How many cameras do you use (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Ansel Adams was an inspiration to me, especially with his Yosemite pictures. It was a real wow moment when I was actually standing on the valley floor looking up the sheer granite face of el Capitan.
Those ancient cameras were absolutely HUGE, not to mention that most of the plates were glass, so very heavy. Certainly he was into 'mindful photography' before it was ever a 'thing'.
I take two cameras to my professional shoots, plus the one on my phone, and I own at least three other cameras. And have been interested in mindful photography ever since I moved on from having 36 images available to me for an entire journey.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
On the other end of the spectrum… when my wife’s fairly expensive (too us) £500+ point and shoot camera developed a fault I asked my amateur photographer sister what camera we should buy to replace it. She knew Hilary had an iPhone 12 Pro and advised that this would meet our needs. I appreciate that this would not suit the more demanding photographer but is it true that mobile phone cameras have developed to a point where more serious photographers can forego their expensive equipment?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Spot on l am into wildlife photography and have a serious piece of kit £++ but l wouldn’t even consider using it for anything other than my passion, the iPhone is always at hand and is quite brilliant.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I own several cameras,a Canon, a Fuji and a rather nice Nikon. In practice the only one I regularly use is my phone. Samsung S10 with three rear cameras. The only camera which is good is the one that's with you at the time. The ones in a cupboard at home just can't compete.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
All I have now is an iPhone 12…….used to own Canon, then Olympus, then Nikon kit - all gone (and not missed, to be honest!).

Sep 17, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 2014
On the other end of the spectrum… when my wife’s fairly expensive (too us) £500+ point and shoot camera developed a fault I asked my amateur photographer sister what camera we should buy to replace it. She knew Hilary had an iPhone 12 Pro and advised that this would meet our needs. I appreciate that this would not suit the more demanding photographer but is it true that mobile phone cameras have developed to a point where more serious photographers can forego their expensive equipment?
It all depends on what you want to use it for. Phones are OK for landscape, street photography and selfies as such but no phone, no matter what make, will ever match a decent, bridge, DSLR or mirrorles camera, especially if your passion is wildlife (IMHO). On Flickr ,there are hundreds of IPHONE groups (see here:- https://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?text=iphone ) have a look at some of the photo's and you will see what I mean. The first rule of photography, for anyone though is...... you have to be there. :giggle:

Dec 7, 2009
Shropshire & Algarve
Funster No
MH
LP
Exp
2 yrs
It’s the mindset too - do you go out to take photographs, or do you take photographs when you go out……….?? :unsure: ;)
Aahh how wise are you, that fits me exactly. If I go out to take photographs I take my all singing all dancing Olympus.. if I am out and see something I unexpectedly want to snap I use my phone. ‘Cept this morning trudging with dog thru a foot of virgin snow I used iPhone. But the snow was so bright I couldn’t see cos of the reflection. And I wished I’d had the camera. In short - I’ve never got the right one at the right time in the right place.

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
Luddite here, if I go out to take photographs I use a medium format Hasselblad, but if I take photographs when I go out I usually have a 35mm Olympus XA tucked in my pocket.

Perhaps not a complete Luddite, I do have an iPhone.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Luddite here, if I go out to take photographs I use a medium format Hasselblad, but if I take photographs when I go out I usually have a 35mm Olympus XA tucked in my pocket.

Perhaps not a complete Luddite, I do have an iPhone.
Is that a film Blad ?

daveclare

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Nowadays it's a Motorola phone. For work 40 years ago, I started with a twin lens reflex Rolli, out at scenes. Sometimes a Bronica, or Hasselblad in the lab/studio. Even tried a 5x4 and 7x6 photographing with metal halide light sources of varying wavelengths.

I particularly like his photos taken from the same location throughout the seasons.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
It´s sad but I do the same, the Nikon (D7000) lives in my office and my go to camera for everything is my Samsung flip phone, it does well for scenic and personal pics, and so much easier to travel with......the Flip is easier to hold steady and stand on a flat surface than a standard phone.
Not an iPhone fan but that´s a different subject.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
How much does the 120/220 film cost nowadays, Threeracers ….? :unsure:

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Recently so
Yes, both are film Otter Spotter, I did say I was a Luddite!

Mark
I recently sold my last film camera a Bronica so now have just one body Canon R5 with 3 lenses so firmly in the digital age, but I hate sitting at my desktop processing 😜

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
I have just ordered some Kodak Portra 400 in 120 and it worked out about £13 a roll Andy. Develop and scan is approximately £10 on top of that. I am square format so I get 12 shots on a roll.

I used to develop my own B&W rolls at home Dave. Just the negatives using a dark bag as I didn’t have a dark room at home. I then used to sit down and scan the negatives but I didn’t do any post processing. Not knocking those that do but for me post processing takes it away from photography and more into digital art.

Now I live full time in the Bedford it all gets sent away for dev and scan.

Mark

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I'm now down to one camera with no changing lenses, carting stuff around got too much of a pain, so a bought a "cheap" point and shoot or bridge or mirrorless what ever it is. Pictures crisper than my inexpensive Canon kit. Lots of stuff to learn ( get wrong) for a point and shoot.
Sony RX10 iv 24-600mm zoom. One thing it is/isnt is cheap or pocketable. So far chuffed.
I lied, i also have a little collection of Kodak cameras from 1907 to 1955 folders 120,620 35mm Retina and Retinettes the odd Brownie and Instamatic (including the first made in Britain). I would like one of their SLRs but too rich for me. Now which one should i use for my sons wedding?

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
It’s the mindset too - do you go out to take photographs, or do you take photographs when you go out……….?? :unsure: ;)

Ain’t that the truth. We took a couple of reasonably high end compacts with us on our recent jaunt to Greece/Crete and back, and to be honest they remained in the glove box. The iPhone 12 camera is more than capable (and always ready) for those moments that just happen.

IMG_0069.jpeg

(Reduced to post from 10.1 to 1.5mb so not truly representative of what it’s capable of).

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
The Sony DSC HX60 V is a pocket camera with 30 x optical zoom, by using a smaller file size and with some digital zoom you can get 120 x.
It is a great camera GPS,WiFi and auto settings work well , with manual settings for the more adventurous.
This camera is old model now but 20megapixel.
I eBay bid on this one and got it for £130 ..loads of them available at higher price, don't pay loads ?!
Here's some hand held 30x zoom examples ..not very exciting subject, I quickly went outdoors and shot these off to show you.

DSC00680.jpg
DSC00674.jpg

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
These photo zoom examples were taken at Straford Avon MH Show on the older model camera DSC HX9V
The subject had changed inbetween photo taken but zoom definition is the same frame.

The van registration and bird poop are now clearly visible ... all hand held, no tripod.

STRATFORD_AVON_3a_ZOOM(1).jpg
STRATFORD_AVON_5_ZOOM(1).jpg
STRATFORD_AVON_3_ZOOM(1).jpg
STRATFORD_AVON_4_ZOOM(1).jpg
STRATFORD_AVON_6a_ZOOM(1).jpg
STRATFORD_AVON_6_ZOOM(1).jpg

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I don't see the point of black & white photography.

The pictures look totally drained of 'life'.

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Haha each to their own LesW ..I find bw is more shape and subject matter , where colours can distract - unless colour is the main interest e.g. flower show, costume festival.

But thankyou for taking the time to look and it's great to hear people's feedback.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I also like B&W but prefer to see more contrast in the images. IMHO, street scenes don't often work in B&W unless there's a clear object of attention.

I use my Samsung S10+ for most photos and Nikons for images requiring more details etc. I'm playing with a Panasonic S5 ii now....it is very advanced and I'm struggling to scratch the surface of some features.

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Yes everyone has a different approach to photography but my main reason for posting these photos is to show that a small compact camera zoom ... £130, with auto settings can zoom to do what phones cannot do with just as much detail and portability.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Only just found this thread.. some interesting photos and comments..

Like many, I have an iPhone 12 and it takes good images, as they say, the best camera is the one you have with you.. which it always is, but generally only take 'snaps' to record a trip or family day out.

For my hobby, I have a Fujifilm X100F which I love using , my passion being street photography , especially at night and shot in b/w ..

I find it one of the most demanding photography genres but very rewarding .. still learning and always will be,..

A young couple in deep conversation who didn't even notice me .. Honfleur 2022

DSCF2933.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back