I am considering a first ebike (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't by illegal ebikes that you see at shows and youtubers promote, when it says the are only to be used on private land that means land you own or have the permission to use them on. It's six points on your licence if you gey prosecuted.
A much bigger penalty for anyone who has a driving license than doesn't is that fair?

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
For what you want a cheapie from Decathlon would do they have ½ dozen or more at £700 including a few folders. Not going to be a fantastic bike but fine for your shopping trips.
I've just looked on the Decathlon site and they have cheap, electric single speed folders for £700-£900.
I've just rung Decathlon Cardiff and asked if I can test a bike and was told only in store as they don't let bikes out of the store.
I said I could leave ID such as my driving licence whilst I cycled around the car park for 5 minutes but the answer was still no.
The thing is as I've never had one before and haven't ridden for 40 years I don't know if I can actually peddle one without trying first.
I don't want to buy one to then find out I can't use it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've just looked on the Decathlon site and they have cheap, electric single speed folders for £700-£900.
I've just rung Decathlon Cardiff and asked if I can test a bike and was told only in store as they don't let bikes out of the store.
I said I could leave ID such as my driving licence whilst I cycled around the car park for 5 minutes but the answer was still no.
The thing is as I've never had one before and haven't ridden for 40 years I don't know if I can actually peddle one without trying first.
Try a different store it maybe local managers policy.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We bought ours in decathlon in France we had a ride around the store it was a big one! I wonder what their refund policy is if you decide it's not suitable.

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
We bought ours in decathlon in France we had a ride around the store it was a big one! I wonder what their refund policy is if you decide it's not suitable.
They told me if the bike was returned unused, unmarked and with no mileage on the clock then I would probably get a full refund.
I pointed out that as I need to try it out there will be some mileage on it to which I was told that I wouldn't get a full refund as it was used and they couldn't tell me how much the refund would be until they saw the condition/mileage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago, Malibu or
A much bigger penalty for anyone who has a driving license than doesn't is that fair?
It's the same penalty for both, illegal ebikes are classed as motor vehicles, so if you use them you have no tax or insurance or even a crash helmet, add the to the fact that there is one ebike caused house fire a week, I wouldn't want a couple of dodgy chinese ebikes in my garage

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Try a different store it maybe local managers policy.
I've just spoken to the next closest store to me and got the same answer.
I guess I'll have to try and find somewhere that will let me test ride before purchase if I can.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Defiantly illegal also they have always been illegal in a lot of other countries, Germany & Spain are a couple I think.
They aren't necessarily illegal. Wisper for example sell them, but each bike has to pass an inspection before it can be sold. There's more info on their website, here, which explains the legalities and the processes they have to follow to comply.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
They aren't necessarily illegal. Wisper for example sell them, but each bike has to pass an inspection before it can be sold. There's more info on their website, here, which explains the legalities and the processes they have to follow to comply.
Sounds like total BS, do you really think that if you order a bike from them they will submit it to DVSA for test like they say. Not only would it cost them a lot of money you would also be waiting months for it to be tested.
They are completely flaunting the law.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
A simple step through folder, with easy to moderate power assistance which is easy to charge, maintain and is comfortable to ride.

This is what the OP needed....some of the suggestions I read on here are what you want, or have...not the intended use of the OP..
A couple of miles on Tarmac....🥴👍😀
I completely agree. I use my e-bike for very similar requirements on the whole to the OP, and I have a folder. It has front suspension, and a rack and bag on the back. I can comfortably ride it across campsites with no on-site tarmac, as well as on roads, tracks and cycle paths. It is perfect for popping a few miles down the road to a local shops to pick up a few bits and pieces without having to pack up the van for a five minute drive. I got mine second hand, and have had it at least six years now. The only negative is the weight. It's quite heavy to get in and out of the van. But the counterpoint to that is that it is very solid and safe-feeling to ride. I've never had any issues with range for the distances I do!
I think something similar would be worth looking at by headlight . Freego no longer exist, but there are some very good 20" wheel folders available. If I needed to replace mine, I'd probably look at a Wisper 806, even though it doesn't have the front suspension. It has had excellent reviews over a number of years and is mid-priced so far as folding e-bikes go.

20180525-_DSC7261-lo_res.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I guess I'll have to try and find somewhere that will let me test ride before purchase if I can.
Decathlon stores are quite big could be fun :giggle: but you won't know what it's like on hills.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
E-Velo, the store where I bought my e-bike, wouldn't let me test ride outside either... said it was store policy, I asked why and said it was because the bike would get dirty and would have to be cleaned before it could be sold as new.. it would also have millage on the computer.. so not new. 🤷‍♂️ Perhaps this has happened in the past, so once bitten , twice shy.

but frankly wasn't bothered, I knew what bike I wanted and was happy just to inspect and test it for size in the store.

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I completely agree. I use my e-bike for very similar requirements on the whole to the OP, and I have a folder. It has front suspension, and a rack and bag on the back. I can comfortably ride it across campsites with no on-site tarmac, as well as on roads, tracks and cycle paths. It is perfect for popping a few miles down the road to a local shops to pick up a few bits and pieces without having to pack up the van for a five minute drive. I got mine second hand, and have had it at least six years now. The only negative is the weight. It's quite heavy to get in and out of the van. But the counterpoint to that is that it is very solid and safe-feeling to ride. I've never had any issues with range for the distances I do!
I think something similar would be worth looking at by headlight . Freego no longer exist, but there are some very good 20" wheel folders available. If I needed to replace mine, I'd probably look at a Wisper 806, even though it doesn't have the front suspension. It has had excellent reviews over a number of years and is mid-priced so far as folding e-bikes go.

View attachment 897478
Yes my usage would be very similar.
I've just googled Wisper 806 and they are £1,300 - £2,000 depending on where you buy, which TBH is more than I want to pay but again I would need to try first.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
the bike would get dirty and would have to be cleaned before it could be sold as new.. it would also have millage on the computer.. so not new.
Dealer can reset the computer, I tried quite a few bikes out up the steepest hill in Brighton as well as a good run on the flat.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
Dealer can reset the computer, I tried quite a few bikes out up the steepest hill in Brighton as well as a good run on the flat.
no doubt.. but that was the policy and it seems to be quite common, as the OP has discovered.

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
no doubt.. but that was the policy and it seems to be quite common, as the OP has discovered.
Yes and I'm not prepared to pay without trying first as if I can't get on with it they could knock several hundred pounds off the refund meaning a test ride has cost me hundreds.
I didn't realise this would be as difficult.
I've just rung another Cardiff bike shop and they also don't allow test rides.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Yes my usage would be very similar.
I've just googled Wisper 806 and they are £1,300 - £2,000 depending on where you buy, which TBH is more than I want to pay but again I would need to try first.

Have a look on e-bikes direct at their Basis Osprey. From £799.
Step through folder and only 20Kg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yes and I'm not prepared to pay without trying first as if I can't get on with it they could knock several hundred pounds off the refund meaning a test ride has cost me hundreds.
I didn't realise this would be as difficult.
I've just rung another Cardiff bike shop and they also don't allow test rides.
Where are you based and are you likely to be travelling around over the next month or so? I wonder if anyone would be willing to let you try out their bikes?

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I'm based in Cardiff.
It seems ridiculous to me, considering the cost, that retailers expect you to buy without trying first.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm based in Cardiff.
It seems ridiculous to me, considering the cost, that retailers expect you to buy without trying first.
Local bike shops are more likely to let you take a bike out... The one I go to regularly often has folk going on demo rides however I know that more and more shops are reluctant to let folk take bikes out as folk seem to use that opportunity to test ride bikes before buying them cheaper online... Some folk used to come into the bike shop and get measured up for bikes or clothes and not ever be seen again in the shop.... They used the shop as a trying on service and then bought the items off Wiggle or similar... It costs shops quite a lot to tidy / clean up after this kind of trial and is galling when they don't even make a sale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Local bike shops are more likely to let you take a bike out... The one I go to regularly often has folk going on demo rides however I know that more and more shops are reluctant to let folk take bikes out as folk seem to use that opportunity to test ride bikes before buying them cheaper online... Some folk used to come into the bike shop and get measured up for bikes or clothes and not ever be seen again in the shop.... They used the shop as a trying on service and then bought the items off Wiggle or similar... It costs shops quite a lot to tidy / clean up after this kind of trial and is galling when they don't even make a sale.
I've spoken to 5 shops, 4 in Cardiff, and none of them allow test rides.

Sep 5, 2017
Funster No
It's a Specialized Tero X5, very pleased with it, the Specialized motor has a much smother power delivery than the Bosch. It's only a 70 nm motor but I've been up some incredibly steep hills without any problems. It also a Mullet which makes it very maneuverable front wheel is 29", rear 27.5". Rims & tyres can be set up for tubeless.
Lenny, I’ve been thinking of one of these instead of the present Bafang front wheel motor bike ( which will soon be up for sale). Did you consider the Tero X6 as well, which seems more powerful but significantly more expensive?

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Interesting thread. Does anyone use the electric Brompton? Are they any good? They're obviously very expensive but it seems to me that they may be the smallest folder. Many of the bikes that I see advertised or talked about would be too large for my PVC garage.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Interesting thread. Does anyone use the electric Brompton? Are they any good? They're obviously very expensive but it seems to me that they may be the smallest folder. Many of the bikes that I see advertised or talked about would be too large for my PVC garage.
I know someone who does.... He likes his a lot.... He gave me his old electric folding shopper which I use and finds the Brompton much lighter and better made. The fold into a smaller space and are easier to manhandle in and out of his storage area.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I suggested Bristol previously but it looks like they have a store in Cardiff

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
2 Decathlon stores, 1 in Cardiff and one in Cheltenham (Decathlon Bristol Web site is down) Harris Cycles, The Bike Shed and The electric bike shop all Cardiff.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
2 Decathlon stores, 1 in Cardiff and one in Cheltenham (Decathlon Bristol Web site is down) Harris Cycles, The Bike Shed and The electric bike shop all Cardiff.
I would have thought all the supermarket type shops wouldn't allow it . Out the door never to be seen again surprised at the ebike shop as they are still advertising trials on their website. Maybe try bristol they maybe more accommodating
This is from their wesite
Screenshot_20240515_184315_Chrome.jpg

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What about checking out F/b marketplace this is in Cardiff even just to try it

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
What about checking out F/b marketplace this is in Cardiff even just to try it
It says it's in Pontypool and was listed 24 weeks ago ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back