn't cover us but out of interest I've just done a quote 'pretending' we had a Cat 5 and by the time I've added in the extras to match our existing policy its over Ā£100 more than Comfort's renewal quote.
We dont even have a tracker, maybe it is postcode dependant? we live in a very low crime area.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We dont even have a tracker, maybe it is postcode dependant? we live in a very low crime area.
Tracker is normally dependent on the value of the van, nearly all companies including NFU who never required a tracker now insist on a Tracker & Alarm for values over Ā£100k.

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
My renewal end of Feb jumped up from Ā£380 to Ā£760, so a 100% increase.
No claims, no changes just another years no claims.
I went on a comparison site and got a quote of Ā£218 for my Ā£25k van from a company called Staveley Head.
I've no idea what they are like to deal with, same as I had no idea what my previous insurers were like to deal with as I've never made a claim.
I went with Staveley Head.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Probably down to value, many now want a tracker over Ā£80k and Ripe want one of the higher category ones.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

Just tried a dummy quote, no cover over 100k!

Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Just tried a dummy quote, no cover over 100k!
I think I fitted in nicely with with the customers that Ripe are looking for, low crime rate maybe less than Ā£50K value, no points etc.

I am quite pleased with what we got in terms of coverage, the big thing was euro breakdown cover and still Ā£100 less than Adrian Flux

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My renewal jumped almost Ā£200 this year and Comforts quote was almost Ā£800 for the exact same deal terms as AIB who I'm renewing with at Ā£576 with full european cover. They seem the best by far for us.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My renewal jumped almost Ā£200 this year and Comforts quote was almost Ā£800 for the exact same deal terms as AIB who I'm renewing with at Ā£576 with full european cover. They seem the best by far for us.
Our Comfort renewal is Ā£520 van insured for Ā£75k.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Lenny & others with Comfort Ins, I learned a trick last renewal, I valued the van at Ā£74,999.00 and that did the trick, no tracker required and cheaper quote.
Maybe do the same for a newer van if possible, value it at Ā£99,999.00, you will still need a tracker but at least the companies that wont insure over 100K, should be able to quote. I know it sounds obvious but many are still in shock at receiving the quote numbers.:eek: and the insurance companies dont even suggest it as a compromise.
Minxy, wait until you get your home insurance renewal, our 20 year no claims history with LV buildings cover unlimited,& contents 75K, with legal & accidental damage, so no changes went from Ā£27PCM to Ā£47PCM. Did a comparison, looked at reviews feedback on claims, that eliminated the cheapest two, so might have a look at Tesco.
My Direct Line Landlords cover has arrived now, too scared to open it yet, need a large whiskey 1st.
LES

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Maybe do the same for a newer van if possible, value it at Ā£99,999.00,
Times change hardly any decent vans under Ā£100k now. When we were looking at Compactline's 3 years ago I was expecting to get one for about Ā£90k. Now with price increases and no discounts its costing Ā£30k more. At least my 7 year old van is still worth what we paid for it and that offsets the increase by Ā£20k
wait until you get your home insurance renewal, our 20 year no claims history with LV buildings cover unlimited,& contents 75K,
Renewed ours in November went up from Ā£130/year to Ā£175 couldn't find anything cheaper that was with Sainsbury's

Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Halved our home insurance this year. Was with LV but they wanted Ā£350; did comparison and went with Sky Protect for Ā£150, underwritten by Zurich so a decent enough company.
Home insurance Ā£1450 !!

If you dont mind me asking roughly what are you insuring for Ā£150?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I took out insurance with them yesterday (Best Quote). Did it online and did not take club membership yet insurance cover was issued. I spoke with 2 advisors over 2 days on queeries. One said no need to join and discount already applied. Other one said you have to join and will get a call around 3 weeks after taking policy out forcing you to join. I cant see them making me join after issuing policy ??? We shall see, no doubt they will try it on.
An update to the above for anyone intersted.
So, Insurance policy arrives in post with a cover note stating I must take out club membership to validate my insurance ? I phone the CAMC and tell them when I took out the policy online there was no requirement for me to take out membership and no membership number was submitted when completing their online quote questions.
A policy was then issued after making payment. ! They were adamant I had to take their membership!
So, I said OK. Send me an email informing me I must take out membership after receiving my policy and I will take out membership, then make a formal complaint to the Ombudsman on the basis that you should have made it clear to me before taking my payment that I was required to do this. A conversation was then had at the other end with a manager and then I was informed on this occasion we shall not be persuing this any further.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Home insurance Ā£1450 !!

If you dont mind me asking roughly what are you insuring for Ā£150?
Ā£1450 sounds a really big premium to me. It does of course depend on the terms we always go for a very basic insurance and carry a lot of the risk ourselves we don't have new for old or any expensive jewellery etc.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Has anyone had any recent claims dealings with Adrian Flux or their insurers ( or claims processors ),
I received a good priced quote from them, but have heard some not so good stories when having to make a claim

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Times change hardly any decent vans under Ā£100k now. When we were looking at Compactline's 3 years ago I was expecting to get one for about Ā£90k. Now with price increases and no discounts its costing Ā£30k more. At least my 7 year old van is still worth what we paid for it and that offsets the increase by Ā£20k

Renewed ours in November went up from Ā£130/year to Ā£175 couldn't find anything cheaper that was with SainsburLenny, how many consecutive days per annum non-occupancy with Sainsbury's home insurance
Lenny, how many consecutive days unoccupancy are you allowed with Sainsbury's?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back