MiFi or an old phone? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
Whats the advantage of buying a MiFi box as opposed to using an old phone? Ive got an old iPhone from 2013 that wont run the current iOS so I replaced it, but it works fine as a hotspot provider. I read somewhere that the presence of an external antenna didnt give any benefits when tested back-to-back without one. I suspect MiFi boxes are harder to set up (a phone has a great interface). Anyone tried both together and compared? (I can see you dont want to use your normal phone as a hotspot, as you have to use a local SIM card, and so miss any calls to your normal UK number).

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I never found any difference between a phone and a mifi.
But, I've never had any bother setting up a mifi either!
Then a bought a proper 5g/4g enabled router, the Huawei B535, and it doubled the speed compared to the phone/mifi unit

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Your old phone will work ok, I often found the mifi got a signal where my phone couldn't, but they were on different networks so that could explain it.
The external antenna do definately make an big improvement to signal strength and download speed.
It probably comes down to where you mostly go, if you like remote places a decent mifi or router and antenna will pay dividends.
I use a Netgear Nighthawk M1 and find it excellent

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
In February, I bought a smartphone and coupled it to a Tesco, 'SIM only' 60gb deal for £13 a month.
Before, I was paying Plusnet £23 a month for my landline and a very poor internet service.

Because, at their last contract renewal, they had not furnished me with the T & C's, they offered to let me cancel, at no cost to myself.
I immediately took up this offer (much to their disgust) but after a bit of haggling and threats from me about legal action, they cancelled.

I now only have one payment of £13 per month and one smartphone (no landline ) that I use as a WiFi hotspot for my tablet & laptop and phone, of course.

For me, it's working at home and away.

If I can make it work, anyone can! 😄

PS. I very rarely do any streaming or this other technical stuff, so that might make a difference?

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlanandMayya
Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
So, do all SIM cards work in all devices? Would a data-only SIM work in my phone (for data only)? And are there any restrictions buying a SIM deal in EU as a Brit?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I am out of contract with my Tesco sim but still pay £8.50 monthly for unlimited calls but only 2gb of data but I can get unlimited data for £22 on a month by month basis. Last year it worked in Spain and was not restricted so I am hoping for the same when we are there in January for 3 months. I have a HUAWEI 5577 but the phone works just as well.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
So, do all SIM cards work in all devices? Would a data-only SIM work in my phone (for data only)? And are there any restrictions buying a SIM deal in EU as a Brit?
Phone / SMS / Data sims will work in a mifi, not certain if a data only sim works in a phone, never tried it.
You can buy a local sim in the EU, they ask to see your passport but otherwise no problems.
Just remember you can't stream UK tv with a EU sim unless you use a VPN

OP
OP
AlanandMayya
Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
Yes our situation is a bit non-standard : we don't need UK streaming, nor any TV channels from anywhere. Mayya's English isn't very good, so all the films we watch are dubbed into Russian. You can watch anything you like, for free, on the Internet if you want it dubbed into Russian. But we're not interested in Russian TV; not to our taste. So, we just need good Internet access. Does anyone know roughly how many Gb it takes to watch the average film? Just trying to estimate how many Gb / month we will need.

OP
OP
AlanandMayya
Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
Anyone on this forum know how the international telecoms business works (I dont)? I just feel it needs shaking up. Like banking has been. In my youth, banks didn't open on Saturdays; I remember well-padded senior Banking figures gravely explaining on the telly that it was just technically impossible and would not happen. I remember transfers taking days on end. Cheques getting lost in the post, or sent back because the sender had spelled "Januery" wrong. Exchanging Sterling for Dutch Florins cost you 6% and took days. And look at us now! I just sense the telecoms business is still in that era when it comes to data roaming. Isn't anyone about to disrupt it? (Actually, I say all that, but the Bad Old Days are alive and well at the Bureaux de Change at airports).

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
We used an old Samsung phone fitted with a Popit sim card (£18 per month) as a mobile hot spot and toured France, Spain and Portugal and never had an issue.
Although we only use mobile phones, tablets and lap tops - no TV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My main phone is all I normally have for connecting my laptop to the internet, no problem at all and done it for years. My phone is dual sim so I have my main phone number on a PAYG RWG sim and my back-up number on a Vodafone contract sim which is the one I use for most stuff.

As I've had a Three phone sim for a week or so in addition to my other sims I needed something to put it in so I've been using an old OneTouch Y800 MIFI for it with no problem other than every time I had to get a code to log-in to my Three account I needed to use my laptop to go to the MIFI interface to retrieve the text with the code in, just a nuisance but not needed very often.

As you've got the phone already just try it and see how you get on and to find a sim only contract or PAYG sim have a look at Hotukdeals which has loads of info on what sim deals there are at present: https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/sim-only

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back