Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi

Speaking to a fellow camper from Eire, he explained that they don't have the habitation service in that country. So, after checking with Dutch, Swedish, Spanish & German people on the site - they don't either.

So, if they don't require this somewhat expensive annual check - why do we?

I know the gas system might need checking but what really, of actual benefit, are we getting for our money?:Sad:

I think I might give it a miss this year. Is that a mistake?

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi

Speaking to a fellow camper from Eire, he explained that they don't have the habitation service in that country. So, after checking with Dutch, Swedish, Spanish & German people on the site - they don't either.

I know the gas system might need checking but what really, of actual benefit, are we getting for our money?:Sad:

I think I might give it a miss this year. Is that a mistake?

It's a nice easy way for the dealer's to contine making money after your purchase of the van . Some dealer's are charging around £150 for this service , and they struggle to make the checks last more than 1/2 hour it should last 3hrs , also you get a tick list not a proper certificate as you would get from an electrical test . I agree the gas is important and could be checked by one of you local engineers :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

I think I might give it a miss this year.[HI] Is that a mistake?[/HI]

First of all it is not a statuary requirement except for brand new vans, not having it done may invalidate the warranty ..

Not a mistake if you are competent to check both the electrical (mains) and gas installation and anyone one with a modicum of common sense can check for damp ..

If not, then best left to the 'professional'..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Spot on!:thumb:

You can check for gas leaks by applying a soapy leak detector to joints! Failing that, gas does have an added smell for a good reason! If your gas flames aren't blue, they require attention, obviously! Again, checking your flues are clear is common sense.

As for damp, you can get a damp tester from Aldi when they come in every year for 7 quid!
Failing that, there's always the MK1 nose! If your van feels damp then it probably is!
Checking the condition of and rectifying any problems with your exterior sealed joints periodically ensures no water gets in anyway!

Lubrication of locks and door/window seals you can do yourself.
A trained monkey with a screwdriver could adjust locks/hinges, etc.

So if you are a competent DIYer with common sense, then you are wasting money having habitation services! Unless, of course it is to maintain the manufacturer's warranty (often worthless!).

To rub salt into the wounds, motorhome services often cost double that of caravans and there is less work involved!:Angry:

If you are worried about gas, a local Gas Safe plumber should be able to check out that bit at a fraction of the cost!:thumb:

No doubt someone will add to this thread and voice concern over the value of your van at trade in without its service history, but we've never been asked for it at trade in time! Not on cars either!:Smile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The is no legal requirement for habitation service in this country but for peace of mind and hopefully a better resale price they are worth it.... so long as it is done by an honest engineer.

They are of course necessary while a van is under manufacturer warranty.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[hi]It's a nice easy way for the dealer's to contine making money after your purchase of the van [/HI]. Some dealer's are charging around £150 for this service , and they struggle to make the checks last more than 1/2 hour it should last 3hrs , also you get a tick list not a proper certificate as you would get from an electrical test . I agree the gas is important and could be checked by one of you local engineers :thumb:

Totally agree.. and I wonder how many of the so called 'professionals' are actually qualified..

What qualifications they are supposed to hold.. ? Or do they just do a weeks course to become 'pros.'

Maybe someone from the trade can enlighten...

S

stagman

Deleted User
The is no legal requirement for habitation service in this country but for peace of mind and hopefully a bett
er resale price they are worth it.... so long as it is done by an honest engineer.[/SIZE

When I traded my van in a couple of years ago the dealer asked if my van had an up to date habitation certificate , and I replied no as the electrical tests are done by myself , and gas done by my mate who was a Corgi engineer , he then replied no problem we will just have to do some quick checks , and if all is well issue it with a current certificate , and all was well the deal went through:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Totally agree.. and I wonder how many of the so called 'professionals' are actually qualified..

What qualifications they are supposed to hold.. ? Or do they just do a weeks course to become 'pros.'

Maybe someone from the trade can enlighten...

Totally agree, Jim!

We had warranty work carried out by a dealer(NOT the one below!) after water ingress on our last MH, a one year old Elddis.
It took nine months to be sorted out and once 'finished', the standard of work was appalling! Half the damaged boarding was not replaced and the MH stank for months afterwards.:Angry:

Oh, and the roof still leaked! I repaired it myself!:Angry:

From that point on, I realised that entrusting our purchase to those cowboys was just pointless and costing us money. Since that incident, except for a Thetford fridge warranty job (very well done by Martin's Caravans, Wisbech) I have never dared let a dealership look after our motorhomes!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I realised that entrusting our purchase to those cowboys was just pointless and costing us money....

one week a double glazing salesman .. the next a 'motorhome engineer'

when I served my electrical apprentice ship you had to attain a minimum of an ONC in order to call yourself an engineer..

I served a 5 years apprenticeship and a total of 7 years at technical college to have the privilege of calling myself an engineer....

today .. well, it's been so dumbed down it's almost a joke.. every tom dick and harry is an engineer.. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Spot on!:thumb:

If you are worried about gas, a local Gas Safe plumber should be able to check out that bit at a fraction of the cost!:thumb:

check it over, yes, but unless they are certified/qualified to work on 'mobile' gas they wont be able to certify the check.

domestic gas and motorhome gas require different gas-safe qualifications

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
is theresuch a thing as a gas safe qualification for private m,homes . there certainly wasnt a few years ago. think its acops 1-2 or something they need not gas safe at all. come on pammy tell us ,keep us up to date . :thumb:
ps, there wasnt a corgi qualification either so they couldnt certificate private ,m,homes.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
So checking gas systems is a matter of common sense eh? If the flame's yellow you obviously have a problem? How do you see the flame in a fridge then? Do you own a flue gas analyser? Only this week I had the less than pleasant task of telling a motorhome owner that he has serious water ingress in the nearside wall and roof. I've lost count of the number of fridge burners that have been partially blocked and therefore generating seriously dangerous levels of CO.

The value of a habitation check is for those who can't DIY, if you can DIY then great go for it but please don't denigrate all professionals as rip off merchants based on your own limited experiences.

And no I don't call myself an engineer, I never have and never will.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As for Corgi/Gas Safe qualification its not necessary as all motorhomes, caravans and horse boxes are specifically excluded from the gas regs unless the unit is being rented out in course of a business. There is a Gas Safe qualification that would be needed on rental units but it consists of several elements (as I believe all Gas Safe registrations do) base Gas Safe qualification then additional elements for LPG, cookers, heaters, water heaters and mobile installations.

I have just done my five yearly ACOPS renewal.

D.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi dave , hope i,m not out of order but can you inform us of th position of gas safe etc and the qualifications to give a certificate.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So checking gas systems is a matter of common sense eh? If the flame's yellow you obviously have a problem? How do you see the flame in a fridge then? Do you own a flue gas analyser? Only this week I had the less than pleasant task of telling a motorhome owner that he has serious water ingress in the nearside wall and roof. I've lost count of the number of fridge burners that have been partially blocked and therefore generating seriously dangerous levels of CO.

The value of a habitation check is for those who can't DIY, if you can DIY then great go for it but please don't denigrate all professionals as rip off merchants based on your own limited experiences.

D.

I think you are addressing my posts..

first of all I never said checking gas was common sense ..

Not a mistake if you are competent to check both the electrical (mains) and gas installation and anyone one with a modicum of common sense can check for damp ..

If not, then best left to[HI] the 'professional'.[/HI].

From reading your website and from all the recommendations on here you are clearly provide a reputable and honest motorhome service.. this is the value of sites such as this.

but you cannot deny there are ( as there are in all trades ) cowboys with little or no experience and or qualifications to service motorhomes ..

my comment on engineers I stand by...

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Finding serious water ingress on a habitation service 365 days after the last habitation service is a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted! After all it might have been leaking for 364 of them!:Sad:

All MHers should use this example as motivation to check their own vans continuously for damp! Waiting for your next habitation service to pick it up, which apparently protects you from the evils of water ingress, is naive and will cost you a fortune!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thanks dave ,you beat me to it. so folks dave as the qualifications ,use him you know it makes sense.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

The value of a habitation check is for those who can't DIY, if you can DIY then great go for it but[HI] please don't denigrate all professionals as rip off merchants based on your own limited experiences.[/HI]

D.

Hi Dave.
I chose my words carefully in my post.
I did refer to THOSE cowboys (those who did a poor job), not THESE cowboys (collective).
By all accounts Dave, you are a professional and I respect your defence of your trade.
There are, however incompetent people in all trades, including my own. Rest assured, I have more respect for tradesmen such as yourself than the main dealers.

If my chosen words caused offence, I apologise, but I will always stress that owners should always inspect their own vans on a continuous basis and not rely on an annual check to highlight every problem!

As for that flue gas analyser, my mate has one he lets me borrow!:thumb:

OP
OP
billkce
Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
The is no legal requirement for habitation service in this country but for peace of mind and hopefully a bett
er resale price they are worth it.... so long as it is done by an honest engineer.[/SIZE

When I traded my van in a couple of years ago the dealer asked if my van had an up to date habitation certificate , and I replied no as the electrical tests are done by myself , and gas done by my mate who was a Corgi engineer , he then replied no problem we will just have to do some quick checks , and if all is well issue it with a current certificate , and all was well the deal went through:thumb:

Certificate??? Wot Certificate?

Thanks one & all for views. My mind made up. Gas to be checked when house boiler serviced & I can do the rest. After all the van is 10 years old so no warranty involved

ta

Billkce:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does anyone here have an annual inspection of their house ? Gas, Electric, Damp, Sewage.

No.

So why for a much simpler mobile home.

Vigilance and Common sense. After all, an MOT is only effective on the day it is done, next day a stone could damage a brake pipe. If you are not vigilant every day you could have a gas leak for 364 days if you throw all your responsibility on a one day test.

PS.....

A lot of Gaslow users have a built in gas leak tester, turn off tap, if gas pressure gauge drops quickly you have a leak or something is switched on. I had a fridge igniter push go sticky, it left the igniter gas on even with the fridge on electric, this showed it up a treat.

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I can assure you we don't get fat out of habitation services as we do them properly to safeguard your investment and safety.

Peter

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Copied from a web site which I won't give a link to as it would be advertising>>

How to become a caravan/motorhome engineer.. in FIVE days, yes folks all this in five days... :RollEyes:

Qualified Mobile Caravan Engineers. Become a Mobile Caravan Engineer:

Courses are held at our own training facilities in Wiltshire and are of 5 days duration (Monday to Friday).

Training Course Contents:

* Health and Safety
* European Standards
* Liability Insurance Requirements
* Advertising/Marketing
* Setting Up Your Business
* Customer Care and Relations
* Pricing Structure
* Stationery/Book Keeping Requirements
* Vehicle Choice Recommendations
* Tools Required
* Parts Stock Required
* Materials/Consumables Required
* Sourcing of Supplies of Spares/Components etc.
* Service Schedule - Full/Short/Safety/Check
* Chassis/Brakes Problems
* Floor Delamination Detection/Rectification
* Use of Damp Meter and Detect Water Ingress
* Cures for Water Ingress and Treatment
* Fridge Problems and Rectification
* Tap/Pump Problems and Rectification
* Toilet Flush Systems, Fault Finding and Rectification
* Window Replacement
* Door Lock/Hinge Problems and Rectification
* Space Heater/Fan Master Problems and Rectification
* Skylight Replacement or Repair
* Wheels/Tyres Regulations & Checks
* Road Lighting/Awning Lights
* Gas Problems and Tests
* Heating Systems, Gas/Electric Faults
* Hot Water Systems, Gas/Electric Faults
* 12v Electrical Faults and Rectification
* 240v Electrical Faults and Rectification
* Blind and Fly Screen Adjustments

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As for Corgi/Gas Safe qualification its not necessary as all motorhomes, caravans and horse boxes are specifically excluded from the gas regs unless the unit is being rented out in course of a business. There is a Gas Safe qualification that would be needed on rental units but it consists of several elements (as I believe all Gas Safe registrations do) base Gas Safe qualification then additional elements for LPG, cookers, heaters, water heaters and mobile installations.

I have just done my five yearly ACOPS renewal.

D.
my point exactly Dave, but i did forget the private use/hire requirements :Doh:

just like a private house, there is no legal requirement for an annual gas check for personal use..unlike an annual landlords safety check for rented properties.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Jim, my response was not aimed directly at your comments, well not all of it anyway. I simply wanted to put a bit of balance into the discussion as up till then there was very little support for professional inspections. No offence taken and none intended to anyone either ::bigsmile:.

D.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, my response was not aimed directly at your comments, well not all of it anyway. I simply wanted to put a bit of balance into the discussion as up till then there was very little support for professional inspections. No offence taken and none intended to anyone either ::bigsmile:.

D.

None taken, and you are right to stick up for your business and trade... most of us can spot a cowboy a mile away .. and your name's not Wayne.. :roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi brian . you can get a similar device to put in line in a normal bottle use . it also shuts off if alot of gas tries to get through ie, a big leak. i use one from bes very cheap as well cat no. 12673...12,98 a gift.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here is a habitation check-list see Att
terry

Attachments

• Recommended Annual Habitation Service Check.doc
    37.5 KB · Views: 40

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
when we got our van in the paperwork was the list of habitation service as recommended by the manufacturer as i read through this list i immediately thought there is no way that any dealer is going to perform this to the letter as i would be without my van for at least a week and the cost would be cheaper to go and buy a new van.

really how many dealers would on a habitation service would remove roof light blinds and check fixing screws for tightness.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back