LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I notice that the Tech Spec says that the slide out is only available in conjunction with Hydraulic legs so does this mean that it uses the same pump?

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I believe so Jon, how many have there been?

I've found 3 so far Michael. I think this one covers the period you were talking to them.

To be clear I'm not making any comment on the quality of them.

1588576181515.png

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I notice that the Tech Spec says that the slide out is only available in conjunction with Hydraulic legs so does this mean that it uses the same pump?

Martin
I doubt it Martin, I suspect the requirement is that the van MUST be level to deploy the slide. There is of course the twisting moment plus the slide whizzing out or climbing a hill back in!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Main point for me is the initial build quality between RS and M, how the roof, sidewalls, floor, rear is built and attached. Also the insulation type, what do they use and how is it put in?, screws?, Cold bridges? etc etc.

When i looked at RS years ago albeit, i couldn't find much out about how it was constructed and put together because there wasnt harly anything about the above points on their website at the time.

Thats why it would be German for me.
I would have little doubt that the build quality was there as they have been doing big race trucks for long enough, you are right that they don't give much away on their web site but a visit to the factory would be interesting and I would say essential for anybody even slightly interested in ordering one.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've found 3 so far Michael. I think this one covers the period you were talking to them.

View attachment 384771
I wasn't going to mention that Jon but even if I had liked the van that might have worried me.

I doubt it Martin, I suspect the requirement is that the van MUST be level to deploy the slide. There is of course the twisting moment plus the slide whizzing out or climbing a hill back in!
I did wonder and of course it makes sense, I thought about the twist but not the dragging it back uphill.

M

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

View attachment 384771
3 times!! Wow, forget losing a deposit, but waiting 6-9 months for a van to find you ain't got one, makes Martins situation look bliss!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would have little doubt that the build quality was there as they have been doing big race trucks for long enough, you are right that they don't give much away on their web site but a visit to the factory would be interesting and I would say essential for anybody even slightly interested in ordering one.

Martin

But why not sing their own praises Martin if the construction is good, it doesnt make sense to me, youre right though, a factory visit would be enlightening.
Maybe its me, but i useful to think why would i buy one when i cant see how its made and what of.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
But why not sing their own praises Martin if the construction is good, it doesnt make sense to me, youre right though, a factory visit would be enlightening.
Maybe its me, but i useful to think why would i buy one when i cant see how its made and what of.
Paul, when you compare the web site to other serious players, both UK and especially German, it is indeed very weak on detail which together with Jon's revelation does add up to some big question marks.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Stay tuned - got stuff to do this morning - will put something up today that might help - one or two of the comments above are incorrect as to spec - interesting to see.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Martin
They use HPC Hydraulics - panel with bluetooth for the phone f you want to stand outside, The hydraulics drop the legs and then the slide out (if you want it extended) from the same system. Also Tank setting to tilt for tank emptying although never needed that.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
They use HPC Hydraulics - panel with bluetooth for the phone f you want to stand outside, The hydraulics drop the legs and then the slide out (if you want it extended) from the same system. Also Tank setting to tilt for tank emptying although never needed that.
Well that answers 2 questions, hydraulic slide out and interconnected so that's why the legs are compulsory with the slide. Even more of a Bargain if you get legs and a slide for £15k!

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So, here goes and ready to be shot down in flames - attaching a document which tries to match spec for spec my Elysian with Morelo based on 2019 pricing.

The headline numbers are RS £279k and Morelo €340,940 at todays rate roughly £299,700. Take off the slide out on each one and you get RS £269k and Morelo €310,940 roughly £273k so very comparable on price. Someone might like to check my workings against the 2020 price list?

Caveats:
  1. I know the Elysian and price list well - I may have made mistakes on the Morelo pricing
  2. Based on 2019 Morelo list - may have changed - doubt it will have gone down
  3. There are options you can get for the Morelo that are not options on the Elysian e.g. coach style mirrors
In general, Morelo is probably considered a superior and highly recognisable quality marque - I don't meet many people who know about RS but that doesn't matter to me. I do like the slide out option and have had one on all three Elysians we have owned and would not be without it.

Hope that helps

Attachments

• RS and Morelo price match.docx
    17.2 KB · Views: 28

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
So, here goes and ready to be shot down in flames - attaching a document which tries to match spec for spec my Elysian with Morelo based on 2019 pricing.

The headline numbers are RS £279k and Morelo €340,940 at todays rate roughly £299,700. Take off the slide out on each one and you get RS £269k and Morelo €310,940 roughly £273k so very comparable on price. Someone might like to check my workings against the 2020 price list?

Caveats:
  1. I know the Elysian and price list well - I may have made mistakes on the Morelo pricing
  3. There are options you can get for the Morelo that are not options on the Elysian e.g. coach style mirrors
In general, Morelo is probably considered a superior and highly recognisable quality marque - I don't meet many people who know about RS but that doesn't matter to me. I do like the slide out option and have had one on all three Elysians we have owned and would not be without it.

Hope that helps
Interesting comparisons, as you say difficult to compare exactly although you probably should have selected the 88LB from 2019, which with the slide out becomes 9.19m long and unimaginatively named the 88LB SLO, so comparable to the Elysian, but to be fair only drops the price by €2000. This was the 90LO in 2018. NOW importantly the slide option is no longer available on the Daily chassis due to weight issues.
That said you have a number of incorrect pricing/extras. I cannot compare the RS because of the lightweight info on their web site, perhaps you can post the 2019 price list if you have it.
The ZF Auto box was only €4990, (Hi Matic on the RS Daily in 2019???) the extra width to 2.5 metres at €5000 cannot be the spec of the RS indeed it is only 2.4 metres, the same with the front axle widening at €7290. The 3 way fridge is standard not extra €1990, the Macerator toilet is standard not extra €2990. So you have added at least €24k to the Morelo. If you consider the rate of 1.20 you are down to £266k. You got a load of freebies in your price of £279k was that the gross price or net after freebies and discount?
I have attached the 2019 price list for guidance on those interested in comparing like for like on other vans.

Attachments

• preisliste_2019-2_palace_empire_morelo_190110_1430_a4_4c_EN.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 11

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Caveats:

Hope that helps
Interesting comparison but not sure why you have added the extra width to the Palace spec as the RS doesn't have it, the macerator toilet and tank are standard on the Palace range likewise underfloor heating, does the RS have the wide front axle as standard? other details as well but it basically says that it all comes down to the exchange rate with MORELO whereas with RS you know where you are, if you use 1.20 to the £ and the Palace at a more realistic 330k Palace would be £275k.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting comparisons, as you say difficult to compare exactly although you probably should have selected the 88LB from 2019, which with the slide out becomes 9.19m long and unimaginatively named the 88LB SLO, so comparable to the Elysian, but to be fair only drops the price by €2000. This was the 90LO in 2018. NOW importantly the slide option is no longer available on the Daily chassis due to weight issues.
That said you have a number of incorrect pricing/extras. I cannot compare the RS because of the lightweight info on their web site, perhaps you can post the 2019 price list if you have it.
The ZF Auto box was only €4990, (Hi Matic on the RS Daily in 2019???) the extra width to 2.5 metres at €5000 cannot be the spec of the RS indeed it is only 2.4 metres, the same with the front axle widening at €7290. The 3 way fridge is standard not extra €1990, the Macerator toilet is standard not extra €2990. So you have added at least €24k to the Morelo. If you consider the rate of 1.20 you are down to £266k. You got a load of freebies in your price of £279k was that the gross price or net after freebies and discount?
I have attached the 2019 price list for guidance on those interested in comparing like for like on other vans.
I think I have been a bit slow here Michael but yes, not sure what the question is though ;) Hi-Matic and the ZF are the same thing I think?

I did a spec comparison on our van against a RS and get ours at £10k less than RS at 1.18 or basically the same at todays rate but saying that there are still things that we have included that are not available to spec on the RS, for example active air, 200l fuel tank, grey water pump, upgraded stereo/sat nav, heated windscreen and not to mention the solid surface work tops and extra for bar version plus no doubt a few others.

Martin

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Interesting- as you say, hard to compare The gear box on mine is the ZF - ie the same one as they put in theRange Rover I think. Anyway, it is a great piece of kit, never feel the gear change, do find it a bit keen on the downhill run to drop a gear.

Wonder why they dropped the slide out - perhaps their overall weight is more - my vehicle weight empty is around 5.5t so big payload.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Interesting comparison but not sure why you have added the extra width to the Palace spec as the RS doesn't have it, the macerator toilet and tank are standard on the Palace range likewise underfloor heating, does the RS have the wide front axle as standard? other details as well but it basically says that it all comes down to the exchange rate with MORELO whereas with RS you know where you are, if you use 1.20 to the £ and the Palace at a more realistic 330k Palace would be £275k.

Martin
They changed the chassis considerably on the new `Elysian - in fact it was changing as I got mine hence the full air. The chassis was lengthened and raised - this allows the driver and passenger seats to be on lots and swivels whereas on the old one they just swivelled - not to everyones taste.

Also the underfloor heating was a new standard addition along with the raised floor and means you get a ton of locker space - mostly winterised (the ones in the double floor) but some lower ones not winterised

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think I have been a bit slow here Michael but yes, not sure what the question is though ;) Hi-Matic and the ZF are the same thing I think?

I did a spec comparison on our van against a RS and get ours at £10k less than RS at 1.18 or basically the same at todays rate but saying that there are still things that we have included that are not available to spec on the RS, for example active air, 200l fuel tank, grey water pump, upgraded stereo/sat nav, heated windscreen and not to mention the solid surface work tops and extra for bar version plus no doubt a few others.

Martin
Not quite correct - you could get a 200l tank but it would be a special chassis order I guess at extra cost, grey water pump, I had one fitted on my last Elysian - it just isn't on the price list, Windscreen and mirrors are heated. Not sure what you mean by solid surface worktops - ours are certainly solid and weighty items.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting- as you say, hard to compare The gear box on mine is the ZF - ie the same one as they put in theRange Rover I think. Anyway, it is a great piece of kit, never feel the gear change, do find it a bit keen on the downhill run to drop a gear.

Wonder why they dropped the slide out - perhaps their overall weight is more - my vehicle weight empty is around 5.5t so big payload.
Same box as MORELO then, we are having a Telma retarder to take away the tendency to drop gears and rev its nuts off, so along with that and big gas tank and big fuel tank and all the other spec like jacks and full air we are 6.3t that is according to the spreadsheet calculation that runs alongside the pricing, the Palace is plated at 7.49t as standard, our 85L would be 5.35t MIRO but before any extras.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not quite correct - you could get a 200l tank but it would be a special chassis order I guess at extra cost, grey water pump, I had one fitted on my last Elysian - it just isn't on the price list, Windscreen and mirrors are heated. Not sure what you mean by solid surface worktops - ours are certainly solid and weighty items.

Basically Corian type stuff, that adds €1490 if you don't have that I think you get a cast surface which looks a bit well lets just say "not to our taste", I believe that Meier do the chassis prep for RS so the 200l tank would be the same as ours, they developed it with a cut out to allow Telma fitting as the standard fuel tank drops to 70l with the Telma.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

I am not sure, however my Liner on the Merc chassis (1230 at 11.99t) at the 9.19 length but with the 2.5 width, full water (450l) and fuel ready to rock, food clothes Mrs etc weights 10.8t. Now added some other stuff so likely 11t now. Essentially the same as the Palace layout wise but even allowing for say a 1ton extra for the chassis build etc it is easy to see how the Daily chassis may struggle. I know of a German (Camille FYI, Martin funflair ) who has just traded his Palace 90LO for a Palace Liner 90LO on the 1230 so exactly as mine for the weight reason.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think we have enough weight on ours especially the front axle so no I wouldn't want to add a slide as well although not sure what it weighs.

I just want to get it and put it on the scales now ;)

M
I wanted to do what the US RVers recommend, weight each corner, then you use the highest weight side on each axle to determine the tyre pressure from the tyre manufacturers chart. However my nearest weighbridge is in a quarry, shit hole does not begin to describe it, so manoeuvring is kept to a minimum all that crap splashing up the sides, or in the dry season a pure dust storm. AND they make you wear a hard hat and hi viz jacket and you don't even get out of the van!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wanted to do what the US RVers recommend, weight each corner, then you use the highest weight side on each axle to determine the tyre pressure from the tyre manufacturers chart. However my nearest weighbridge is in a quarry, shit hole does not begin to describe it, so manoeuvring is kept to a minimum all that crap splashing up the sides, or in the dry season a pure dust storm. AND they make you wear a hard hat and hi viz jacket and you don't even get out of the van!
My Mate has corner scales for his race car, don't know what they go up to though as I wouldn't want to squish them.

M

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Basically Corian type stuff, that adds €1490 if you don't have that I think you get a cast surface which looks a bit well lets just say "not to our taste", I believe that Meier do the chassis prep for RS so the 200l tank would be the same as ours, they developed it with a cut out to allow Telma fitting as the standard fuel tank drops to 70l with the Telma.

Martin
Yes, we have Corian worktops in ours - I have to say that the kitchen, bathroom and shower fittings are very high standard. We have a table that collapses and slides away into a cupboard in the kitchen. They decided to use the same worktop material for the table top - it weighs a ton! :LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, we have Corian worktops in ours - I have to say that the kitchen, bathroom and shower fittings are very high standard. We have a table that collapses and slides away into a cupboard in the kitchen. They decided to use the same worktop material for the table top - it weighs a ton! :LOL:
So that suggests that there are a lot of options that are not on the web site ;)

Martin

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So that suggests that there are a lot of options that are not on the web site ;)

Martin
I know they are trying to build as standard as possible because it saves money but you can have pretty much anything you want. Time before last I changed lots of stuff but this time picked from the list and let them keep the layout the same but did choose what garage height I wanted so that bikes would fit.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If you can get a liner home ( How I wish I could) there are some secondhand bargains to be had atm, 2x 890L's on there both with the MAN 240hp 6 Cylinder mated to the 12 speed. I drove a Charisma last year with that driveline and loved it, looking back should have bought it - heyho.

Broken Link Removed

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How about a PhoeniX Jon? touch shorter and narrower than the C liner, Nice Charisma 890 on MAN 4 cyl at Reimers here

Broken Link Removed

Martin

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
How about a PhoeniX Jon? touch shorter and narrower than the C liner, Nice Charisma 890 on MAN 4 cyl at Reimers here

']PhoeniX[/URL]

Martin
I like the "rush" leather, a yankee descriptor, in the Charisma, however the Phoenix link is error 404?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back