How long will they be using the 9-speed autos on Fiats (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Peter Vaughan has said that they are phasing these out for motorhome manufacturers, at least as I understand it. I think there has been discussion on here about a newer (?inferior) 8 speed auto on the way. We may not be ready to buy until next year when we may buy new. Do people think they will still be selling the 9-speed auto on new vans then? I thought some of you good (and well informed) people might know.
Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The 8 speed auto will be fitted to Series 10 Ducato's, I think the Series 10 is already in production for vans but not heard of any used for any Motorhomes yet, they are normally 6 to 9 months behind vans.
So it will probably be in 2025 model Motorhomes from September this year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Saucer
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Very helpful folks. So it’s buy new this year or second hand next if want it

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
The 8 speed auto will be fitted to Series 10 Ducato's, I think the Series 10 is already in production for vans but not heard of any used for any Motorhomes yet, they are normally 6 to 9 months behind vans.
So it will probably be in 2025 model Motorhomes from September this year.
Lenny HB do we know which box manufacturer they are sourcing from?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Very helpful folks. So it’s buy new this year or second hand next if want it
It would appear so. The 9 Speed is sublime but if the 8 speed is as good as my Volvo 8 Speed it will be good. Having said that it's the highly regarded Japanese Aisin Box. Not sure who is making the 8 speed. It could well be ZF.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
It would appear so. The 9 Speed is sublime but if the 8 speed is as good as my Volvo 8 Speed it will be good. Having said that it's the highly regarded Japanese Aisin Box. Not sure who is making the 8 speed. It could well be ZF.
I have the 6 speed aisin and it’s good but not as smoother as the last 8 speed zf I had.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think it is being made by Chrysler at their South Carolina plant, same place as the 9 speed not sure if it is a ZF design but I think it is.
The fact that there's a change suggests to me that it's not ZF. The ZF 9 speed is continuing in other brands. Auto boxes are a great way to decrease the average emissions of your vehicle line. But the ZF is far too expensive for most delivery vans. Only motorhomers option it and we make up an insignificant minority of their sales. Which is why I think they've found an in-house option from one of the Stellantis brands.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
What I’ve read on here re Fiats and their gearboxes I’ll be steering clear. A manual causes me no issues
But we are not discussing a Fiat auto box - this is all about replacement for the ZF auto, which is definitely in a different league to the Fiat Comfortmatic box!

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2022
Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022
I think the new 8 speed is already available. Saw a YouTube clip of a new MH review last week and it quoted as having an 8 speed auto, just can't remember what video clip or which brand but was on a new Ducato. Think we are probably very lucky then to have the 9 speed, given the short window they have been available. Whatever the issues with the Fiat Comformatic box (never had one), I find the 9 speed fantastic to drive and we are pulling nearly 4000kg fully laden with just the 140hp multijet. It's been nearly 20 years since I bothered with a manual on a car; I certainly wouldn't consider a manual on a motorhome. For me, driving is all about being relaxed behind the wheel and only an automatic does that for me. Admittedly, that may say more about my driving style and state of mind than the advantage of an auto v manual!😀

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Living Van
Exp
I'm a newbie
Picked up our new auto Rapido Dreamer campervan in March. The dashboard shows what gear you are in and I noticed it only goes up to 8 so I must have the new 8 speed box. It is very smooth in operation and has enough kick down to deal with German Autobahns and the Audis with blacked out windows that slash past you.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Picked up our new auto Rapido Dreamer campervan in March. The dashboard shows what gear you are in and I noticed it only goes up to 8 so I must have the new 8 speed box. It is very smooth in operation and has enough kick down to deal with German Autobahns and the Audis with blacked out windows that slash past you.
You may not be going fast enough or have enough revs to go to 9th.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You may not be going fast enough or have enough revs to go to 9th.
The 9 speed is pretty shift happy. From what I've heard, it'll go to 9th at 50mph if you're coasting.

The 9 speed in the previous generation proudly said "9 SPEED" across the top of its gloss black gear knob... but I guess any change could just be styling.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think the new 8 speed is already available. Saw a YouTube clip of a new MH review last week and it quoted as having an 8 speed auto, just can't remember what video clip or which brand but was on a new Ducato. Think we are probably very lucky then to have the 9 speed, given the short window they have been available. Whatever the issues with the Fiat Comformatic box (never had one), I find the 9 speed fantastic to drive and we are pulling nearly 4000kg fully laden with just the 140hp multijet. It's been nearly 20 years since I bothered with a manual on a car; I certainly wouldn't consider a manual on a motorhome. For me, driving is all about being relaxed behind the wheel and only an automatic does that for me. Admittedly, that may say more about my driving style and state of mind than the advantage of an auto v manual!😀
I have a Honda CVR with an automatic gearbox and a Motorhome with the Comformatic which isn't a true Auto but an assisted manual, there is no comparison. I'm looking to get a true Automatic Motorhome but I'm not sure what make to go for.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I have a Honda CVR with an automatic gearbox and a Motorhome with the Comformatic which isn't a true Auto but an assisted manual, there is no comparison. I'm looking to get a true Automatic Motorhome but I'm not sure what make to go for.
The new 8 speed is confirmed to be a true torque converter automatic. We just don't yet know where the design comes from, if it's as smooth as the ZF9, or if it's reliable.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Titaniu
Exp
Since 2018
The fact that there's a change suggests to me that it's not ZF. The ZF 9 speed is continuing in other brands. Auto boxes are a great way to decrease the average emissions of your vehicle line. But the ZF is far too expensive for most delivery vans. Only motorhomers option it and we make up an insignificant minority of their sales. Which is why I think they've found an in-house option from one of the Stellantis brands.
I personally think the 8 or 9sp in itself is almost irrelevant, the difference in ratios will be minuscule but the ZF box is very proven and I’d be reluctant to invest the sort of money a new van would be with a predominantly car manufacturers untested box at 3-4 tonne usage. Just my opinion and no doubt many will disagree, I am an auto Moho user btw but 6sp Ford 170 and been an excellent and reliable almost 5 years now.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I personally think the 8 or 9sp in itself is almost irrelevant, the difference in ratios will be minuscule but the ZF box is very proven and I’d be reluctant to invest the sort of money a new van would be with a predominantly car manufacturers untested box at 3-4 tonne usage. Just my opinion and no doubt many will disagree, I am an auto Moho user btw but 6sp Ford 170 and been an excellent and reliable almost 5 years now.
I agree. The number of ratios doesn't really matter. Anything from 6 up is diminishing returns. It's more that ZF are good at gearboxes. The ZF 9HP is smooth, fast, intuitive and reliable. Any change is a concern, just because it's unlikely to be better. And being new, it may have teething troubles.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Out of interest I have the the 9G-Tronic in the E class Merc and from memory only ever see it in 9th gear once, probably on a German autobahn, certainly not in the UK. What's the criteria, i.e. speed/revs to get in 9th? I'll add that I only ever use it in comfort mode, would that make a difference to achieving 9th?

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2021
Framlingham, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 774
Exp
Since 2017
It’ll go into 9th in eco. I’m pretty sure it’s ZF. Had an Adria with comfortomatic, like having a geriatric Italian changing gear for you. The Adria 3.5t returned 21-22mog on a good day, our new 4.5t does 30mpg on the autoroutes at 60mph if not too hilly.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Out of interest I have the the 9G-Tronic in the E class Merc and from memory only ever see it in 9th gear once, probably on a German autobahn, certainly not in the UK. What's the criteria, i.e. speed/revs to get in 9th? I'll add that I only ever use it in comfort mode, would that make a difference to achieving 9th?
Mine won't go into 9th unless it is rolling at about 80mph on my e-class. My SL used to go in at anything from 55mp. Likewise for my GLE. I think it is something to do with the torque development. The e-class is lacking in a few horses!

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
It’ll go into 9th in eco. I’m pretty sure it’s ZF. Had an Adria with comfortomatic, like having a geriatric Italian changing gear for you. The Adria 3.5t returned 21-22mog on a good day, our new 4.5t does 30mpg on the autoroutes at 60mph if not too hilly.
Our dethleffs at 4.5t does about 25mpg on a 180hp Comformatic so maybe the higher output engine are more economic than the smaller ones with a heavier vehicle?

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
If it’s the same 9G gearbox as in the Sprinter motorhome chassis, it’s a ZF.

I went searching around mine and found the ZF badge on the top of the gearbox. It says it’s a ZF9HP48, which I think is the same as the one used in the Fiat Ducato.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

I’ll repost my reply to a similar query in another ‘9 speed auto’ thread:

If you have a 9-speed does it use the top 2 gears (use the manual override, can you get the rev reduction of the higher gears above 7? I tried this on a US van and it does stop at 7, can't access 8th, or 9th, gear).

Yes, can go all the way to 9th using the manual feature with mine.

I'd be interested to know what rpm you get in 7th, 8th, 9th at, say, 65mph, if anyone knows. No rush, just curious.

Had a chance to do this earlier today with a 100+ mile run up from Seville on the Autovia Ruta de La Plata (A-66). It’s a dual carriageway running over some quite hilly terrain, so gave the auto box a good work out with the cruise control on as it dropped into 6th on a few of the inclines.

This is a Ducato 2.2 160bhp and the CC was at a constant 95kph, so enough to keep ahead of the HGVs but still return decent economy. The ECO gear/throttle function was selected. Analogue dials but near enough to these figures:

6th gear 2500rpm
7th gear 2200rpm
8th gear 1800rpm
9th gear 1500rpm

The trip reading showed 33.6 mpg.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My newly arrived but as yet unregistered Malibu Van has “9 Speed” on the gear selector knob.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back