LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Third time i'm prepping and varnishing our kitchen table, No4 daughters asks why "it's only a table", but.....

It was a piece of oak i picked up at a farm auction in Worcester over 20yrs ago
We convinced the removal man to to find a place for it in his van when we escaped the UK (because i knew one day it would come in handy)
Once we realised the kitchen in our new house needed a family kitchen that slab of oak came in handy.....
It's actually now part of the house as i installed a supporting beam through it (that was a fun day)

and since then

We've eaten off it 3 x a day
Argued across it more than once...
Used it as a homework desk, most days
Prepared meals on it daily
Even groomed the dog on it a few times a year

So every few years or so it does need a bit of TLC in the form of a good sanding down and a few coats of varnish, ready for the nest phase in family life:giggle:

This afternoon it got power planed down, roughly sanded and will get finished tomorrow before probably 8-10 coats of clear varnish make it look like new

So somehow it's become more than a table;)

IMG_0359.jpg

Next job after that is to sand and varnish the supporting beam after Ozzy the Maine Coon has been using it as a scratch post

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We bought a table when our kids were 5/7 it was made from recycled timber from a church weighed a ton and we ate around that table for the best part of thirty years the memories that table held over the growing years of our two sons will never be forgotten.
Its amazing how a piece of furniture can play a part in your life.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Whenever I go to my Mum's I sit in a chair that my parent bought 43 years ago (I was 7). Solid oak and beautiful.

That three piece suite has had 3 generations of kids bounce around on it, climb underneath and had many cats claw it.

When you buy decent solid oak stuff, it should outlast multiple generations, unlike the cheap tat that barely lasts 5 years these days.

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
When I married for the first time in 1970 we bought an Ercol table and six chairs. In the late 1980's we moved to a much bigger house so bought another, bigger, Ercol dining table and chairs. The old set went into the loft.

My son now has the old Ercol table and chairs and I can expect that to be passed on to his daughter!

Lots of memories around that table.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I was working as a shopfitter and joiner when a rather tasty young girl started as the secretary in the office and it was not too long before we were a couple. :love:
Soon after we made a four poster bed during lunch breaks and over a couple of weekends at work and Yvette helped by hanging on and steading lengths of timber
that were being passed through the planer and spindle moulder and held them nice and steady on the morticer.
Yvette put her sewing skills to work by making the canopy and curtains to go around the bed and it looked the biz when it was finished.

35 years on and a couple of house moves and we are still sleeping in the four poster. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
I love this thread...I am sitting in my lounge with my 10 year old son and in front of us is the original Cadbury display cabinet that was in my grandfather's driving school office when I was a little girl (1970's). It used to have Dinky cars in it which were handed down to my brother and cousin (because they are boys!)...but I don't mind because I have the cabinet and it's beautiful and it reminds me every day of the times when I used to play in the office while driving instructors came in and out between lessons. I think that was the start of my love of cars and anything with wheels in general. 💖💖

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We brought a recycled rimu floor table from an old Victorian villa in Auckland, NZ which is rather large seating 10 thats now in it's 4 house after travelling half-way across the world to the UK. Any discussion on a change of scenery usually includes the Cat(s) and this table it is part of the family. Many many memories over the years.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Don’t varnish oak, you need to use and oak specific sealant 👍

tell me more before I get the varnish out😀

I need a finish that is wipeable and hard wearing hence varnish has always seemed like a logical solution, usually it’s 8 or so coats of acrylic based clear gloss as it’s as hard as nails afterwards but open to alternatives👍🏻

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Third time i'm prepping and varnishing our kitchen table, No4 daughters asks why "it's only a table", but.....

We convinced the removal man to to find a place for it in his van when we escaped the UK (because i knew one day it would come in handy)
Once we realised the kitchen in our new house needed a family kitchen that slab of oak came in handy.....
It's actually now part of the house as i installed a supporting beam through it (that was a fun day)

and since then

So every few years or so it does need a bit of TLC in the form of a good sanding down and a few coats of varnish, ready for the nest phase in family life:giggle:

This afternoon it got power planed down, roughly sanded and will get finished tomorrow before probably 8-10 coats of clear varnish make it look like new

View attachment 531008

Next job after that is to sand and varnish the supporting beam after Ozzy the Maine Coon has been using it as a scratch post
I agree that is a magnificent piece of fine timber.
My dad was a carpenter of the old school and I learnt to love wood and woodworking by watching him; when he died I donated some of his tools to the local museum (Ware). I still hear him saying " that's a nice bit of me'ogany"
I also have a plank that has travelled the world (literally New Zealand and back, Holland and back), which was recently stripped back and is awaiting installation in our home sometime, hopefully before I pop me clogs.
Thanks for sharing

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have the writing desk my Dad made as his "College Piece" - he had to make it as part of his final exams, I suppose the modern equivalent of an Apprentice Piece when a young man would gain journeyman status if his work was good enough (Dad's was). It's made from Australia Black Bean Tree. The other piece I have is an inlaid small table that we use as a stand for av equipment - that, together with a matching cabinet still with my parents - were the equivalent of his Master Piece Set.

When I was given the two pieces I had Dad sign them for me - under a drawer and under the tabletop with a bit of their history and when they were given to me. I am hoping to inherit the cabinet when the time comes but my sister will have first option given that I have the other two pieces. Mum replaced the writing desk with a bureau she inherited from her father. I already have a very similar (mass produced) bureau so my sister will also receive that should she want it.

I tend to buy furniture at auction and often wonder if the original owners are content (or even happy) that I buy things I like and that "call" to me. I have no issues with upcycling - the pieces are being used and loved and repurposed which must be better than replacing with plastic or resin infused pulp.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have had a replacement cast and tiled fireplace for some time for our lounge to be in keeping with the Edwardian fireplaces in the rest of the house and finally got to make the change .
When we removed the white painted surround realised it was solid oak and from the original build in 1924 , so scraped , sanded and beeswaxed and for us it looks much better.
Decorate the room next.

04A913A2-8291-48BA-8FC7-58F2B96ABB86.jpeg
B04F9A82-ECE9-448D-81D3-D85849D4BCCE.jpeg
DFC6864B-3861-4FBE-9DCD-9CD2B109EAB7.jpeg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

and since then

View attachment 531008

$ daughters and only 5 chairs?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
When I married for the first time in 1970 we bought an Ercol table and six chairs. In the late 1980's we moved to a much bigger house so bought another, bigger, Ercol dining table and chairs. The old set went into the loft.

My son now has the old Ercol table and chairs and I can expect that to be passed on to his daughter!

Lots of memories around that table.

I seem to remember that Ercol used beech timber, am I right? Has it still lasted as well as oak?

Geoff

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
We have had a replacement cast and tiled fireplace for some time for our lounge to be in keeping with the Edwardian fireplaces in the rest of the house and finally got to make the change .
When we removed the white painted surround realised it was solid oak and from the original build in 1924 , so scraped , sanded and beeswaxed and for us it looks much better.
Decorate the room next.

View attachment 531165View attachment 531166View attachment 531167
Much better!!

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Same here with my parents Mahogany dining table the arguments and laughs (6sisters!) Burnt food (often! ) Feeding the food you didn't like to the dog under the table. Sneaking a aero modeller magazine under the table to read.....

We bought a table when our kids were 5/7 it was made from recycled timber from a church weighed a ton and we ate around that table for the best part of thirty years the memories that table held over the growing years of our two sons will never be forgotten.
Its amazing how a piece of furniture can play a part in your life.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
As with all wood that has been felled and machined, it is effectively still “alive”

Oak likes to “breath” so sealing with varnish causes issues with the oak.

You can buy things like Dulux Diamond Glaze.
It’s formulated to allow the oak to do its thing whilst preventing fluid ingress 😊

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
tell me more before I get the varnish out😀

I need a finish that is wipeable and hard wearing hence varnish has always seemed like a logical solution, usually it’s 8 or so coats of acrylic based clear gloss as it’s as hard as nails afterwards but open to alternatives👍🏻
Danish oil is the stuff I use on our oak work tops

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes but nice in its own right.

Also when your Oak chair decides to twist and it starts to rock 🙄😊
Shouldn’t do if seasoned before machining , it is susceptible to worm but I do love the character of grain and the smell of English oak being worked.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007

and since then

View attachment 531008

Looks great. You could hang garlic, fruit, and shrunken heads on it. It would remind you to eat all your greens.
Phil

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
As with all wood that has been felled and machined, it is effectively still “alive”

Oak likes to “breath” so sealing with varnish causes issues with the oak.

You can buy things like Dulux Diamond Glaze.
It’s formulated to allow the oak to do its thing whilst preventing fluid ingress 😊

it was actually diamond glaze we used the first time around as i had some over from some floors we'd done at the previous house. Didn't know it allowed the oak to breath although being lazy i don't varnish the underneath of the table, maybe that helps ?

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
I seem to remember that Ercol used beech timber, am I right? Has it still lasted as well as oak?

Geoff
Beech for legs and chair backs Elm for table tops and the chair seats. Apart from a mark on the table top where my ex-husband spilt boiling hot gravy, in about 1985, the table is as good as new, a couple of the chair backs are a little bit creaky, but can be restored. My son and his partner love it and are using it every day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back