Hot water how long ?? (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
re pressuring my system for spring ,,,,water flowing well, got the Truma heater on hot air for heating is nice and warm but hot water is tepid , how long should it take to get really hot coming out taps and shower ???

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If it's the Truma combi boiler and you have it on blown air heating, it'll take a while to heat the water.
About an hour to get fully hot water I'd say.
Or you can switch it to hot water and it'll be hot in 20-30 minutes

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If the heating is working hard the hot water may never get properly hot, especially if you are using the electric mode which is only 1800W. Heating and hot water share the same chamber in the boiler and so the hot air blower can suck the heat out of the hot water. If you use gas you stand a much better chance of the heating reaching the temperature you have set. When it does the boiler can then work on getting the water hot. If you have a panel controller instead of the 2 knobs you can use boost, this shuts off the blown warm air giving priority to hot water. We use boost in the mornings so that we can shower.

Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Waste of gas to get it scalding hot, to then add cold to be able to shower.
There are only two basic settings ECO & HOT.
Eco heats to 40° but the thermostat has a large hysteris and doesn't cut back in until it's dropped to 27°, which makes it pretty useless.
HOT heats to 60° and maintains temrature.

There is a third setting BOOST it heats to 62° then turns off. If the heating is on it turns the heating off until the water is up to temperature.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
I have a 6E.
If you have the heating on (Truma call this Winter Mode) then, without turning on the hot water, the water will heat up to about the same as the Eco hot water setting i.e. 40 degrees. Much quicker on gas, but still about an hour. Then putting the hot water on Boost for about 20 mins gets the water really hot but, as Lenny says, this puts the heating off while the water heats, but the heating will resume when the water is hot.
In Summer Mode ( when no heating is on ) then I find Eco is generally hot enough for a quick shower. Hot is used if Russell's Mum is washing her hair as hotter water is needed so that more hot water is available through the mixer tap.

Heating water only to Hot on electricity, even on Elec 2 setting, can take well over an hour. Elec 1 will eventually heat the water, but I only use that if I'm out for the day and want hot water on my return. Gas only takes about half an hour. Having both Heating and Hot water on simultaneously doubles the time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A trick I do on cold mornings is to set the timer to come on 45 min before we want to get up, heating set to temp we like normally 18 and the hot water on boost.
Then the heater will turn on and heat the water & when up to temperature after about 40 min the heating turns on, with the heating on although the water heating has turned off the water maintains its temperature.
So we can get up to a warm van and have hot water for a shower.

This is running on gas as we have never had a Truma with electric.
Don't believe anyone who says water gets up to temperature in 20 min that's Truma's BS, it takes 40 min, god knows how long it would take on electric. You could work it out 1800 watts compared to 6000 on gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not if you like a longer shower before water gets too cold..
10ltrs at body temp =10ltrs to shower...
10ltrs at (ouch that's feckn hot) plus cold to get too body temp = 10ltrs plus more cold water to shower for longer.👍

Longer showers banned on our MH, and previously on my boat!

Never run out of gas or water in either in 36 years, which includes a lot of time in Greek islands in boat and MH, where neither are easy to come by.

May 19, 2018
Funster No
Our water heater easily gets hot water up to temperature, slightly hotter than you want on your hands, in less than 20 minutes - when on hookup. I don't believe we have a 12v water heater, just gas which can take a while but usually less than an hour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back