High Number of Motorhomes in Scotland (2 Viewers)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
How fantastic……. Lots of people moaning about the amount of moho’s in Scotland and/ or following the NC 500..

I wonder of those moaning, how many are English on a trip…:unsure: How inconvenient to have people taking advantage of free/ wild camping in their own country…..:LOL:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Whoever wrote the wording for the sign was not very well-versed in the terminology used by DVLA.

'Motorhome' is not used by them.

On a V5C there is D.5 Body type, where could be inserted 'MOTOR CARAVAN' or 'VAN WITH WINDOWS'

At paragraph J Vehicle category is where, if at all, one would find 'M' or 'N', but many people have reported that this paragraph is often left empty by DVLA, together with many other paragraphs. [It was on my V5C]

Therefore even if the driver were present when asked to prove the vehicle's category and had the V5C with him, any owner of a genuine MH could not show the wording 'Cat M Motorhome', as per the sign.

However, an ignorant and/or officious attendant might point to the word 'Caravan' and allege that the vehicle is banned.

The sign also begs the question as to what the attendant does in absence of seeing the V5C. Will they be trained to make assessments of Vehicle categories and 'Body type'? DVLA have enough trouble getting these right, so what hope is there of a Parking Attendant doing so?

I assume all vans before conversion are given Category 'N' but even if the converted van were classified as 'Van with windows' I would think that with furniture inside it would no longer be capable of carrying goods so its 'Vehicle category' should be changed from 'N' to 'M'

Yet another Council creating a minefield.

Having just applied for a Crit Air sticker, (and without any other knowledge) I found out our 'van has the 'M' category.

All it says in the space is........M

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How inconvenient to have people taking advantage of free/ wild camping in their own country…..:LOL:or motorised vehicles
there is no such thing as "free wild camping" for motorhomes or any other motorised vehicle..

the law on off site camping for motorhomes in Scotland is the same as it is for England and Wales

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
We have been touring western Scotland as far north as Mallaig, including Arran and Mull. I’m surprised how busy it is. Campsites mostly full and very difficult to get a ferry. Our original plan was to go to Harris but couldn’t get a ferry from Skye Lots of motorhomes and even more camper vans.
I love Scotland but it is putting me off a bit.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
We have been touring western Scotland as far north as Mallaig, including Arran and Mull. I’m surprised how busy it is. Campsites mostly full and very difficult to get a ferry. Our original plan was to go to Harris but couldn’t get a ferry from Skye Lots of motorhomes and even more camper vans.
I love Scotland but it is putting me off a bit.
We are up near Lairg on a campsite and there has been 2 of us on here for that last couple of days..a pop top has just pulled in so that’s 3 now😲 Went for a drive to the club site at Grummore, Altnaharra and there was only a handful of vans on there too. Motorhome/van traffic has been quiet in this area compared to years past in our experience. 🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
Funny thing those DVLA vehicle categories.....I have a Elddis (a newish one that comes under Messrs Hymer's wing) coach built motorhome that is registered on the V5 as a motor caravan however under the vehicle category ......its left blank!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Local see very little benefit from it.

Tell that to the 15% (or thereabouts) of the local population who derive their income from tourism. Tell that also to the local employees of the less obvious retail outlets (yes some of those organisations are national) such as fuel stations, supermarkets, etc.

Surely PVC types vans can park their?

Yes, but do they need to when a normal car parking space would suffice?🤷‍♂️

Ian

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Tell that to the 15% (or thereabouts) of the local population who derive their income from tourism. Tell that also to the local employees of the less obvious retail outlets (yes some of those organisations are national) such as fuel stations, supermarkets, etc.

Yes, but do they need to when a normal car parking space would suffice?🤷‍♂️

Ian
Well at 6.4m we dont comfortably fit in a car bay.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Well at 6.4m we dont comfortably fit in a car bay.

If you don't fit you don't fit.

If it’s not too personal a question, do you have an uncomfortably large protrusion?

Ian 😎

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A standard car park space is 5 metres long , anything bigger than a vw camper doesn't fit unless there's a grass verge or something behind it to put any overhang .

But still £10 for a carpark in Girvan that would otherwise be empty overnight.

Nah I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
How do you make money from a road route?

That's normal prices. In fact coffee is getting common at £4 in London or other popular places.
Surely it is the case someone owns the name/trademark NC500 .
They have no claim/rights to anything else

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
How does the NC500 company make it's money ?

One thing that really does piss me off are the coffee shop/cafes. Prices change in the tourist months and how they have the neck to charge over £3 for a cup of tea and over £3.50 for a coffee is beyond me.

I've been out today for a blast on the bike. over to Ullapool and it's very busy, few mohos but no more than usual.
Seriously?

Don't think of it as a Tourist Tax, instead think of it as a Locals out of season discount.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back