Improving security on the garage doors (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I think your answer is in your question?

You state all the things that most of us old school motorhomers wouldn't do. Some of us have been motorhoming long enough to of enjoyed staying at the old Calais aire whereby you could sleep sound watching the ferries go in and out.

If you don't do the things you refer to as "horror stories" when abroad, you might enjoy it more.

Regarding motorhome locks, I locked my self out of my van once. I borrowed a screwdriver, I was in in just 22 seconds via the garage door and up through the bed. My wife couldn't believe it and no damaged caused either. Whatever you put on, a miss spent youth wouldn't make it any different.

Get yourself a decent alarm and don't make your van look ugly and worth breaking in to would be my view.

My view has always been the same, If I park somewhere and it makes me feel even the tinyest bit uneasy, I move on. I wouldn't park in Toxteth overnight, regardless of how good the "aire" was. In much the same way, I wouldn't stop the night in various cities overseas.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It would be really interesting to know the likelihood of being broken into in France Vs broken into in the UK I would be very surprised if there's much in it yet people in general do worry more about it visiting another country

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We’re heading to Europe in September and we’re complete newbies to motorhoming abroad. The horror stories we keep reading of motorhomes being broken in to whilst nearby Calais, just even filling with fuel, or in a queue for a ferry or tunnel, makes me very cautious and I’m looking to improve the security. Of course we’ll be sensible by not stopping nearby unless we have to and stopping at our first site a good hour or so away.

We had a garage door pop open whilst travelling last year, and after emptying the garage and having a good look the locks are poor, have minimal adjustment and only just catch when giving the doors a good slam. I’ve done what I can with adjustment. It strikes me that someone could easily break in with a little force, so I’m looking at alternative options to beef up security.
I can see Milenco and Fiamma do extra locks, has anyone fitted these? Is it straightforward? Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks

View attachment 886102
I'm not a fan of extra security because they will just cause more damage getting in.
What is in there that is so valuable? Can't you secure them the items better or immobilise them?

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I'm not a fan of extra security because they will just cause more damage getting in.
What is in there that is so valuable? Can't you secure them the items better or immobilise them?

It's funny because I leave my car unlocked for precisely that reason. Nothing of value in there, it's a 2008 workhorse with a radio from, well, 2008 that they wouldn't get a fiver for. If they are going to rifle through the glovebox anyway I don't want a broken window as well.

Yet I feel differently about the MH. Probably because it's got my bed in it. I dunno ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Our nearest brush with crime was a pair going around the carpark a Carrefour near Calais, just casually checking all the door handles to see if someone had left the van/car open.

With regards to this... if you're going to lever open a garage door, wouldn't the windows be just as vulnerable?

My general approach is to just look like a harder target than those around you. Keep stuff out of sight, turn on the alarm, lock the doors, etc.

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Had a variety of tents, tipis, motorhomes, caravans and now back to a coach built motorhome!
It’s nothing to do with value of goods it’s everything to do with migrants wanting to get to the UK however they can! Even if they break in to the garage and stow themselves there, or hold on underneath the van, even whilst your going the wrong way!

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
It’s nothing to do with value of goods it’s everything to do with migrants wanting to get to the UK however they can! Even if they break in to the garage and stow themselves there, or hold on underneath the van, even whilst your going the wrong way!

I've got the ultimate deterant for that - my dirty laundry. 10 minutes with an army of my worn socks and they'll be begging to go back!

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Had a variety of tents, tipis, motorhomes, caravans and now back to a coach built motorhome!
I've got the ultimate deterant for that - my dirty laundry. 10 minutes with an army of my worn socks and they'll be begging to go back!
Excellent plan! I like that. (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If that's the worry just check after stopping when close to the channel ports. I've not heard any reports of migrants being found turning aggressive in general most seem to just shrug their shoulders and move on.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Although I've never heard of it being an issue it's no effort to check the inside the garage just before catching the ferry / tunnel.
There has been reports of them hiding in your bathroom while you was shopping for last minute wine at the supermarket.

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Although I've never heard of it being an issue it's no effort to check the inside the garage just before catching the ferry / tunnel.
There has been reports of them hiding in your bathroom while you was shopping for last minute wine at the supermarket.
But the point is if they’re in there they’ve broken in! My original post was trying to stop or reduce the risk of that. Maybe if they could see an extra lock on there they’d move on to another motorhome in the queue! Anyway I’ve decided to leave it for the moment.

Dandm

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 12, 2020
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron 46
Exp
Since 2019
But the point is if they’re in there they’ve broken in! My original post was trying to stop or reduce the risk of that. Maybe if they could see an extra lock on there they’d move on to another motorhome in the queue! Anyway I’ve decided to leave it for the moment.
3 keyed alike still for sale in classifieds in case you decide to fit some !

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
3 keyed alike still for sale in classifieds in case you decide to fit some !
lol! (y) :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back