cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Have a look on Amazon
search ‘Garrett’
had one for a few years now , the problem is no so much the detector but the permission to detect
we tended to do beaches with the kids

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Just sold my Deus2 had a CTX3030 as well but work and caravan comes first.

Detecting has a big following and it’s big business these days, loads of organisations digs about.

Do I miss it, no I like my arse to be warm lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The Garret Ace range are popular starter machines, I have not used one, but have a Garret pinpointer and it's a decent bit of kit.
My old Minelab Quattro was an upgrade from my Viking detector, but technology has moved on quite a bit since then but I had a limited budget !
Decide where you want to detect and what for (beaches/underwater or farmland for example) and that will help narrow down your choices, but a second hand Garret Ace would be a good starting point and you could easily sell it on if it doesn't suit ?
Jaws might have some ideas ?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have this one, a half decent spec without going paying out to much.

Chap I know has 500 acres on the outskirts of Chichester, he has said I can go there as nobody else has been on it.
The edge of one field is less than a mile from the largest intact Roman Villa in the UK.

Not been yet as have had other things on but will get around to it.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Don’t be like the Irish metal detectorist, dug down 6 feet before he realised he had metal toe caps on his boots. 😂
I picked up a feint signal in the field behind my house (site of a Roman marching camp) and proceeded to dig. The hole was getting bigger and deeper, but the signal was still there, I would normally have given up on such an "iffy" signal, but for the fact of the camp's existence and I reckoned it must be "something big" so kept digging. I ended up with a hole about 3 feet in diameter and getting on for four foot deep when I struck something metallic. I scraped away the soil and exposed the top of a steel curved object, (first thought was a UXB from it's shape !), as I paused for breath, standing in the hole, I looked directly across the field in front of me and noticed a small gap in the distant hedge, with a white pole with an orange marker on it's top, and I realised I'd dug down to the main gas supply pipe for this area ! 🤦‍♂️
Someone told me that they send a small electric current down these pipes either to help with monitoring their condition or to prevent corrosion and it must have been this that was giving me the weak signal ?
Some Italian students came over one year and carried out an archaeological dig on the site, but only found a few bits of broken pottery. Others have detected the field, but as far as I know, I'm the only one to have found a coin there, a rather poorly looking bronze.
There are a lot of Roman sites around here (I'm within 2 miles of Hadrian's Wall, but nearly all the sites are "scheduled" which means they're out of bounds to detect and in the Middle Ages, this area was covered by the vast Inglewood Forest, which didn't have many inhabitants or settlements, so decent finds are few and far between, but we do have some Viking derived villages that would be worth investigating ?
20230512_083315.jpg

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I tried it during Covid, had a Minelab 800 and all I ever found were bits of Sunderlands and possibly Catalinas, the odd cap badge (RAF) bullets of all sizes live and otherwise, old pennies and crap.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Don’t be like the Irish metal detectorist, dug down 6 feet before he realised he had metal toe caps on his boots. 😂
PaulyP Few years ago I’d visited one of our converting Mills in Germany over some quality issues, returning to Frankfurt airport I got stuck in traffic jams, by the time I got into the airport it was touch and go if I’d catch my flight, I legged it and jumped to the front of the queue for the metal detector, went through and failed, panicking turned out hand luggage, belt off, emptied pockets etc, still failed.
Steel toecap safety shoes on for walking around the Mill. Flight was delayed thankfully.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
What other kit is recommended for this hobby apart from the machine itself?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back