1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Help, Garmin update.

Discussion in 'TECH/MECH GENERAL' started by Bailey58, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster

Downloading the latest Garmin maps I'm told I "haven't got enough space do I want to use a macro SD card?"

Does the update overwrite the existing setup or is it adding the entire new mapping as well? I don't particularly want to run the satnav with a card sticking out the side so can I delete the old mapping before updating if this is the case?
  2. hdvrod

hdvrod Funster

On my Garmin Zumo 660 (same as Nuvo but waterproof) you need a mini sd card,this card sits in the side of the battery compartment,you need to remove the battery to see where it goes.If you dont have one you will probably need sd card adaptor as well.I use an 8gb mini sd card.I have the garmin lifetime updates and takes about 20 mins to upload the new European maps.Any other questions just ask:Smile:
  3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My last TomTom update was too big for the internal memory so I have put it on an SD card (32Gb) so now have bags of room so have put on all Europe, instead of just Western Europe, and some more POIs and still tons of space left.
    The internal memory is only 2Gb so bound to run out sooner or later as the maps are becoming more detailed.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

hi when we did the garmin up date it came up telling us it would take 17,800 hours. as it happens it took all weekend. cheers ivory55
  5. golly

golly Funster

I had this problem when I first updated mine, put a sd card in but couldn't get it to load onto there. I eventually went in and deleted files I wasn't going to use like help files in other languages, but you need to be sure you don't delete anything you need in the future. I think I Googled the problem and got some info that way. Since the initial update I have had no further problem.
  6. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster

Thanks for the responses. I've ordered a 8gb mini sd card which comes with an adaptor. Annoying thing is it told me 13 hours to download initially which dropped to about 3 but it doesn't do the maps til last so don't get the "full" message until it's too late. I'll start again when I get the card. :Doh:

Edit: Oh and I thought the card went in that tiny slot in the side, what's that for then?
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

These updates do take a long time, so do them at home if you can. My TomTom one took over an hour and I have fibreoptic internet.
  8. hdvrod

hdvrod Funster

I have about 7mb speed and the full update took between 20mins to 1/2 hour.
  9. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Glad I saw your post, you may be able to help.
    I have a TomTom and as I try to update it is telling me the SD Card is full.
    Can I use an ordinary SD Card or has it to be purchased as a special from TomTom/
    Thanks,
    Wilf
  10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Mine was an ordinary one, originally bought to use in a camera. I'm sure if TomTom sell you one it will cost a lot more. Get at least 4Gb capacity which will be quite cheap. Your TomTom is probably a different model to mine so it possibly might not work. Mine is a Go730.
  11. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Many thanks.
    What is the best may to transfer all the data from the existing card? Through the computer or direct from my Tom Tom account.
    Wilf
  12. hdvrod

hdvrod Funster

Is the current data on a card,stuff like favourites etc as far as I am aware will be in the units memory,when I updated mine I cleared the history from mini sd memory,but all my other stuff was still there.
  13. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

All that's on the card is Tom Tom data, I have no other items stored. I will give it a go and see if it will copy from my backup on the computer. As you say it may not. Mine is a built in unit (Renault 2011) so may not like to be copied.
    Will let you know, many thanks.
    Wilf
  14. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Many, many thanks. I have managed to copy everything accross to a larger SD card.
    I probably would't have tried if it wasn't for your post.
    As a matter of interest I manufactured and fitted all the graphics to your motorhome range based on the Mercedes, the good days. If you ever need any text let me know, I don't have any of the stripes now but names I can still manufacture.
    Wilf
  15. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Funster

Garmin support

Garmin have an excellent product support line (It is Free) on 0808 238 0000

Mike
  16. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

Delete all the foreign languages that you don't want, will give you sheds loads of space.
  17. hdvrod

hdvrod Funster

Glad you got it sorted out can be a bit daunting all this computer stuff:Smile:
  18. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Download the complete mapset to your computer, once that is done make a backup copy of the Garmin. As your are putting all the maps onto an SDHC card, you do not want any mapsets on your Garmin. To avoid this situation, connect your Garmin to your computer and search for GMAPPROM.IMG and GMAPSUPP.IMG (if you have one). If you find any, these filesshould be deleted. You do not need to delete any other files (apart from voices if you want more room on your Garmin).

Note: You may decide to split your maps between the card and the Garmin. If you are doing this, keep the GMAPSUPP.IMG file on your Garmin but keep track of which countries are on the Garmin. Remember to subtract those map segments from your card if they are on the Garmin (use the “Ctrl” key to de-select the map segments in MapInstall). If you do split your maps, remember to change your destination in MapInstall. That is, in one case, the device will be the Garmin and in the other, the device will be the card. Again, duplicate coverage will create problems.

Information provided from Garmin Zumo forums.

HTH
    Steve
  19. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster

I'll have a look at it again when I get the card. :thumb:
  20. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

1 person likes this.