1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Motorcycle trailer

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by talaris, Nov 19, 2012.

1. talaris

talaris Funster

Done a search but cannot really find what I want.

Want to tow a bike, either a 1200GS or a Triumph Rocket, both about 260kg wet. I need a trailer and am looking either to get a a Brian James micro max with the centre filled and put the bike on a removable rack in the middle or something like the Phoenix Big 1 trailer which has the top filled.

Need a flat base as these are heavy bikes and want to reload safely.

Would also like a wide ramp to make it easy to get on.

BJT is braked and has the benefit of allowing a Smart car to be used as and when we may get one.

Phoenix is unbraked and lighter to manoeuvre and takes less space on a pitch.

Do I need brakes at that weight?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.
  2. Arthur01

Arthur01 Funster

Phoenix Trailer

We recently purchased a Phoeniix Big Bike trailer, For a BMW 1200 LT approx 350kg.
    Wide ramp to get on the trailer, checker plate floor, the front wheel lock will not hold the bike upright so you need to have straps etc prepared prior to rolling on to the trailer.
    We used it to go to Cornwall recently and had no real problems in towing, the only issue is the practical aspect of moving the trailer & bike when you need to hand shift it on grass or a bit of a slope, I did ask Phoenix about caravan movers on the wheels but the chap had never heard of them before.
    Overall quite pleased with the trailer.

regards

Arthur
  3. f6c

f6c Funster

Towed a F6C no brakes no Problem:Wink:
  4. talaris

talaris Funster

Thanks Arthur. Had a couple of LT's fantastic bike and just sold one to get the rocket.

Is the loading ramp good and stable.. Guess it must be with that big bike on it..

Like the Phoenix but they are a long away away so cannot see one beforehand so good to hear feedback..
  5. gasman2008

gasman2008 Funster

Motor bike trailer

I have a Trailer Tek 3 bike trailer http://www.trailertek.com/category/motorcycle-trailers/ I have removed the outer 2 wheel blocks and tow my Harley on it. Had it for some years now with no problems. You can tow a total weight of 750kg un-braked. I also use the it as a general trailer, as it is a flatbed.
  6. phil1946

phil1946 Funster

We have sold the TOAD and bought a box trailer for a new PCX and other bits and pieces. Although it is unbraked and only 750 Kg I have fitted a cheap motor mover - works wonders getting the trailer up 12 inches on short ramps from where we store it to the drive. Also works as a brake to stop it moving if we have to leave it on a slope!
  7. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

A concern I would have is that a trailer that is suitable for a Smart (780kg) may "bounce" on uneven roads when laden with a 260kg or so bike.

Others will have more experience than I and may be able to comment.

Steve
  8. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Have looked at these online and for a change they are only about 30 miles from me. Concerned about the size and storage/moving when on a site though.

Steve
  9. talaris

talaris Funster

Think the size at 12ft is ok and quite light without the bike. Guess it is a case of unloading and then moving.
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster

I drag my 1200GS or one of the Blackbirds all over Europe on a RoRo trailer.
    Light, and no need for a big ramp as the whole trailer drops to the floor with a simple action..

http://www.roromotorcycletrailers.co.uk/
  11. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Saw these, ruled them out because it looks as though it would be expensive (if possibe at all) to adapt it for my two front wheels.

Steve
  12. Jaws

Jaws Funster

It is a one man band and he is a lovely chap... Def worth a fone call to speak to him :thumb:
  13. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Will do. Thanks
  14. talaris

talaris Funster

Looked at roro but the need the versatility of the bigger trailer. Want to put a box on it for storage etc.
    Good idea though and looks well made
  15. Arthur01

Arthur01 Funster

The ramp is the width of the trailer & there are 2 steadies you drop which stop the trailer tipping as you begin to assend the ramp.

It is housed in the Wiltshire area if you were near or wanted to look.

We were considering the Rocket but decided on the LT cos it had less chrome & more tupperware around it. The thought being that it would be easier to keep the machine clean.

Regards

Arthur
  16. Peter Coleman

Peter Coleman Funster

Armitage Trailers of Yorkshire (www.armitagetrailers.com) specialize in motorcycle trailers for all sizes of bikes. They also make special to orders for a nominal extra fee. They also do braked and unbraked single or twin wheel. Most importantly they have a filled in non slip floor and a full width ramp enabling you to ride your motorcycle on. They also have a front wheel locking mechanism for an extra few quid. I hope this is of some use to you

Regards

Pete
  17. Tude

Tude Funster

Trailer

Hi
    I have the trailer your looking for in mint condition .im new on here so don't know how to pm you can send you pics if you like

Mike
  18. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Just click on the username of the person you want to send a message to, then `Send private Message`.

Which trailer do you have?

Steve
  19. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Are any of the accessories shown on the RoRo site a necessity?

Steve
  20. hdvrod

hdvrod Funster