Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Right.. to start at the beginning
I have an old, but high spec Tosh 17" laptop that was running Win Vista
Some time ago I tried to upgrade it to Win10, only to find out after it all installed there were no vid drivers available for it... crashed the install completely
Sooo had a brain fart, dug out a Win 7 disk and managed to get that installed and working
Or so I thought
No matter what I have tried it will not access the internet
Tried all sorts, even stuff like restarting Winsock etc
It is connected to the web ( either hard wire or wifi ) but will not connect to any web site

Sooo... after working on this for about 2+ months I think, 'dig out the original XP Vista disk and rebuild it from scratch
Nope..
Canna over write Win7 with XP

So I think, use an NT boot disk.. The machine does not have a floppy but I have some a couple of original NT server and workstation CD's )
My thinking was command an NTFS file allocation which SHOULD ignore the FAT32 setup and format the drive in NTFS

Nope
Obviously with the machine running in Windows it will not format its self so I really need:

Either a way to get shot of the Win7
Or
A way to make the Win 7 work properly

Signed, desperate, lost and confused of Norfolk !!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Don't want to be negative Mr Jaws but I suspect what was once a "high spec" computer is now more or less obsolete.

I tried to do something similar with my massively expensive Sony Vaio mini laptop some time ago.

Cost me a huge fortune, became very slow, I allowed an "expert" to wipe it and install the up to date version of Windows (spit spit) and what neither he or I realised was that a lot of the things on-board like dvd playing and recording, finger print recognition and the like weren't operated by Windows but by Sony's own OS.

After some head hurting research, I found out that even if I invested in getting it all going again, it wouldn't perform anything like as well as a new machine which would cost less to buy brand new.

I took this to be one of my life's "signs", switched to a Samsung "phablet" running Android and have never looked back.

I have most of my important (to me) data (music, photos, films etc) stored on external hard drives which, if I jump through several hoops, I can access/transfer to my current, super fast and highly smart, devices.

Android... no expensive, yearly subscriptions... just Internet heaven.

JJ :cool:

PS. You can buy a fully working Sony Vaio, which I bought for around £1400, for under £100 these days

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Sadly I don’t think I can be of any help. Desperate, lost and confused seemed to be my default state when I used Windows, perhaps with the addition of bored whilst it slowly decided what it would, or would not, do. The only thing that saved me was the restore feature that took me back to a previous time and date. A splendid feature.

I fear JJ is right and your computer may be suffering from built in obsolescence. The other day I tried to update my old Asus laptop and in the end gave up. I hope someone knowledgeable is along soon to rescue you.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Have you tried a basic browser such as Opera - this sometimes allows basic access? If you have access to another computer you probably need to install the latest service pack and .NETFramework. Unfortunately Microsoft no longer support Win 7 but if you Google the service pack there are copies around tinternet

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Don't want to be negative Mr Jaws but I suspect what was once a "high spec" computer is now more or less obsolete.
I am well aware of its obsolescence in the real world, but I have some unobtainium software that simply will not run on anything after win7 ( in compatible mode )
Most are amateur radio related and there are proly rehashed up to date versions available IF your willing to shell out a few dozen quidlets
Have you tried a basic browser such as Opera - this sometimes allows basic access? If you have access to another computer you probably need to install the latest service pack and .NETFramework. Unfortunately Microsoft no longer support Win 7 but if you Google the service pack there are copies around tinternet
I think your right about the service packs, but every site I have found wants to download and install on the machine doing the downloading !
Same goes for different browsers.. Opera, Firefox, Chrome.... all the same. I can't find an install that can be downloaded and saved

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just found a site that you can download the service pack from !!
Gonna try that :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You could also try linux on a usb stick. Should enable you to format the drive.
That is my next step
Downloaded the service pack and it one non-executable file that SAYS it is a self unpacking one
It would be handy if Win 7 recognised it !!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Its a while back , but I seem to remember that Microsoft deliberately bricked system's access to the internet if it suspected pirated or unlicenced windows software around win7 and vista

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A quick search suggests you may not have the network drivers installed. This site mentions WiFi but the suggested steps are worth trying.

Sounds good but it is actually connected.. I can ping an IP address but the web is a no no !

1661972681266.png

Reactions: DBK
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
Have you downloaded the latest browser try chrome if your sure your network card as the latest drivers can you connect your wifi ok.
Also open device manager to see if all devices are ok if a red flag by a devise you need to update the drivers for that device

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have you downloaded the latest browser try chrome if your sure your network card as the latest drivers can you connect your wifi ok.
Also open device manager to see if all devices are ok if a red flag by a devise you need to update the drivers for that device
I cannot download a different browser on the machine and every download just wants to install to the machine it is downloading to :-(
All devices working ok and as above, it is connected to the interweb

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
can you no reset to factory settings and start again? but it is probably a little to be polite 'past it'

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
can you no reset to factory settings and start again? but it is probably a little to be polite 'past it'
Hmmmmmm.. Its pretty much covered in the posts above :)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Hmmmmmm.. Its pretty much covered in the posts above :)
If you do find a solution I have at least 4 laptops of various ages under the stairs that have given up the ghost

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you do find a solution I have at least 4 laptops of various ages under the stairs that have given up the ghost
Mechanically it is perfect.. I am hoping if I wipe the drive and reinstall XP all will be well so tomorrow I am gonna sort out a Linux boot stick

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well that was interesting.......
IPCONFIG /RELEASE

IPCONFIG /RENEW

After doing that I managed to access a couple of web sites, then blanko again !

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Well that was interesting.......
IPCONFIG /RELEASE

IPCONFIG /RENEW

After doing that I managed to access a couple of web sites, then blanko again !
I admire your tenacity

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have you tried putting a Portable App on a USB stick?
HERE
That looks promising.. cheers (y)
I will try something tomorrow.. getting a bit late now
Its a while back , but I seem to remember that Microsoft deliberately bricked system's access to the internet if it suspected pirated or unlicenced windows software around win7 and vista
Its all genuine stuff with original key even ! :)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Depending how u get on with the above it might be worth trying a wifi USB dongle. How about trying a direct ethernet wire into the router.
Had all sorts of problems with internal wifi after update on old laptop which turned out to be an unsupported device. No drivers available.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Depending how u get on with the above it might be worth trying a wifi USB dongle. How about trying a direct ethernet wire into the router.
Had all sorts of problems with internal wifi after update on old laptop which turned out to be an unsupported device. No drivers available.
As post one :)

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
Do you know how to carry out the Ping command?

if not in search type cmd - hit enter, in command field type ping then space and as an example bbc.co.uk

does it reach the server ok?

if so try a few other sites, at least it will confirm you have full connectivity and the issue is a local one.

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
Also to format the current OS, insert Win 7 install CD, at some point during early install it mentions saving existing files, from memory there is something like advanced setting button, if click this it allows you to format any drive, if you do this then cancel install it will format drives for you.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do you know how to carry out the Ping command?

if not in search type cmd - hit enter, in command field type ping then space and as an example bbc.co.uk

does it reach the server ok?

if so try a few other sites, at least it will confirm you have full connectivity and the issue is a local one.
As mentioned above :)
Also to format the current OS, insert Win 7 install CD, at some point during early install it mentions saving existing files, from memory there is something like advanced setting button, if click this it allows you to format any drive, if you do this then cancel install it will format drives for you.
This is the third clean install ( using two totally different disks )
I thought that too, not sure if the Win7 writes something in the boot strap but I still get the error of incompatibility if I then go on to try putting XP on
Gonna try Opera as per suggestions and if that fails put together a Linux boot stick and go from there
In fact just thinking about it, considering the cost of hard drives today I might just slap in 1TB one and start from scratch
ORRRR
Remove the drive, stick it in a caddy, dig out my OLD OLD Compaq lappy ( Dos5 and windows 3.1 from memory )
But that will present its own problems too........................ Little chance of the machine even 'seeing' a 500M drive ................

Its all interesting stuff and keeping me entertained LOL !!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
As mentioned above :)

This is the third clean install ( using two totally different disks )
I thought that too, not sure if the Win7 writes something in the boot strap but I still get the error of incompatibility if I then go on to try putting XP on
Gonna try Opera as per suggestions and if that fails put together a Linux boot stick and go from there
In fact just thinking about it, considering the cost of hard drives today I might just slap in 1TB one and start from scratch
ORRRR
Remove the drive, stick it in a caddy, dig out my OLD OLD Compaq lappy ( Dos5 and windows 3.1 from memory )
But that will present its own problems too........................ Little chance of the machine even 'seeing' a 500M drive ................

Its all interesting stuff and keeping me entertained LOL !!
If your looking for entertainment I will send you all of mine once you have worked it out of course :rofl:

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I managed to rebuild an older desktop back to windows XP (to run some old games that I couldnt get to run in XP mode on later operating systems). I bought a USB floppy disk drive to get this to work, some of the time I was connecting the drive to an up to date machine to download specific old drivers from the internet then swapping it over to the old machine to run the installation. I vaguely remember a stage when the machine just would not access the internet which was something to do with activiating Windows. The automatic activation servers have been switched off but there was a way of activating by phone whilst the machine is offline. If I can remember where I found the information on how to do this I will post a link

Would this help?

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
I cannot download a different browser on the machine and every download just wants to install to the machine it is downloading to :-(
All devices working ok and as above, it is connected to the interweb
Jaws as you say all working ok except the internet. This happened to me a long time ago after I rebuild my old computer and installed xp told you it was a long time ago.
The way I fixed it was to go to networks and it gave me the option to check the internet after it finished going through the connections I could use the internet.
Hope you get it sorted but if you cant and you can get a ping then it should be a simple fix meaning not to expensive to get it fixed it's hard to help you from a keyboard my advice is don't try to rebuild it again take it to a local guy for a quote.
Like I said if your getting a ping it's just a matter of configuration and that should not cost a lot good luck hope you get it sorted
John

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I am well aware of its obsolescence in the real world, but I have some unobtainium software that simply will not run on anything after win7 ( in compatible mode )
Most are amateur radio related and there are proly rehashed up to date versions available IF your willing to shell out a few dozen quidlets

I think your right about the service packs, but every site I have found wants to download and install on the machine doing the downloading !
Same goes for different browsers.. Opera, Firefox, Chrome.... all the same. I can't find an install that can be downloaded and saved
You’re like me, don’t like to give up!!

How about buying a new one and keeping your current PC for your amateur radio stuff? Not being computer literate have no idea if that is a feasible option?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back