May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
For example...

I took 3 photos (on my samsung phone) of a TV I was adding to the classifieds.

Then I add them to google drive.

Open google drive on my computer running windows 10 pro and select all 3 photos and hitting download.

Now all 3 photos automatically download in to a separate zip file so when I try to attach these pics to my classified ad the file size is too large.

I then have to delete the zip folder and download the images individually which is a pain.

So how do I unzip a folder or set it not to zip them together in the first place?

Hope this makes sense.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
What type of computer are you using? Macs and Windows machines should open the zip and you can see the photos there. On iPhones and Android machines you’ll need an app

Can you do this on a laptop?

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
If windows right-click on the zip file, and you will get option to unzip.

Tony68000

Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
If you look at the .zip file in your download folder, just right-click it and you should see an option to 'Extract all...'. This will create another folder with the same name as the zip file. Just go to that folder to see your individual files.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
If you look at the .zip file in your download folder, just right-click it and you should see an option to 'Extract all...'. This will create another folder with the same name as the zip file. Just go to that folder to see your individual files.
Ah so it's extract all that I need to choose? Thanks for that. Is there a way to tell it not to zip the files together in the first place?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
“Extract all” will do what it says. 👍🏻
After doing that task, in the location of the zipped file, there’ll be a folder with the same name of your pics in it.

When you download more than one pic, most photo hosting websites combine them into a zipped/compressed file for the download.
For only a few pictures, maybe you’ll find downloading one pic at a time more convenient for you. 👍🏻

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ah so it's extract all that I need to choose? Thanks for that. Is there a way to tell it not to zip the files together in the first place?
Probably not as zipping reduces the overall file size for downloading but I imagine there may be a way round it.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Probably not as zipping reduces the overall file size for downloading but I imagine there may be a way round it.
I haven’t looked at settings to override the websites’ defaults but individual downloading each picture could be easier than a combined file - for a few pics 👍🏻🤪

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
When you download lots of photos from Google Photos, it zips them all up. It doesn't make the download much smaller, but it does mean you're only saving one file rather than dozens. It's a limitation on how web browsers download files for security reasons. You can't select a folder and ask it to download dozens of files to that one location. So the workaround is to bundle them all in a zip.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Google Drive does not Zip files by default you must have turned it on. Go into setting & Manage Apps and disable it.
I think the OP meant photos.Google.com - though they did only mention Google drive so 🤷‍♂️🤪

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I might be thick here, well useualy am, but why can't you just take a photo and send it straight to the forum with your phone, why have you got to have a computer in-between.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I might be thick here, well useualy am, but why can't you just take a photo and send it straight to the forum with your phone, why have you got to have a computer in-between.
I find it ten times easier navigating forums on the computer. Especially if you are posting with pics etc.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Google Drive does not Zip files by default you must have turned it on. Go into setting & Manage Apps and disable it.
It's zipping them when I download to computer from google drive.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I find it ten times easier navigating forums on the computer. Especially if you are posting with pics etc.
Have you got the app on a smartphone? Because if you have it's absolutely simple, not used any form of computer/tablet for about 3 years.
I can put a photo up in about 10 seconds.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Have you got the app on a smartphone? Because if you have it's absolutely simple, not used any form of computer/tablet for about 3 years.
I can put a photo up in about 10 seconds.
It's not hard on a smartphone I just prefer to use a bigger screen and keyboard when I am posting on various forums, gumtree, ebay etc

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's not hard on a smartphone I just prefer to use a bigger screen and keyboard when I am posting on various forums, gumtree, ebay etc
So you are taking a photo with your phone sending it to your computer which is sending it to Google which you are going to download it again after Google has messed with it and made it so you can't upload it to here whereas you could have just took the photo and put it on here in ten seconds, and that is harder than your method. (y) :unsure:

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So you are taking a photo with your phone sending it to your computer which is sending it to Google which you are going to download it again after Google has messed with it and made it so you can't upload it to here whereas you could have just took the photo and put it on here in ten seconds, and that is harder than your method. (y) :unsure:
You seem annoyed?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back