Heads up for those with an RWG sim - there are outages in the UK at present (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
Can anyone explain the benefits of the global sim over the standard sim, in simple language 😀
My understanding is that the global sim will allow you to connect to any (or perhaps a fixed list of) provider(s) in other countries.

If you don't have the global sim but use EE/Orange as your selected provider then it will work in the UK and France as EE is a French company and provides French coverage. But when you get to another country where EE doesn't operate you are going to have issues.

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
My understanding is that the global sim will allow you to connect to any (or perhaps a fixed list of) provider(s) in other countries.

If you don't have the global sim but use EE/Orange as your selected provider then it will work in the UK and France as EE is a French company and provides French coverage. But when you get to another country where EE doesn't operate you are going to have issues.
Thanks ...I picked Vodafone hope that works the same..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
hi ,,do you have a data only sim or both ,,? i just emailed them and they said if I'm getting a data only sim i need a global sim ..?
No I just use a RWG 200gb phone sim in my route and that worked well in France and a Smarty 12 gb sim in my phone which also worked well in France.

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
No I just use a RWG 200gb phone sim in my route and that worked well in France and a Smarty 12 gb sim in my phone which also worked well in France.
Thanks they have just said that if have a data only sim I need a global to work in France..? Don't understand this..?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks they have just said that if have a data only sim I need a global to work in France..? Don't understand this..?
No I don’t, can’t see a reason to pay the extra £8 when the phone sim works, well it did for me.
I found in general the signal was better than you get in small out of the way place in uk, even in some very remote villages.

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
No I don’t, can’t see a reason to pay the extra £8 when the phone sim works, well it did for me.
I found in general the signal was better than you get in small out of the way place in uk, even in some very remote villages.
thanks ,tried to call them (cant take my call ) i paid £18 ,,think it was only £2 extra for the calls and text one ,,but as its for a router didn't think i need the calls ,,

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks ,tried to call them (cant take my call ) i paid £18 ,,think it was only £2 extra for the calls and text one ,,but as its for a router didn't think i need the calls ,,
I payed £20

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
The way I un
Can anyone explain the benefits of the global sim over the standard sim, in simple language 😀
The way I understand it is, it will connect to the strongest network as the normal sim will only connect to certain ones.

I have literally received this 10 mins ago
Hi Mike,
Thanks for getting back to us. The new SIM will allow the same services and won't have a shelf life so you can extend your bundle with that SIM should you wish.
We will ask the network to extend the term of your current SIM to 3rd June and we will send the new SIM to your home address.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Blimey this is getting sooo confusing. At one time a data sim was a data sim, now it seems there are different types ?
I can't believe the EE non global will stop working outside UK and France ?

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
Blimey this is getting sooo confusing. At one time a data sim was a data sim, now it seems there are different types ?
I can't believe the EE non global will stop working outside UK and France ?
I will try to post what they said

Screenshot_20230525_154907_Gmail.jpg

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
The global sim is purely a data sim and not phone/data so you can’t make calls or sms but there is NO speed ‘shaping’ so in essence you get priority speed, apparently 🤔

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
The global sim is purely a data sim and not phone/data so you can’t make calls or sms but there is NO speed ‘shaping’ so in essence you get priority speed, apparently 🤔

That’s been my experience with the Global SIM. I don’t now bother trying different manual connections as the auto selection is invariably good - currently on Vodafone GR iONLINE here in southeast Crete. I’m also receiving and making calls on my iPhone on the wifi connection to the Teltonika router, and it’s not via WhatsApp, so I’m not quite sure how that’s happening but it is.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
That’s been my experience with the Global SIM. I don’t now bother trying different manual connections as the auto selection is invariably good - currently on Vodafone GR iONLINE here in southeast Crete. I’m also receiving and making calls on my iPhone on the wifi connection to the Teltonika router, and it’s not via WhatsApp, so I’m not quite sure how that’s happening but it is.
WiFi calling. It's an advanced feature of 4G I think. Not every network and device supports it though.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
WiFi calling. It's an advanced feature of 4G I think. Not every network and device supports it though.

That explains it then. This is an iPhone 12 Pro Max and would it be that the iONLINE Global SIM is the supporting factor or the networks it connects to - Vodafone, EE, etc.?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
All I can say is my RWG 200gb for £20 phone sim worked well in France , good job as I was wanting to stream tv which it need.
As for the Global data only , Two on Tour rang me on his.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back