Harwich , Hook of Holland (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
Can anyone recommend somewhere for an overnight stay near Harwich ( before ferry) and within an hour or so of the Hook of Holland at the other end? We were thinking about visiting Delft the following day.
thanks

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Looking on the Search for Sites app there’s a couple of sites in the area and a roadside stop on the estuary. I havnt stayed myself but the reviews seem ok.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Official parking at the Hook about 5 minutes from the port....check out Park4night for location....

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
If you are a caravan and motorhome club member there are loads of CLs. We stayed on one and walked to a very good CAMRA pub. The site was as above, Brookcroft and the pub was called The Maybush which I highly recommend if you like real ale!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Loads of overnight areas around Harwich from the road on the estuary to Morrisons at the dock entrance who will let you overnight on the car park( stay at the far end) see previous posts. As for Delft, camping Delftse Hout is a 15 min walk or a 3 min bus ride away from Delft set in a country park with loads of walks, cycle roads around the lakes and a 5 min walk to Ikea for a E1 breakfast and they give ASCI discount, see website, easy to find and about 30 mins from The Hook

OP
OP
A
Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
Loads of overnight areas around Harwich from the road on the estuary to Morrisons at the dock entrance who will let you overnight on the car park( stay at the far end) see previous posts. As for Delft, camping Delftse Hout is a 15 min walk or a 3 min bus ride away from Delft set in a country park with loads of walks, cycle roads around the lakes and a 5 min walk to Ikea for a E1 breakfast and they give ASCI discount, see website, easy to find and about 30 mins from The Hook
Thanks. Sounds great location but appears to have a 3 night minimum stay

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
We arrived after the evening ferry. Stayed overnight on the port with others
yep same for me ,
near came unstuck at Delft as i was going to park just outside and have a walk in ,found a parking spot and just as i was locking up a tram came down the road and couldn't get past me (glad i hadn't locked up and left), A quick exit before i ended up in a compound and never did get to visit Delft.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Can anyone recommend somewhere for an overnight stay near Harwich ( before ferry) and within an hour or so of the Hook of Holland at the other end? We were thinking about visiting Delft the following day.
thanks
when are you thinking of going? there are 3 CL's in the Weeley/Thorpe Le Soken area (about 20 mins along the back road to Harwich - if we are away , you could even potentially stop on our driveway for a couple of nights and check our house while you were there, we are about 20mins away (also via the backroad) - free water/waste and electricity?

check out the house sitting threads ....although we are not currently advertising we do have an old advert there?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
When we did the same crossing we got off the ferry and went to the aire at grobbendonk, (about 1 1/2 hrs) and Delft on way back (great stop)👍

OP
OP
A
Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
when are you thinking of going? there are 3 CL's in the Weeley/Thorpe Le Soken area (about 20 mins along the back road to Harwich - if we are away , you could even potentially stop on our driveway for a couple of nights and check our house while you were there, we are about 20mins away (also via the backroad) - free water/waste and electricity?

check out the house sitting threads ....although we are not currently advertising we do have an old advert there?
Thats a very kind offer however fo
r Harwich we are just needing a backup plan as planning to stay with relatives but one currently has covid. Hopefully will soon be recovered.

OP
OP
A
Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
When we did the same crossing we got off the ferry and went to the aire at grobbendonk, (about 1 1/2 hrs) and Delft on way back (great stop)👍
Thanks. I'll have a look at the aire

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Thanks. Sounds great location but appears to have a 3 night minimum stay
Contact them direct they have an *inside* and an *outside * area The outside one is on a little motorhome only park and has water and hook up, the inside ones are on standard pitches and have the same facilities but are more geared up to families, we have stayed for just one night many times using the outside area

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Stayed somewhere on the front at Harwich cn't remember street but about 20 motorhomes there. probably from Park4night

Apr 21, 2014
Hertford
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
9years
Stayed many times for one night on the camping car park outside the gates of Delftse Hout. Simple walk to the town centre.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
How early can you get on the 23:00 sailing to Hook of Holland?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
How early can you get on the 23:00 sailing to Hook of Holland?
It depends!

We have been loaded as early as 6pm and as late as 10pm
I think around 8pm is typical.

Last year, on the website, they said they start loading at 6pm, so we booked a reservation in the 'a la carte' restaurant for 8pm.
The ship did not arrive until 6pm and only then do they start to offload which takes at least 2 hrs.
They started loading at 9pm.

We finally sat down for our 8pm booking at 10.30pm, which was too late to eat.
Due to the early start I was hoping to be in bed with the lights out before 10pm.

Lesson learnt for this year.
We will eat in the van when we arrive into the queue.
I might even get a couple of hours kip.

I'll check for arrival time, but probably aim for 6-7pm, no point in being there for the 4pm arrival that Stena recommend. (It just means the 2 guys checking the passports have more time to process the entire queue)

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Interesting bits of info there as we are on the Monday morning crossing and are booked in to Brookcroft the Sunday night and also when we return a week after on the evening docking.
Staying in Delft.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
We went a couple of weeks ago and stayed at Delftse Hout:
  • Arrived at Harwich at 7.30 PM, Motorhomes and Caravans were boarded quite late by 10 PM.
  • For the return trip, we arrived for the daytime sailing at 1115 AM, boarding at 1230 PM.
We got on the Delftse site at 1 PM when they let us in, but they don't like early arrivals. There is a really good Camper Stop at Camperplaats Emmaboulevard at The Hook so you can have coffee and do the shopping. There are brief details and some pictures on my G4GBA Blog below.

Cheers

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We went a couple of weeks ago and stayed at Delftse Hout:
  • Arrived at Harwich at 7.30 PM, Motorhomes and Caravans were boarded quite late by 10 PM.
  • For the return trip, we arrived for the daytime sailing at 1115 AM, boarding at 1230 PM.
We got on the Delftse site at 1 PM when they let us in, but they don't like early arrivals. There is a really good Camper Stop at Camperplaats Emmaboulevard at The Hook so you can have coffee and do the shopping. There are brief details and some pictures on my G4GBA Blog below.

Cheers
WE have Travelled this route every year for about 12 years now around the 1st of Sept and we get to the port around 9pm and have always had to sit in a queue until about 10.00pm and once it was 11.00pm. Coming the other way from the Hook we are often onboard by 8.00pm Euro time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back