Is it time to drain Van (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Drained my tanks on Sunday after we came back from a few days on the East Coast. Was hoping to use it again before christmas, but we are quite busy and probably wont get the chance so have SORNed it as well.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Drained my tanks on Sunday after we came back from a few days on the East Coast. Was hoping to use it again before christmas, but we are quite busy and probably wont get the chance so have SORNed it as well.
Just because it's drained down doesn't stop me from using my van, I just use a couple of water containers, site EHU & showers and a 4season sleeping bag.

Van life is slightly different but variety is the spice of life 👍

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
All drained , both boiler and water tank, rat/mouse bait strategically placed around no peanut butter as yet. If needs be ican always purchase water bottles to take away on small trip.
1701273917886.png
1701274007623.png

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I put a small thermostatic tube greenhouse heater in mine when it’s forecast to be extra cold for longer period seems to keep the van aired as well😊very cheap to run👍

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I use mine regularly through the winter and keep an eye on temps..when it's gonna hit 2 I make sure I've switched off the pump as normal . Open all taps and always have it plugged in in drive at 5 Deg.
Could easily just drain and leave heating off but I've got used to this way now and it's nice and "aired out" when I use it...at least weekly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
The header tank in the wardrobe contains antifreeze for the Alde heating... Never top that up with water. Refilling the tank is easy and then the pipes and boiler to expel air
So the Aldi heating system's water is a different system to the fresh water yes/no. Two seperate systems??

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That's how i used to do it with my pvc. But with a small electric fire inside on frost plus a few degrees. The auto dump would work at about 5 degrees, but we haven't got that on the present van. It would occasionally dump while we were travelling, so you could arrive with an empty tank. How do you northerners get on with camping in winter with auto dump?
Don't have one.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
So the Aldi heating system's water is a different system to the fresh water yes/no. Two seperate systems??

It is. The heating circuit passes through a cylinder within the boiler. The cylinder is heated by gas or electricity. The electric elements are inside the cylinder and in contact with the water/antifreeze of the heating circuit.

Hot water is contained within a cylindrical jacket around the heating cylinder and therefore heated indirectly.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

The Alde heating system is like your (water filled) central heating system at home. There is no requirement to do anything with this in preparation for winter as it contains anti-freeze.

The heat input to the central heating system is generated in the Alde boiler. The Alde boiler also heats the domestic hot water system. The Alde boiler can be run to heat the radiators even if there is no water in the boiler.

The reason that it’s important to drain down the freshwater system is to empty the Alde boiler to prevent damage to the boiler in the event that the water were to freeze.

Ian

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
All drained and plugged in now we have had our last trip. The bedding is washed and stored away.
Unless we have a day out the next time we need to go anywhere in the van will be MOT and service on the 4th of January.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You are starting to get annoying now. Spare a thought for the sensibilities of those of us stuck in the UK.
How much better to come in from the freezing cold to a pub with the roaring fire, sit down with friends over a nice pint of wallop, instead of going into an air-conditioned bar! Cheers! 😄

Last edited:

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
You would be suprised at the number of owners who never think of purging the pioes, water pump, shower hear, nature pure, surge damper and the like and par the price.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
If not using in the next week we drain after every trip, even in the Summer. In the Winter it is drained after every trip, even if going out next week. I just feel it is a good habit to get into and only takes 30 minutes to get it all filled and purged again.

Nov 22, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
Always worth running for a short time regularly, whatever the weather! 😄
A new tip came up on here recently and I tried it. Brilliant. I got a strong celebration balloon from the local card shop. Blow up. Put mouth of balloon over tap. Gently push air out. Wow. Couldn't believe how effective. All the taps let out a dribble of water to final one in the pipe run, the shower. GREAT. Nothing in my taps so that nasty little lurking drop or two - GONE. thanks to whoever it was for the tip.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
A new tip came up on here recently and I tried it. Brilliant. I got a strong celebration balloon from the local card shop. Blow up. Put mouth of balloon over tap. Gently push air out. Wow. Couldn't believe how effective. All the taps let out a dribble of water to final one in the pipe run, the shower. GREAT. Nothing in my taps so that nasty little lurking drop or two - GONE. thanks to whoever it was for the tip.
Good shout. I guess it could go one step further with this too and a decent pair of lungs
Amazon product ASIN B09Q32H1JD

Jul 19, 2018
South Angus, South of the Sidlaws.
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseSelect184
Exp
Since 2011
With this cold spell has anybody drained their van of water to protect against frost/ice damage.
I have been putting off draining mine as I intended to use it in the next few weeks but now the nights are getting below - 0C should I be taking action.
I now drain the entire water system every time we return from a trip. Saves forgetting and getting expensive tap and boiler damage.
All UK seems to be forecast sub zero over next few days.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I use mine regularly through the winter and keep an eye on temps..when it's gonna hit 2 I make sure I've switched off the pump as normal . Open all taps and always have it plugged in in drive at 5 Deg.
Could easily just drain and leave heating off but I've got used to this way now and it's nice and "aired out" when I use it...at least weekly.

Open all taps!!!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I use a piece of hose pipe, works just as well and excercises the lung muscles. Win,win! 😄
EDIT: Just seen post #47 👍

Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Mine had been drained down but then refilled by the dealer for the habitation check. Did they drain it when finished considering the weather - what do you think!! I only remembered late at nght when the frost was about to hit and too late to get to the storage facility. Being the first time I had been in for a habitation check after switching from a caravan the need to ensure the onboard tanks had been drained didnt really enter my mind. It will now!!!
Exactly my issue... Did they drain it. Will check.

Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring XL
Exp
Since 2012
No sign of frosts here yet but think
I’ll do mine anyway, don’t want to get caught out

May 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T66
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, I've done ours - even though we'll be using it again next week. Used the Floe gadget to get the last bits of water out. I've used it for the past 3 or 4 years. Not essential I guess, but added peace of mind.

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Glad ours was drained yesterday morning as -6 C here in sunny Lancashire. Had to go out and scrape ice as MH booked in for MOT at 08:30 4 miles away. Shivered at a bus stop for 20 minutes to get home but then found out when I collected it at lunchtime that although they did the cambelt and water pump in summer they struggle to do MH MOTs and sub-contract them ……… to the garage round the corner from me. Yes, 16 miles to do 800 yards. If only they had told me this minor detail !

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Glad ours was drained yesterday morning as -6 C here in sunny Lancashire. Had to go out and scrape ice as MH booked in for MOT at 08:30 4 miles away. Shivered at a bus stop for 20 minutes to get home but then found out when I collected it at lunchtime that although they did the cambelt and water pump in summer they struggle to do MH MOTs and sub-contract them ……… to the garage round the corner from me. Yes, 16 miles to do 800 yards. If only they had told me this minor detail !
You'll know next year, possibly save yourself 10%. 👍

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Never drain ours down, as our diesel heater has a frost guard mode which does as it says and by leaving the internal lower locker doors open the heat permeates thought to stop the water pipes freezing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back