Hayling island (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
Hi I was hoping to overnight on Hayling Island after a visit to Southdowns but it seems the beachfront carparks have been taken over by the council who are fining motorhome owners £200 for overnight camping. the marina, pubs and restaurants no longer welc motorhomes any suggestions

Deleted User
Not exactly what you asked but this spot is free, phone the security office when you get there and book your van in.
Dropped pin
<Broken link removed>

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Quick look on search for sites shows quite a few CL and sites there.
20220525_074547.jpg

OP
OP
Walkingmox
May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
As has been said before the CL sites are uninspiring for a night away and thanks sillious sodus my iPhone google maps won’t open your link. Probably because I don’t use google maps very often preferring maps me
After our visit to Southdowns we’ll go home as the weather is closing in and Hayling Island restaurants don’t deserve our money

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought the car parks had always been run by the council, they stopped allowing overnighting a few years ago after the campsites complained.

OP
OP
Walkingmox
May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
Yes I looked at that but I didn’t really want to be on the creek as it can get smelly when the tides out but it looks good. I’m waiting for my Britstops book. I’ve never needed it before had hoped to stay on the marina and eat at the Drift a nice James said yes for a small fee but then higher management said a resounding NO. their loss

OP
OP
Walkingmox
May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
The Inn on the Beach said that their carpark had recently been taken over by the council as it was private but it depends who you talk to. John’s Café has a private carpark but a bit pricey at £30 for 1 night but a kind offer anyway

OP
OP
Walkingmox
May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
Last update we did go to Hayling island and parked for lunch in the council carpark just beyond the Ferry boat Inn paying £2.90 for 2 hours. Had we parked in the carpark by the Inn managed by Havant Council we could have used a voucher given to us after our £35 meal to reclaim the £3 they charge. When we returned to our motorhome we had been served a penalty fine of £50 for not displaying the parking ticket on the front windscreen. It was displayed prominently on the side windscreen with the continental parking clock which has served us well for 10 years. An A class has such a wide dashboard that a warden once told us not to put it there. It makes John’s Café overnight offer of £30 in the adjacent tiny carpark seem cheap.
All the beachfront carparks were virtually empty yesterday including the one we used and I counted 2 other motorhomes. So we spent £123 on fuel £35 on lunch and as a Thankyou we were given a fine of £50. I won’t be returning to Hayling Island in a hurry but maybe they don’t want us
The manageress of the Inn told us that the council now manages their carpark as they had problems when motorhomes did wheelies round the carpark when drunk at night! I wish!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I think you are allowed to park overnight in Southsea and that’s on the seafront, alternatively Port Solent is not to bad, free parking and they have a choice of restaurant.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Last update we did go to Hayling island and parked for lunch in the council carpark just beyond the Ferry boat Inn paying £2.90 for 2 hours. Had we parked in the carpark by the Inn managed by Havant Council we could have used a voucher given to us after our £35 meal to reclaim the £3 they charge. When we returned to our motorhome we had been served a penalty fine of £50 for not displaying the parking ticket on the front windscreen. It was displayed prominently on the side windscreen with the continental parking clock which has served us well for 10 years. An A class has such a wide dashboard that a warden once told us not to put it there. It makes John’s Café overnight offer of £30 in the adjacent tiny carpark seem cheap.
All the beachfront carparks were virtually empty yesterday including the one we used and I counted 2 other motorhomes. So we spent £123 on fuel £35 on lunch and as a Thankyou we were given a fine of £50. I won’t be returning to Hayling Island in a hurry but maybe they don’t want us
The manageress of the Inn told us that the council now manages their carpark as they had problems when motorhomes did wheelies round the carpark when drunk at night! I wish!
I would protest the ticket saying it was displayed and take photo and explain the A class situation. Maybe a site or CL would have been a better option?

OP
OP
Walkingmox
May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
It makes me sad and frustrated to see all those empty carparks at night. We counted at least 40 empty tables outside the Ferry boat Inn yesterday. I can understand weekends in summer.
Keyhaven is another place with motorhomes parked along Saltgrass Lane no doubt with the fields being well watered when there is an empty carpark with toilets opposite the Gun Inn Just perfect as an Aire

OP
OP
Walkingmox
May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
I shall politely protest the ticket today photos taken. It’s such an unnecessary hassle. Southsea looked good across the water maybe they are not Havant Council. The CLs are not near the seafront lots of huge carparks are though

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014

We used to use the Hayling Island beachfront car parks for a half day visit for the last six years. The reason they are now empty of mhs is because they now charge £15 (for any length of daily stay) if you have a vehicle which can be slept in. I loved being able to park up right by the sea, would only do that now if we can stay all day.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Had a run in with the parking attendant about this as we go over probably 2-3 days a month if it’s a nice day.
Knew about the few changes but played dumb when she challenged me, I then said what is there justification for this charge and she said it was for the upkeep of the car park as motorhomes are doing more damage.
After I stopped laughing at her I asked where the improvements were as I’ve been coming over Hayling for best part of 30+ years and never seen any improvements😁😁
Just another way to try and get campers into the registered sites on the island they no doubt someone invoked in the council own.
We will not go over now for half days in the winter like before to walk the dogs but head to southsea.
We still go over for full days but as I normally take mum she has a disability badge so they won’t get a penny from us.

OP
OP
Walkingmox
May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
I have appealed but there was no mention of price only that they said it wasn’t displayed which it was. However as they saw the vehicle at 14.25 and issued the PCN at 14.26 I can’t see how they really looked or waited the legal requirement of 10 minutes
I don’t know about £15 for 2 hours no one has mentioned that…..yet

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back