International Driving Permits (IDP) (2 Viewers)

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
The contract for the issuing of International driving permits has as of the 1st April been moved from the Post Office to Paypoint outlets.

On the face of it this seems like not much of an issue as there are many outlets across the country, and we live in a large town (in the home counties) with lots of shops, super stores and local satellite shopping centres and when looking up outlets there are lots with many close by.

The problem arises when you then narrow down these sites to those that actually issue IDP’s and that’s when the shock faces you that you need to drive 30minmurtes to get to one that issues IDP’s.

This is a complete diminution of what used to be easy to use at post offices.

So if you may need one in the future, I suggest you have a quick search online to find your nearest paypoint that actually does IDP as not many do.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Why would you need one?
I was advised to get one as I have the old paper license and continental plod expect to see a photo license.
So the thinking was it might save some confusion and time in the event of being stopped and asked for my license.
I've no idea if that's sound reasoning, but for the fiver the IDP costs it seems worthwhile to get one.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve not checked up since they were no longer needed all the time, so didn’t replace my two, but I thought we no longer needed one in any EU member state, not just Schengen ones.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I agree. But I have never understood why people have not changed to photo licence. Is there any advantage not changing? AFAIK they will have to change when their licence runs out at 70.
If you've not moved house and changed address why would you update to a photo license ?
Apart from anything else, they have to be replaced every 10 years

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you've not moved house and changed address why would you update to a photo license ?
Apart from anything else, they have to be replaced every 10 years
But without it you need to have an IDP for foreign travel and they only last 3 years. So what's the the advantage?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
But without it you need to have an IDP for foreign travel and they only last 3 years. So what's the the advantage?
Looked at like that, there's probably no advantage, lazyness I suppose and a desire not to have to deal with DVLA :rofl:
I just looked, it's free to update to a photo license, they use the photo they have from your digital passport renewal, can apply online and so it looks pretty painless.

I think I'll probably do it over the weekend (y)

I'll be sorry to say goodbye to the paper one though which has been with me through so much :unsure:

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Looked at like that, there's probably no advantage, lazyness I suppose and a desire not to have to deal with DVLA :rofl:
I just looked, it's free to update to a photo license, they use the photo they have from your digital passport renewal, can apply online and so it looks pretty painless.

I think I'll probably do it over the weekend (y)

I'll be sorry to say goodbye to the paper one though which has been with me through so much :unsure:

I wanted to swap from paper to photo card but wanted to keep the paper licence for sentimental reasons so I conveniently 'lost' my paper licence.

The cost is the same at £20.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I wanted to swap from paper to photo card but wanted to keep the paper licence for sentimental reasons so I conveniently 'lost' my paper licence.

The cost is the same at £20.
I believe it's free to upgrade if you have your paper license and £20 if you don't.
I'm attached to it, but not 20 quids worth of attachment.
I have it scanned so I can look at that if I get nostalgic :rofl:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Mine too, for 60 years.

2018-07-10 First Driving licence 002.JPG

2018-07-10 First Driving licence 2 (2).jpg

and my one and only driving indiscretion six days before getting my full licence (I was driving on my green 'Pass' slip).......

2018-07-10 First Driving licence 004.JPG

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
I believe it's free to upgrade if you have your paper license and £20 if you don't.
I'm attached to it, but not 20 quids worth of attachment.
I have it scanned so I can look at that if I get nostalgic :rofl:

No.

It's only free with a change of some details.

If you are doing a straight swap with no changes the cost is £20, the same as if you have 'lost' your paper licence.

Screenshot_20240426-195434.png

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
No.

It's only free with a change of some details.

If you are doing a straight swap with no changes the cost is £20, the same as if you have 'lost' your paper licence.

View attachment 890442
This is what it says on the website . . .

Fees​

It’s free to get a new licence if you’ve changed your name or address and still have your paper licence

It costs £20 to get a new licence if your licence has been defaced, lost, stolen or destroyed or for any other reason.

You can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
This is what it says on the website . . .

Fees​

It’s free to get a new licence if you’ve changed your name or address and still have your paper licence

It costs £20 to get a new licence if your licence has been defaced, lost, stolen or destroyed or for any other reason.

You can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card.

Yes, that screenshot I posted was from the DVLA web site.

If you tell them it's 'lost' it costs £20 but you keep your paper licence.

If you do a straight paper licence to photo card swap (with no change of details) it costs £20 but presumably you have to return and therefore no longer have your paper licence.

You indicated you wanted to get a photo card licence but hang on to your paper licence, 'losing it' is a way of doing this.

And the cost is the same however you do it.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
I doubt if anyone in another country knows what a IDP is….😆
I have certainly obtained one here in france, we just do it on line, I was going to the states, second time to Australia, normally I wouldn't bother, but as i was renting a camper on each occasion and have a french licence, I thought better to have one than have any problems at the pickup. In fact both times they were happy with my french licence.

OP
OP
John745
Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Things with Paypoint is even worse than first thought, I rand a couple of Paypoints to check if the Web site was correct they did IDP, but the answer was No they did not.
So travel distance increased even further!

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I have certainly obtained one here in france, we just do it on line, I was going to the states, second time to Australia, normally I wouldn't bother, but as i was renting a camper on each occasion and have a french licence, I thought better to have one than have any problems at the pickup. In fact both times they were happy with my french licence.
Same here, on two occasions I have purchased a IDP as per advice, once for Eastern Europe and again for a trip from Morocco to The Gambia. When asked for my papers at borders not once was any official remotely interested in the IDP. Begs the question are they relevant any more?

Aug 15, 2018
Funster No
I always hire a car in France (LeClerk) as we stay at our house for 3 weeks as part of the holiday and using the camper while there is a pain. Last year they asked for an IDP as well as my license even tho I know I don't need one. The supervisor asked if we were Brits and said ok. So just incase I'm getting one this year.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
I was advised to get one as I have the old paper license and continental plod expect to see a photo license.
So the thinking was it might save some confusion and time in the event of being stopped and asked for my license.
I've no idea if that's sound reasoning, but for the fiver the IDP costs it seems worthwhile to get one.
Why not just get a photo licence?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've still got mine also .along with some paper ones.

I doubt if anyone in another country knows what a IDP is….😆
Yiou'd be surprised Years back before I changed they even wanted one with a Uk photo licence.
also needed here when going to non eu countries & available from the DGT

Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
AIUI, If going along the Croatian cost between Split and Dubrovnik you need an IDP for the 10 mile strip of Bosnia & Herzogovina that reaches the coast.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back