Mobility Scooter Question (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I seem to recall that there are some members with experience of mobility scooters. I have an old Shoprider used intermittently, and I think I've ruined the batteries through through leaving it on charge for long periods. Is there a charger with automatic cut off when fully charged?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Generally, yes. Any modern smart charger (such as the CTEK XS range) will look after the battery on a long term charge.

HOWEVER, many scooters use a pair of 12V batteries in a series configuration to creat a 24V system. If your is such then you may need to purchase a 24V charger OR connect a 12V charger to each battery separately, changing it over periodically.

Ian

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
my Pride Apex Lite Portable Mobility Scooter came with a charger which cuts of off when the battery is charged.

The removable AGM batttery is heavy, but there are compatible lithium batteries available. :giggle: I will need a new charger.:(

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If it's a dedicated Shoprider charger, it should switch off automatically when the batteries are full.
When you said your scooter is "old" have you ever replaced the batteries in it ? We rarely got more than two years out of a pair of sla in the wife's old scooter (Roadpro, but possibly a Shoprider clone ?) that was used daily.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back