MOT advisory - Inner CV boot and Steering Rack boot damp (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
1714473895170.png

I had these two advisories on my MOT the other week. I didn't discuss it with the tester at the time as there was some 'faff' over a failure due to a damaged tyre (I persuaded them to change to the spare and re-test, as I already had a set of 4x wheels & tyres on order!) so we never got around to discussing the advisories.

I took a very quick look myself on Sunday afternoon, not easy to examine see the inner CV boot without dropping the undertray which I didn't have time to do - but from a quick look I couldn't see that either of the boots had perished or split - though clearly both were oily and had been for some time. No sign of any fluid/oil leak from above etc.

I've had similar warnings on some cars in the past, but when I've looked at them they have clearly looked or felt perished, or I was able to easily feel a split.

I probably will drop the tray and take a closer look, and I will give the garage a call this week, but is there anything common which would cause fluid on the outside of the CV and steering rack boots, other than the boots themselves being perished? Could this indicate that the steering rack or a driveshaft seal is actually leaking, and fluid getting outside the boot?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It could , get a tin of brakeclean spray and clean them off , then keep an eye on them to see what rate they get oily again , and start point .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it is coming from inside the rack boot it's a given that the seals are leaking.
Would expect drive shaft to have grease inside the boot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back