Induction hob recommendations? (2 Viewers)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I am looking at fitting a double 'burner' induction hob. Ideally one that is fitted into the worktop, rather than a portable one plonked on top that has to be put away somewhere every time we move. What makes/models do others have?

How do yours work on low settings? Do they genuinely turn down, or do they switch on & off to keep the average power down? If the latter, do you find that causes any problems when trying to cook something gently?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I am looking at fitting a double 'burner' induction hob. Ideally one that is fitted into the worktop, rather than a portable one plonked on top that has to be put away somewhere every time we move. What makes/models do others have?

How do yours work on low settings? Do they genuinely turn down, or do they switch on & off to keep the average power down? If the latter, do you find that causes any problems when trying to cook something gently?

I’ve (I like to think of it being SWMBO’s not mine 🤣) got a single non fitted version. The power draw is pulsed depending on the setting. I personally think they are very efficient and runs perfectly happy off the inverter. Relatively easy to simmer with one, although it goes from barely simmering to simmering, as it pulses, if you follow me? We don’t use in winter (not enough solar), but in summer with excess solar, they are great!

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Carpmart Thanks for that. So would you say that the pulse effect at lower power levels was just a minor irritation, rather than something that made gentle cooking or simmering a bit of a pain?

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We have the Vango Sizzle double hob. Not built in though.
800w or 1600w if using both hobs, works from the inverter if needed. As far as I can tell it does switch down using the 5 power settings.
Picked mine up for £50 from Marketplace, never been used.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Carpmart Thanks for that. So would you say that the pulse effect at lower power levels was just a minor irritation, rather than something that made gentle cooking or simmering a bit of a pain?

IMHO, yes it’s a minor irritation, but awesome for power consumption, simmering pasta it’s perfect, just poaching delicate fish, not quite enough fine control…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Not a built in version but we use the Tillreda twin induction hob from IKEA on the top of our AGA when it’s off during the middle months of the year. Never had an issue with it not maintaining the set heat from low/simmer to boiling. It would be suitable to take away in the moho but we already have enough appliances for that.

Single induction hob also available:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We've got a cheap induction hob at home. It works fine. The pulse on and off is pretty obvious at anything except max. My mum's high end induction AEG hob does heat more evenly across the pan and the pulsing is barely noticeable. But I don't think it affects the cooking.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Simon, we have had a 4 burner induction hob in the kitchen at home for 4 years now. Badged John Lewis but I think it was built by AEG. Quicker than the previous gas hob and more controllable IMHO. And very much easier to clean, with just a flat glass plate with no nooks and crannies unlike the gas hob. The only problem is that you may need to get new pots and pans, as they need a ferrous metal base pan before it can work.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Not a built in version but we use the Tillreda twin induction hob from IKEA on the top of our AGA when it’s off during the middle months of the year. Never had an issue with it not maintaining the set heat from low/simmer to boiling. It would be suitable to take away in the moho but we already have enough appliances for that.

Single induction hob also available:

I've been looking at the Lagan, which is essentially the same, but the burners are side by side & it's a fitted unit. It's good to hear that you haven't found the pulsing creating any problems. It does get mentioned in the reviews by some though.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Simon, we have had a 4 burner induction hob in the kitchen at home for 4 years now. Badged John Lewis but I think it was built by AEG. Quicker than the previous gas hob and more controllable IMHO. And very much easier to clean, with just a flat glass plate with no nooks and crannies unlike the gas hob. The only problem is that you may need to get new pots and pans, as they need a ferrous metal base pan before it can work.
Yes, I would agree with everything you say. The 4 burner domestic kitchen models are in a different league to the smaller 2 burner ones. Trouble is, they are too big for the space available, draw 7kW at full chat & are a bit pricey! But they do come with much better control systems.

Fortunately, I do have some suitable pans for it already.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Border Leisure do a 1600w table top induction cooker that we tried on a 2000w inverter and worked really well.
The Sterling stand at NEC have a built-in induction that looks pretty good. Not tried it but looks nice.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Border Leisure do a 1600w table top induction cooker that we tried on a 2000w inverter and worked really well.
The Sterling stand at NEC have a built-in induction that looks pretty good. Not tried it but looks nice.
Thanks Roger. I saw the video you did on the Outdoor Revolution cooker. Did your daughter end up with it & if so, is she pleased with it? Mine will be going into a VW T6.1, so storage will be at a premium, which is why I'm really looking for something I can set into the worktop & not have to find somewhere to put it away every time.

I've also got a 3kVA inverter & a 5.5kWH 24v system to power it, so I'm not quite so limited on max power. I can go above the 800W of that one.

The Sterling is on my short list. Credit to them in that they are up-front about the pulse method of limiting power below 800W - lots don't mention it. Cheap microwaves have the same issue, but it's likely to be less of a problem than on the stove top.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Sterling Power do individual round ones that can be fitted in a worktop, I've no experience of them, I use an individual free standing Tefal one.
Yes, they look neat & I like the way the controls can be placed away from the hob itself. This van won't have built in gas, so this will be the main cooker, which is why I'd like dual burners.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Roger. I saw the video you did on the Outdoor Revolution cooker. Did your daughter end up with it & if so, is she pleased with it? Mine will be going into a VW T6.1, so storage will be at a premium, which is why I'm really looking for something I can set into the worktop & not have to find somewhere to put it away every time.
Yeah, it’s working well. So far so good 👍

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Yeah, it’s working well. So far so good 👍
That's good to hear. You've not been tempted to fit anything yourself yet then? I appreciate that there is less incentive in a van already equipped with gas cooking facilities, but I assume you are not short of available power!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have a mixture of Ali and stainless pans, will they both work on an induction hob…?

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I have a mixture of Ali and stainless pans, will they both work on an induction hob…?
The acid test is “is the base magnetic?”

Just get a decent magnet. If it sticks to the base it’s probably ok

You can’t immediately tell from the material if construction- some Ali bases have a magnetic steel disc in the base so they work with induction hobs. Some Stainless steel pans are not magnetic.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
That's good to hear. You've not been tempted to fit anything yourself yet then? I appreciate that there is less incentive in a van already equipped with gas cooking facilities, but I assume you are not short of available power!
I am tempted 🙂

But then I remember our external BBQ point and I think of the effort to remove the tank and I think I can live with filling LPG once a year (maybe even two years). I can’t imagine life without the BBQ and our soon-to-be-tested Cadac external twin cooker suitcase thingie!

I also have a LPG converted Honda gennie plumbed in that I last used in 2007 😬 …. but just in case 🤣

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've been looking at the Lagan, which is essentially the same, but the burners are side by side & it's a fitted unit. It's good to hear that you haven't found the pulsing creating any problems. It does get mentioned in the reviews by some though.
I purchased a Von Chef double induction hob several years ago. It does “pulse” a bit on the low settings but is an excellent bit of kit. Fitted perfectly on the double burner on the Le Voyageur and nicely on the cooker in the Wildax. Even use it when running the inverter

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Nigel had a look at a 12v induction hob today (built in) which looks good. It will draw about 200A as it’s 2500w.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Would this fit in the gap where your Gas hob may be ?

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Nigel had a look at a 12v induction hob today (built in) which looks good. It will draw about 200A as it’s 2500w.
Interesting. Does it have it's own built in inverter? I'm not sure what voltage the 230v versions run on internally for the induction coils. I hadn't really thought to investigate the internal circuitry of an induction cooker - maybe time I did!

My van is going to be 24v though, so unless they also do a 24v version, it won't work for me.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Would this fit in the gap where your Gas hob may be ?

It will be fitted where a gas hob would otherwise be fitted.

I have had a look at that one, but rejected it. It is nicely spec'ed for inverter use, but apart from that it isn't very special. While they don't actually say so, I assume it also pulses at lower power levels, because the spec's talk about average power & you wouldn't need the word 'average' if it didn't pulse. If it didn't pulse, I'm sure they would have mentioned it - if only to justify the price.

It appears to be between 2 & 3 times the price of several others of very similar spec. I haven't been able to find anything to justify that sort of price difference.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It will be fitted where a gas hob would otherwise be fitted.

I have had a look at that one, but rejected it. It is nicely spec'ed for inverter use, but apart from that it isn't very special. While they don't actually say so, I assume it also pulses at lower power levels, because the spec's talk about average power & you wouldn't need the word 'average' if it didn't pulse. If it didn't pulse, I'm sure they would have mentioned it - if only to justify the price.

It appears to be between 2 & 3 times the price of several others of very similar spec. I haven't been able to find anything to justify that sort of price difference.
That’s interesting, I suspect that there are other gas jobs out there that are cheaper than the Dometic one it’s just Dometic is the brand fitted by some of the manufacturers but as with many things the cost to buy after market is quite high. Good luck with your search

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
PeterCarole29 bought an induction hob that they could build into their worktop of their latest conversion, they may be able to offer some insight?

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Interesting. Does it have it's own built in inverter? I'm not sure what voltage the 230v versions run on internally for the induction coils. I hadn't really thought to investigate the internal circuitry of an induction cooker - maybe time I did!

My van is going to be 24v though, so unless they also do a 24v version, it won't work for me.
Not sure - a 2.5kw in a van seems ott to me.
I’ll try ask today.

To my mind if you already have a need for an inverter I’d stick with 230v. Your 24v will play nicely with that.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Not sure - a 2.5kw in a van seems ott to me.
I’ll try ask today.
Yes, 2.5kw is rather a lot in a small van, whether direct at 12v or via an inverter. It's certainly towards the upper limit for reasonable inverter use. At 230v, ok for UK campsite hook-ups, I suppose, which in theory can supply double that. Probably shouldn't run the fan heater in the awning at the same time. :rofl: :rofl:

I'm not much of a chef, but I don't suppose one would often run both burners at full power at the same time.
To my mind if you already have a need for an inverter I’d stick with 230v. Your 24v will play nicely with that.
I agree. I was still interested that such a thing existed though. As I said earlier, I must look up what the internal circuitry does with the input voltage before it's suitable for driving the coils. I've forgotten most of my A Level Physics now - it was a long time ago. I remember doing a bit on electric motors & Flemings Left Hand Rule featured somewhere. :unsure: Everything we did was about producing motion rather than heat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back