Induction hobs at IKEA (2 Viewers)

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
Thanks for contributions, I’ve got 2 x 110 batteries & rarely on hook up, with 3 x (approx 250w solar on roof), the solar keeps it topped up even thru winter & im not a heavy “leccy” user, I cook extensively in the van on gas but noted Derek’s post & I’ve not nearly got enough unused stuff in the van yet (see other thread) so was considering one.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Modern pacemakers are safe with induction hobs. Check with your cardiologist
Hi.
Thanks for the upgrade. It is Super Wife. At the moment she is waiting for a new battery to be fitted,could i ask for a " Pause button " to be fitted ?...... Just asking............ ;)
Tea Bag

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
In my T5 conversion, with 200W solar and 200Ah of Battery, I used to use the Induction hob during the day instead of the gas hob to make cuppas, bit of lunch , etc, as a way to use up battery power as otherwise by around 11AM the batteries would be full from overnight use and the Solar would be sat on the roof doing nothing.
may as well put the solar into some use in the afternoon!

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I just use gas as I’m already carrying that. Why cart around more stuff. Gas hob and a bbq. That’s enough options for me.
I just ave a briefcase style gas cooker beat that! That's enough options for me...
ATM the kitchen sink is broken and I have to turn round to use the bathroom one!
We're tight up north!!🤣🤣🤣

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just for info, I put this in our club magazine recently because a lot of people are cooking and heating with EHU at the moment due to LPG supply issues

A CAMPSITE ELECTRIC HOOK UP?

First of all, do not take large wattage kettles, toasters etc from home. Try to use low watt alternatives.

DIVIDE THE APPLIANCE WATTAGE BY THE VOLTS TO GIVE THE AMPS. IF ON A LOW AMP OR SHARED/SPLIT HOOK-UP, TURN SOMETHING OFF BEFORE SWITCHING SOMETHING ON. I.E. SWITCH YOUR WATER HEATER OFF BEFORE USING TOASTER.

Think only 1 heating element at a time. Switch off 1 before using another.

Examples of amps conversion.

Toaster 1300w = 5.6 amps

Microwave 1000w = 4.3 amps

Small Air Fryer 1000w = 4.3 amps

Colour T.V. 130w = 0.4-1.3 amps

Hairdryer 300w = 1.3 amps (most hairdryers are at least 1000W!)

Truma heater half load 1000 = 4.2 amp

Truma water heater = 2.7 amp

Laptop Charger 80w = 0.4 amp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I only have a 1000w inverter and the induction works great. I have a shunt so keep an eye on remaining battery power, if I know I am driving or it will be a sunny day, I will use the electric in preference to gas for the fridge and the cooking.

Why wouldn’t you given the price of LPG? The electricity via the solar is free once the install is in.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Can you use induction hobs via your inverter?

colyboy
Yes, no issue at all.

Just check the rating and stay within the capacity of your inverter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
Love the idea of induction but the ‘cycling’ thing worries me a bit.

besides the streetwise one, are there any others where the wattage you select is actually the wattage stated rather than it drawing full power but only for a second or two?

I’d like to be able to know that on say settings up to number 5 are ok for a 6 amp ECU, or up to setting 10 is ok on a 16 amp set up etc!

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
The one I’ve just got I’ve just played with, as several helpful members have mentioned above the one bought can be set at different power draw levels, although using the 300w settings a cuppa takes longer to make than drink, via inverter, but, my electric was free (sun/solar) & im of the opinion when I’m in the van I’m on holiday, so, what’s my rush?
If I do go on hook up, speedy & not using gas, billy bonus.
For £35 what’s not too like?

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Love the idea of induction but the ‘cycling’ thing worries me a bit.

besides the streetwise one, are there any others where the wattage you select is actually the wattage stated rather than it drawing full power but only for a second or two?

I’d like to be able to know that on say settings up to number 5 are ok for a 6 amp ECU, or up to setting 10 is ok on a 16 amp set up etc!
We have been using a cheap portable induction hob for some years now. No problems encountered on any site, provided all other demands are switched off!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back