Hire RV trip in Croatia - hire or buy pushbikes or scooter?? (1 Viewer)

May 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
We’ve got our RV hire booked for the month of September - never been there before so looking forward to it. We’d like to stay a 2-3 days at each stop and do some day tripping/exploring from there. The RV we hired has a bike rack on the back as well as a garage that might be large enough to fit a small scooter.

We’re actually picking up the RV outside of Venice near the Croatian border. I’ve done a bit of google searching for bicycle and scooter hire places and haven’t found much. Might also consider just buying used.

Wondering whether anyone here has any advice or experience with hiring (or buying) pushbikes or a scooter to use on a trip like this. TIA for any ideas.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I take an ebike and carry it on the rack at the back. It can be hard work in the heat on a non ebike unless you're super fit. It might be worth buying bikes for the trip ?
There is a chain of stores by the name of Decathlon and they have a couple of sites in Venice. They sell good value bikes amongst lots of other stuff.
Alternatively, you could hire bikes at each destination, I think most of the larger campsites have bike hire.
How long is your trip ?
I think carrying a scooter might be difficult on a hire van unless the hirer can organize it for you.
Good luck

Last edited:

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We just left Croatia yesterday and headed back into Slovenia, and whilst I'm a cyclist, I never missed not bringing one in Croatia.

We came down from Zagreb to Senj and stopped on the seafront, so an easy walk into town, then headed South to Zadar, walked into Zadar from the campsite, that was a good walk, and after walking around Zadar for the day should have perhaps got public transport or a taxi back, 30k steps wore us out!
Then down to Split, and this time used the bus into Split from right outside the site and the the local town of Stobreč is a lovely walk along the seafront.
On the way back up, stopped on a massive resort on Pag, and they actually had free rental bikes, I had just got a delivery of 10 ebikes, and yes, could have liked to maybe cycle around there, but just relaxed instead, then one last night at Krk, again, a easy 8 minute walk into town, so no need for bikes.

The only place so far that I'd say I'd have like to have a bike was Lake Bled, but everywhere else, we've walked easily.

Don't forget, you'll need a vignette to cross through Slovenia to get to Croatia, and wait until Croatia as its cheaper down there

Screenshot_20240512_082553.jpg

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry, my post was meant to say

Don't forget, you'll need a vignette to cross through Slovenia to get to Croatia, and wait until Croatia to fuel up as its cheaper down there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
A hire van won't have the necessary stuff for securing it in the garage, it may not be able to take the weight and height could be an issue too so I think that's a no go. Bikes will be the best bet as it does have a rack.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I didn’t find it a nice place to cycle in some areas. It’s not like France/spain were they leave the 1 mtr gap. Buses and trucks got worryingly close n I’m not a nervous cyclist.
I may have just been unlucky in my choices.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Definately worth investing in an ACSI card, it gives discounts on campsite fees out of peak season which is mostly July and August although most sites seem to set their own off season dates so they do vary a bit.

OP
OP
T
May 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Thanks, all, for sharing tips, advice, experiences. The good news is that the garage in this RV is rated for 150kg and has movable tie-down points near the floor, so a small scooter is doable. And there’s also a bike rack for two bikes, although that could present a security risk depending on where we are.

As far as hiring or buying bikes or a scooter, we may just need to figure it out once we get over there. It looks like scooter rental places are dotted around the city and coastal areas, charging around EUR26 per day. Our rental is for 30 days. Assuming a long-term hire discount is offered, we’d still be looking at over EUR500 to rent a scooter for the duration of our trip, at which point I could probably pick up a used one in Zagreb - I’ve seen some at that price on FaceBook Marketplace. Or maybe I could make a buy-back deal with a dealer that has used ones. Dunno - we’ll see.

Would be great to get connected to a “fixer” over there who speaks the language and knows their way around in terms of solving a problem like this. I know if someone was coming over here from overseas and had a similar question I’d be able to point them to specific resources that would be a perfect fit for them.

It’d be great if I could find someone like that over there.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you are talking about a motorised scooter and you buy one, would you be able to insure and road tax it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Would be great to get connected to a “fixer” over there who speaks the language and knows their way around in terms of solving a problem like this. I know if someone was coming over here from overseas and had a similar question I’d be able to point them to specific resources that would be a perfect fit for them.
I suspect most on this site are not fluent in Italian or Croatian, unfortunately the UK education system is pretty poor in terms of foreign language, especially for those in education in the 50's 60's 70's etc as most on this site will have been. A bit of French and German was my limit.
The good news is I think you will find English spoken widely in tourist areas campsites and hire shops etc.

In Las Vegas I once needed an interpreter for a conversation I had with a USA girl serving in Starbucks :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back