MoT passed with advisories on front discs. (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
That's that for another year. Quick look on GSF parts with 60% discount, discs, pads and flexi hoses and a pair of windscreen wipers all came to less than £100 VAT inc. All will be fitted next warm day in April!. I reckon 3 months standing has left the discs a little rusty, probably worn off driving home but replacements cheap enough and I thought why not. Now to spend time organising the Wood Side Field Rally 15th 19th July - see you there.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I take any advisory in the brakes, suspension or steering as critical and get them done at the next opportunity.
I do like the advisory system (y)
I do. All the advisory’s every time. The Moho now had a few all small stuff but been on for a few years thats before we bought it.
we knew what was due when we got it and just added to the list of stuff to do. Near on done now and a mass of other works.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I do. All the advisory’s every time. The Moho now had a few all small stuff but been on for a few years thats before we bought it.
we knew what was due when we got it and just added to the list of stuff to do.
I usually do all of them on mine as well. But this van has a very small oil leak and has had it for years. The expense far outweighs the half litre of oil it loses a year.

When I do the gearbox, I will get the clutch and the oil leak sorted out at the same time.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I usually do all of them on mine as well. But this van has a very small oil leak and has had it for years. The expense far outweighs the half litre of oil it loses a year.

When I do the gearbox, I will get the clutch and the oil leak sorted out at the same time.
Obvious oil leaks are now an MOT failure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clivefog
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Wipers although passed MoT were a bit smeary on the way to the test in the heavy rain, new ones now fitted how easy where they! I agree any brake, steering, suspension or tyre problems will get done before we next use it on the road.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Obvious oil leaks are now an MOT failure.
Not sure the term obvious is used. Excessive is the term on the advisory. This was from my MOT 2 weeks ago and has been repeated since the 2018 test.

Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

I suspect that if it leaves any marks on the ground when parked it would be classed as excessive and a failure.

My oil leak is a very, very small leak kind of like a fine mist coming from what I think is a pipe from the turbo inter cooler although I may be wrong on this. It is very, very minor and isn't affecting the operation of the van.

Less than half a litre of oil per year.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wipers although passed MoT were a bit smeary on the way to the test in the heavy rain, new ones now fitted how easy where they! I agree any brake, steering, suspension or tyre problems will get done before we next use it on the road.
I replace mine regular as clockwork just before every other MOT. Just a routine I got into.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well that was interesting. Last year my van failed on the horn. Paid to get it replaced.
I can't recall the last time I used the horn... Anyway van passed it's MOT this year.
2 weeks later I tried to use my horn for the 1st time and it didn't work. So not only was I not able to warn the idiot that they were about to hit me, I have another repair.

I decided to buy the Haines manual for my van as I have some electrical work to do on it shortly and it would come in handy.
It arrived yesterday.

After this talk of oil leaks. I decided to look to see what was involved in taking the turbo intercooler pipe off to inspect it for damage.
2 garages have looked at this and not been able to correct it.

Found the pipe easily enough, didn't have the OEM clip on it just a jubilee clip. Went to loosen it and it came off very easily.
Appears as though it had been tightened up enough to prevent it blowing off but not enough to seal it perhaps???

Anyway took it completely off and there was no damage to the mounting point, the lip wasn't dinged up or anything. The pipe doesn't appear to have a split in it.
So I refitted it and gave it a good tweak to tighten it so it felt solid.

I have zip tied a white bit of plastic below the pipe/fitting and will see if this gets oily over the next week or two.

Fingers crossed this may solve it. I really hope so, be nice to get that off the advisory :)

I doubt I will be that lucky, and my that is about the limit of my mechanical skills on the engine side. We shall see...

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I change the wipers before the mot mainly because I can buy them much cheaper than they charge for them

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure the term obvious is used. Excessive is the term on the advisory. This was from my MOT 2 weeks ago and has been repeated since the 2018 test.

I suspect that if it leaves any marks on the ground when parked it would be classed as excessive and a failure.

My oil leak is a very, very small leak kind of like a fine mist coming from what I think is a pipe from the turbo inter cooler although I may be wrong on this. It is very, very minor and isn't affecting the operation of the van.

I used the term obvious to indicate a current oil leak rather than one which was fixed but not cleaned up

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used the term obvious to indicate a current oil leak rather than one which was fixed but not cleaned up
My leak was obvious, and ongoing for years. And still passed.
Obvious but not excessive.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mine passed last week no advisories , I had fitted new wiper blades before to avoid a problem as these can deteriorate frequently.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I replace mine regular as clockwork just before every other MOT. Just a routine I got into.

Not like some people, who would fit new wiper blades for the MOT, then after that take them off and put the old ones back?

Or even borrow ones from a mate, just for the MOT?

[No more 'MOT' for me while on Polish 'Vintage' plates - but I shall ensure my garage keeps it up to scratch]

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Before we bought the Rapido I checked the Mot history.
It failed its first Mot because there was no water in the washer bottle.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Before we bought the Rapido I checked the Mot history.
It failed its first Mot because there was no water in the washer bottle.

Mine failed for that once, although I had topped it up to overflowing.

Reason was there is a filter in the neck and if one pours too fast the holes will not accept the flow, so appears full.

I take out the filter now.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

On the Coaches it was a failure IF the leak dirtied or dropped on the examiners white overalls, but IF it didn't drop more than one drop on the floor, it was an advisory!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back