Locks Done (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Imala 620
Exp
Decided a little security was needed, so today I completed the job. Deadlocks on both front doors, lock for Habitation door and some window locking devices. Feeling a little happier for both leaving the van parked
secure1.jpg
secure2.jpg
secure3.jpg
secure4.jpg
secure5.jpg
secure6.jpg
and when sleeping.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Decided a little security was needed, so today I completed the job. Deadlocks on both front doors, lock for Habitation door and some window locking devices. Feeling a little happier for both leaving the van parked View attachment 742372View attachment 742373View attachment 742374View attachment 742375View attachment 742376View attachment 742377and when sleeping.
Really good job from the photos. All we need to see now is the step by step guide to fitting them !

I do like tha fact that you can see the deadlocks from outside to hopefully deter any chancers and I can understand why you've tried to make them blend in, shame you can't make them ultra visible without spoiling the look? I wonder if a little flashing neon might work?

That being said if course, what you've done is brilliant, when can we all being our motorhomes over to you?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Make sure you inform your insurance company, counter intuitively they can load a premium when some locks are fitted due to the additional damage caused when forcing the door, especially the caravan door.

Makes sense as without the additional lock, the plastic lock gives way, little or no damage, but with the additional lock when force is used the one piece aluminium side has to be replaced, potentially costing thousands, which would be a shock if the insurance company said no.

Hence its best to advise them

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Very neat job - well doneā€¦ā€¦butā€¦ā€¦when you leave the MoHo parked to go off for the day, the lock on the habitation door when closed says ā€œWe are not in the van!ā€ You might consider fitting a deadlock inside, then when leaving lock the inside one, exit by a cab door and deadlock it, leaving the external door lock on the Habitation Door unsecured to give the impression of occupancy. I have heard that some people do this and leave a dog bowl with water in it just outside the Habitation Door, together with an old pair of Crocs. :unsure: Of course, you can never be completely secure. At best you can deter and hope the would be thief sees a MoHo nearby that looks to be an easier target.šŸ¤ž

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Very neat job - well doneā€¦ā€¦butā€¦ā€¦when you leave the MoHo parked to go off for the day, the lock on the habitation door when closed says ā€œWe are not in the van!ā€ You might consider fitting a deadlock inside, then when leaving lock the inside one, exit by a cab door and deadlock it, leaving the external door lock on the Habitation Door unsecured to give the impression of occupancy. I have heard that some people do this and leave a dog bowl with water in it just outside the Habitation Door, together with an old pair of Crocs. :unsure: Of course, you can never be completely secure. At best you can deter and hope the would be thief sees a MoHo nearby that looks to be an easier target.šŸ¤ž
When you leave the motorhome parked up with the alarm on the LEDs flash! Does that not indicate the same ā€œ we are not inā€!
I would not consider leaving the alarm off!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
When you leave the motorhome parked up with the alarm on the LEDs flash! Does that not indicate the same ā€œ we are not inā€!
I would not consider leaving the alarm off!
Of course notā€¦.. we always set the alarm (which gives us an alert to our mobile phone, as well as the Tracking Company), but decided not to have a flashing LED visible from outside. I am sure not everyone will agree with this strategy. :unsure:

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hope so, I'm thinking of dropping my Moho round ...

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
Iā€™m newbie
I see what you mean, but you can be inside with alarm on and flashing but sensors off , which I learnt that this week from this forum
someone kindly taught me and I have tried it out šŸ‘

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
I see what you mean, but you can be inside with alarm on and flashing but sensors off , which I learnt that this week from this forum
someone kindly taught me and I have tried it out šŸ‘
I didnā€™t know you could do that, can you share please?

Laughing Gravy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
Decided a little security was needed, so today I completed the job. Deadlocks on both front doors, lock for Habitation door and some window locking devices. Feeling a little happier for both leaving the van parked View attachment 742372View attachment 742373View attachment 742374View attachment 742375View attachment 742376View attachment 742377and when sleeping.
Similar thoughts from me

Thatcham Cat Alarm factory fitted
Window alarms from Tiiwee
Outside Dead locks from Ed-Lock x 3
Pro plates x 1 (driver) from Ed-Lock
Inside rear door bolt from Womo
Inside 3 x door chains from Womo
Reolink CCTV

Paranoid ? Nah. Just more relaxed

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
We have the same lock and they can be set to deadlock when inside the van as well, šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø .
Mike.

Laughing Gravy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
I think you simply set the alarm as usual using the control and then press the set alarm again within a couple of seconds for another beep which disarms the internal sensors.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ours has that setting too. But it goes off if you open a door without turning it off first. We have proved that.

It peeps after the second time you press it so you know itā€™s on. Useful if you leave van with dog in too.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Great job and very neat too. Have you thought of offering your skills out and advertising? šŸ¤£
Iā€™ve read the comments about the Hab door lock being down and everyone knowing youā€™re owt.
We lock this when we go to bed. The lock is down and we are inside the Motorhome.
As itā€™s lockable from inside and out, we sometimes forget that itā€™s down.

We would never leave the van without putting this lock on.
Whoever advises this just to trick a thief will not be the one explaining to the police for your insurance report that you fitted a lock but didnā€™t use it as you wanted to trick the person who broke in?

A thief will know if youā€™re in or not as normally they make a noise or knock on the door asking for something and then come back later if they suspect someoneā€™s out.

Plus, if they are going to get in, they will get in.
Thereā€™s plenty of ways to get in but they want the quickest and easiest and quietest.
Unless youā€™re van is in storage and then it will just get smashed as thereā€™s nobody else about and theyā€™ve more time.

Itā€™s about making it difficult for them or them looking at a line of Motorhomes and thinking theyā€™ve got extra locks or an alarm LED flashing, so I wonā€™t risk it and will move onto the next one.

I have extra locks and Iā€™ve got a Vanbitz Growler alarm and use a crook lock.
All of this is pretty pointless if you then go out and leave the roof vent open, which Iā€™ve seen many times on Aires and in car parks when itā€™s been hot weather.

If you havenā€™t got an alarm, I would recommend a vanbitz alarm and Eddie may even sort a discount for you being a Funster.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi folks
What a great thing to see - someone else who lines up the slots in screws. I also do the same with the crosses - even if I then cover them with the pretend wood stickers. Nobody knows it has been done.....but me.
I was told a very long time ago it was so the water could run out of the screw head so reducing rusting but for me its about how it looks. I notice when other do it too - including the stalls in John Lewis gents - I guess you get a better class of chippy in there!

Great job on the locks - it has got me thinking. The debate is always - make is hard to get into and they will stay away, or they will just damage more to get in.
I knew an old lady who bought silver cups from jumble sales. She always had one with a few quid in it on the mantle piece in he front room. Her house was broken into a couple of times but only the junk cup and the small amount of money were taken, leaving the good stuff untouched. Perhaps we might think about the same sort of thing for our Motorhomes.
D

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What do people leave in their vans that is so expensive to warrant all the time and money fitting all this extra security?
I only hear of a couple of incidents of break in of vans each year - from the entire membership of the forum.
There seems to be very few break-in at all - ever.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
What do people leave in their vans that is so expensive to warrant all the time and money fitting all this extra security?
I only hear of a couple of incidents of break in of vans each year - from the entire membership of the forum.

Possibly not a lot.

My real concern is the chaos of dealing with damage and the risk of ruining a holiday, especially when abroad and many ā€˜000s miles from home. I also a have friend whose MoHo was broken into, with considerable forced-entry damage and stolen. His wife was so distressed by the experience that she never felt it was theirs again. After repair, he had to sell it and buy a new MoHo before she would travel again.

Laughing Gravy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
Maybe there are few break-ins because most people these days take security measures, as above

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It seems many have a lot of stuff worth nicking.
I don't carry anything of value in the m/h or on my person; no watch, nor TV, Smartphone, jewellery, coffee maker, BBQ, generator etc. etc., just max 50 Euros 'emergency' cash.
I guess the most tradeable items would be my two Gaslow cylinders and a couple bottles of St Emilion.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Talk radio playing in the back. The sound of voices can be a deterrent. I also leave a rugger ball on the dashboard. šŸ˜
An even better deterrent would be the 'Best of Des O'Connor' album.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back