How high to locate a Poynting antenna please? (1 Viewer)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Ive progressed to having a poynting antenna to put on the roof of my van. On the attached photo you might spot the existing puck at the rear nearside of the rood with the hole for the cable just behind the skylight. As you can also see I've got aluminium roof rails and an awning permanently on the roof.
Putting the new antenna in roughly the same area lets me reuse the drilled hole in the van roof for the cabling and drops down to a location for the router where I have already got power available.

So my question is about best location to maximise effectiveness of the antenna:

can I mount the antenna flush to the roof between the skylight and awning (part of the antenna will be above the height of the awning but not all).
or
do I need to raise the antenna so the base is above the awning casing to get the best signal?

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 61
  • antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 62
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Radio is a dark art. I've played with 4G and 5G stuff for work with signal analysers. In an ideal situation, you'd prevent it from being blocked by big metal things. But reality is far too messy. I've been in situations where we got a better signal while the cherry picker was sitting in-front of the device than when it had a clear view in the direction of the mobile tower. Length of the antenna wires to your device is also very important. Put it wherever is convenient and don't stress too much about what's on the roof.

Reactions: dna

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Perfect place would be on top if the blue Kayak. :rofl:

Best to mount it in a much free space as possible. You don't want to tuck it up behind the awning.
Best place would be centre of the roof at the front, 2nd best centre of the roof at the rear.

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Thanks Lenny HB . Unfortunately the Kayak is not mine so I would rather not put it there! :LOL: I thought it might be a better option to go in the centreline of the roof. I will report back once I get chance to do the installation

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks Lenny HB . Unfortunately the Kayak is not mine so I would rather not put it there! :LOL: I thought it might be a better option to go in the centreline of the roof. I will report back once I get chance to do the installation
The other thing Lenny HB usually mentions on MIMO threads is the length of the cable run from the aerial to the mifi \ wifi unit. Might be worthwhile factoring into your thoughts?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Best place would be centre of the roof at the front, 2nd best centre of the roof at the rear.
Agreed, having seen what space is available. (y)

I went middle for diddle to stay clear of obstacles, but without having to add cable extensions.

20210824_145459.jpg

Re cable length, the standard cables which come attached to the MiMo antenna are a decent length and diameter, to prevent signal loss.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Agreed, having seen what space is available. (y)

I went middle for diddle to stay clear of obstacles, but without having to add cable extensions.

View attachment 617147

Re cable length, the standard cables which come attached to the MiMo antenna are a decent length and diameter, to prevent signal loss.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
But are you sure the stuff in the green/white squirty thing is the right stuff for roof cleaning :eek:?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
But are you sure the stuff in the green/white squirty thing is the right stuff for roof cleaning :eek:?
:LOL: Not enough room to write Shampoo, so S/Poo it is. ;)
Judging by the state of the roof on many MHs, even spraying poo would still make an improvement. :rofl:

The other bottle I use (not shown) says TFR, ie, Traffic Film Remover.

Getting back on topic, even the MiMo antenna gets a clean and polish, to prevent oxidising of the plastic housing. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Last edited:
May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Put mine on N/S of roof to keep cable run short and use existing cable entry. Works really well paired to Teltonika RUT240.
IMG_20220422_105348490_HDR~2.jpg

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I'd run the cable up the inside of the awning and go for front centre of the roof. The higher and less obstructed the better. Pretty sure that model has an internal ground plane so doesn't need to be bolted down to the metal.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Having sold our previous MH complete with the Motorhome 4G kit including the Huwawei

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Sorry pushed the send button before completing my response. Tried editing but clearly that’s not worked

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back