Hail proof? Roof covering, is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
On my Hymer, like a load of other makes there is the option ofa hailproof glass fibre roof covering.
A good idea it seems as loads of us will go for it and get the second skin, question is WHY? it is OK for the purpose of stopping things denting the alloy panel, but what about the lousy bonding when it starts to lift off along the deges and water starts to do it nasty corrosive way between the skins and the filliform corrosion start making the two layers break away from each other, allowing the bottom skin to quietly rot away unseen beneath the glass fire reinforced plastic top layer. Mine is starting to lift along the edge where the sealant does not quite have the bonding that it needs. Needles to say it is this month the Warranty runs out and they would tell you all the lies in Christendom to stop you complaining. You know they are all like that, It is fine they are made that way. You know what I mean basic bullshit from dealers, I know I would get it so will deal with it myself before it get to a point it is important. Water is insideous matereial and will creep all over a surface once it is in. I thought I saw a post on here not long ago where the top layer needed to be lifted , it showed the spiral pattern of sealant that encouraged the water to travel right inside to the joints quietly destroying the alloy part in the middle. Luckily I noticed the beginning of the bond breaking along the edge about halfway down the left hand side. Now the weather is going to get hotter this will give it a chance to dry off and alow me to investigate haw much the sealant has deteriorated. You know the stuff, nice and white when new but turns grren or black in short order, it is not there in enough body to actually seal the edge and will need cutting back and redoing, or that is what is going to happen with mine. I suggest a trip up the ladder to check right along the side of yours might be in order.
You might think I am on here moaning a lot about my newish motorhome but as it is meant to be the premium German type and superior to the other products from France and UK it is not that great. Motorhomes generally to be made in the BMC manner of build quality, and minis used to leak like sieves as well as fall to pieces in a short time period, I have invested a shedload of money for mine and I intend to make sure it is going to give me good service and any owner after me, as it should outlast me by many many years as the OLDER ones seem to have, before the modern business ethos came in.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You do seem to have a lot of problems with your van, our 2 Hymers were great quality albeit 2004 and 2006 years. I prefer the ally roofs, prone to hail damage but good quality. Have seen a few hail damaged ones, small dents in the roof but not pierced the skin so no damage.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Crikey Graham you do have some bad luck with your van, I think you proved even the Germans have Friday afternoon vans.
My last van an Exsis A class I had the GRP roof capping it was put on in about 5 sections. Van was just under 3 years old when we got rid of it hadn't noticed any problems with the roof capping and I'd been up on the roof just before we got rid of it.
On the current DL the GRP capping is standard and it's one continuous sheet.
I will be keeping my eye on now.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is a stuck on flat sheet of glass fibre and it acts like headlamp protectors absorbing the hail shocks and not denting.. All depends on how they glue it down all over or just bits and pieces then sealed around the edges.
I am a bit particular about how things should be, like on aircraft, little things matter as they get bigger if not dealt with, especially leaks and corrosion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Is hail worse now than it used to be? Maybe if they used a thicker alloy skin they wouldn’t need a fibreglass cover. Sounds like a way to make money by deliberately making a sub standard product that you have to pay more for to protect.
We have been through some horrendous hailstorms in our 21 year old aluminium roofed van and there isn’t a mark on it.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
:eek: Hail damage!...

7A5E09A1-A59F-496E-8F00-354CC0188E80.jpeg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our B678 is a little older than your Hymer. The hail proof roof was standard and not an optional extra. It comes in about 5 sections. All the sheets seem to be fixed well and sealed between sheets. I have not noticed any of them lifting. My only complaint is that the edges are sharp and I have managed to cut my hand whilst washing the roof.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So we don't have this issue but I'm curious..if it hails what happens to the rooflights? Are they strengthened at all or is this just to protect a weak roof

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Aluminium is a soft material and can be damaged by hail storms. Many motorhomes have ali roofs and they can get pot marked in heavy hail storms. Don't know about rooflights but my guess is that they may get smashed. Relatively easy to replace though when compared with the whole roof. I wonder if the solars would survive either but fortunately we have never experienced a really heavy hail storm.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Our B678 is a little older than your Hymer. The hail proof roof was standard and not an optional extra. It comes in about 5 sections. All the sheets seem to be fixed well and sealed between sheets. I have not noticed any of them lifting. My only complaint is that the edges are sharp and I have managed to cut my hand whilst washing the roof.
My question is.... why don’t they simply fit a GRP skinned roof as standard like very many other vans? Sounds a complicated and slightly half assed solution to a simple problem?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Aluminium is a soft material and can be damaged by hail storms. Many motorhomes have ali roofs and they can get pot marked in heavy hail storms. Don't know about rooflights but my guess is that they may get smashed. Relatively easy to replace though when compared with the whole roof. I wonder if the solars would survive either but fortunately we have never experienced a really heavy hail storm.
I've seen hail stones the size of golf balls the GPR panel Hymer would have no problem with them it's at least 2mm thick not sure if a GRP roof would stand up to them.
Latest Hymer like my B Class DL the GRP capping is standard and it's all one sheet, it is still an option on the cheaper vans like the Exsis.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've seen hail stones the size of golf balls the GPR panel Hymer would have no problem with them it's at least 2mm thick not sure if a GRP roof would stand up to them.
Latest Hymer like my B Class DL the GRP capping is standard and it's all one sheet, it is still an option on the cheaper vans like the Exsis.
According to the original specs, both my last vans had a hail proof roof as an integral part of the construction

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
According to the original specs, both my last vans had a hail proof roof as an integral part of the construction
Dave you only have to look at the photo @Fletton posted at #7 to realise that nothing is totally "hail proof". Let's hope the insurance covers it under storm damage if you are unlucky enough to have really heavy hail.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Don't the GRP panels need to be able to float to handle thermal expansion? So the adhesive has to be flexible and gaps are unavoidable. The outer coating of the aluminium is very tough (I think its some kind of epoxy or enamel layer) and well capable of handling exposure to moisture anyway.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have to say on our Exsis the GRP roof covering was not glued well at edges so I cleaned it all out and refilled with sika flex including cross joints and left with a smooth finish looks a lot better and hopefully last a while.(y)(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am surprised that it’s a loose ish panel, most that I have seen with GRP roof have been fully bonded instead of the top aluminium skin.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a massive hailstorm in France once ... we'd just arrived at the campsite near Paris at about 5.00 pm and the hail started ... fortunately as we'd literally just pulled in there was a mini roundabout with a very large tree in the centre, I told hubby to go and park under it which sheilded us and meant that by the time the hail came through the tree it had slowed considerably so fortunately we didn't get any damage done to our MH but other on the side in the open did ... it was as if someone had tipped a load of golf balls out of a bomber aircraft as it passed over!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I am surprised that it’s a loose ish panel, most that I have seen with GRP roof have been fully bonded instead of the top aluminium skin.

Martin

Yes I agree, I've not seen a Hymer with the extra GRP roof on, but I don't like the idea of a second skin. If they want it hailproof then use a thick GRP sheet as the first covering and leave it at that.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Had hailstone damage in France 2 years ago. I say hail but it was ice the size of golf balls. The aluminium roof and one side had to be reskinned at a cost of £6900. Safeguard classed it as weather damage so the claim was covered. Talking to the company that repaired it they said the aluminium is only 0.4 mm thick so you can see how it dents very easily.
The three roof lights were undamaged.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Given the option, I’d not have the GRP roof as it’s a heavy addition as well as expense. No-one is likely to see the roof if it was damaged and, if caught in hail, what protection is afforded the front/back/sides?

I’ve not seen a reduction in insurance premiums if you have such a roof, so they cannot regard it as much of a risk.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If it’s a floating skin on the roof what would happen if you stuck solar panels on or a satellite dish, I would want to know how well the skin is attached to the original roof...?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
More to the point, solar panels (etc) may cover so much of the roof that there's very little exposed.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Pretty much obligatory here and insurance companies hike up premiums without the anti hail option which is almost always fitted as standard. I've never seen any de-laminating issues as described and our GRP topper is in 2 pcs.

Once you've experienced a hail strike then you'll soon be happy to of had that GRP roof (assuming it's well bonded.....) holes in my friends Smart cars roof come to mind and my car being an almost total right-off.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes I agree, I've not seen a Hymer with the extra GRP roof on, but I don't like the idea of a second skin. If they want it hailproof then use a thick GRP sheet as the first covering and leave it at that.
Here’s a photo of mine you would hardly notice it and as for weight I can’t see how that going to be a lot extra it’s only fibre glass sheet.
A450F54C-F5DC-4E74-9B36-4049F5CD8AF6.jpeg

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Agree on a white motorhome it is hardly noticeable. A bit different on my grey one though!
Do they not spray it to match the colour of your van? I would think they do as I’ve not seen a metallic Hymer with a white roof although they might not have had GRP fitted.(y)(y)(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Do they not spray it to match the colour of your van? I would think they do as I’ve not seen a metallic Hymer with a white roof although they might not have had GRP fitted.(y)(y)(y)
No they are always white, or at least from 2015 (my van's date) onwards! The finish on the GRP is not painted and one of the main reasons they leave it white is to reduce the amount of thermal gain in the summer. You can't notice the white from the ground though, unless you are a very tall basketball player!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Here’s a photo of mine you would hardly notice it and as for weight I can’t see how that going to be a lot extra it’s only fibre glass sheet.View attachment 229726

Looks nice, so is the GRP roof a second skin with an aluminium one underneath, as the OP roof is?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back