Lithium System Advice Please (1 Viewer)

Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Kim will give up work in the next 2 or 3 months and we will travel Europe for 2 to 5 months returning for her regular hospital checkups.
Our motorhome is now over 4 years old so I am thinking of upgrading our battery system. We have a 100 watt solar panel charging the leisure and engine batteries.
We are quite frugal with our electric usage - internal led lights, 12 volt TV and heating fan. I am thinking of using First RV Leisure of St. Helens. But I need an idea what I need to have confidence in our battery system while off grid.
Size of lithium battery? Do I need an inverter? Should I increase my solar.
Thanks in anticipation.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I think you should do all three. Last year I fitted a Fogstar 230 ah lithium drift battery, a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter, and another 120 watt solar. It has worked very well for moderate use like you suggest. My post called lithium update might help you.
Phil

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
We also have a 230a lithium, a 1500 w Sunshine solar inverter, and I have now got 400w of solar, im wodering what to use all of the capacity on :rolleyes:. We now use electric for kettle, toaster, bike charging, microwave, hair equipment ( not mine ) and I have probably forgotten something.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Can you manage off grid with your current system? If so why do you need more capacity? It could be all you need for peace of mind is a straight replacement of your current batteries although our original leisure battery lasted 7 or 8 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I would 'over spec' whatever you decide you need, if you have the funds to do so AND if it's within budget. If you're paying for someone to install, then it's only the cost of the items that should increase. We have 304Ah lithium and a 3000w inverter, with 200w of lithium.
It was a real game changer for us and we now use a lot less LPG than we used to as we cook everything via electricity, so there is a cost reduction on consumables.... and we don't have as much LPG anxiety as we used to have.

If the opportunity arose, I would have our gas hob removed and have double induction hob installed, have the gas oven removed (put the microwave in there instead) and a compressor fridge/freezer installed in place if the current 12v/lpg/240v fridge freezer. If brave enough I would remove the lpg altogether (though still leave the pipework etc in place) .... I would potentially carry a small portable lpg cannister type BBQ/hob.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
1st presuming you have suitable status to stay more than 90 days

We only have 110ah battery & 100w solar and just spent a year in US with only 40 nights hu, no problem.
Only addition is a 300w inverter using 12v socket to charge laptop(s) & phones while driving.
You've managed 4 years, what are you changing to mean you need upgrade?
Not that I am but personally if I was looking at battery upgrade I'd list the thinks I wanted/needed to power
and for how long. That would then give you your requirement and go from there.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I would 'over spec' whatever you decide you need, if you have the funds to do so AND if it's within budget. If you're paying for someone to install, then it's only the cost of the items that should increase. We have 304Ah lithium and a 3000w inverter, with 200w of lithium.
It was a real game changer for us and we now use a lot less LPG than we used to as we cook everything via electricity, so there is a cost reduction on consumables.... and we don't have as much LPG anxiety as we used to have.
Out of interest what was the cost of installation.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Out of interest what was the cost of installation.
I installed it all myself, the lithium was @£800, inverter @£200, solar £100 plus bits but I reckon around £1500 all in plus quite a few days installing and a lot longer researching.
300 nights off grid and it will have paid for itself BUT importantly for us, it makes motorhoming so much simpler.

Re the payback time, if you just keep what you have, £1500 also pays for a lot of nights on EHU with no initial large outlay ....so it could be described as a nice to have upgrade but not a must have, if what you already have works for you then minor upgrades, like a smaller lithium without all the extras OR a B2B to recharge your existing battery a lot faster when travelling might be the more cost effective solution. We love our set up but that doesn't mean it was the best use of our money ....but, I would do it again without even thinking about it having now experienced the benefits of our 'spend' !

OP
OP
kimndon
Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for all your help. I have an Irish passport so no problem there. I am always keeping my eye on our battery levels and begin to worry when the leisure one goes down to two lit dots. We have phones, tablets and bikes to charge.
I can easily add another 100 watt solar - it's just a plug in. The current battery is under the driver's seat. Should I put the lithium there or there is a large space by the boiler. BSB? Not too sure what this means - I will research. Fancy trying it myself but only have rudimentary knowledge of electricity/battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
BSB? Not too sure what this means
I am thinking you meant B2B - Battery to Battery charger - Charges the leisure battery from the engine battery whilst you are driving with the alternator providing the power.

Much better than a simple split charge relay. Plenty of information on here.

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
kimndon as you have said that you have managed okay with a single leisure battery, I assume lead acid, and a 100 watt panel, and also say you are light electric users, is there a particular reason you are thinking of changing to lithium.
It is quite possible that besides having a lithium battery fitted and possibly another solar panel you will need a new solar controller, mains charger and B2B, depending of course whether your present charging sources have a lithium charge setting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back