Gumotex twist n2/1 or Decathlon itiwit x100 (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
Hi, does anyone have any recommendations between these two? Or any others for that matter. I have read other threads on here.
We want to buy a 2 person inflatable kayak. small pack size very important as we only have a 5m van. Have also seen the bluewave cruiser package which looks comprehensive but I suspect it is bigger and heavier.
thanks

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The Gumotex Twist is an excellent inflatable, compact when folded and not too heavy. Dries easily and ready to put away in half an hour, so excellent for travel use.
Only slight downside is they do catch the wind rather.
Not sure about Itiwit, but some of the cheaper brands use an internal bladder system that can take hours to dry properly.
I love my twist, but I am tempted by the newer drop stitch inflatables.
If your budget let's you, I'd go for a drop stitch, but they are a bit larger when folded.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I would go for a high pressure one whatever the brand.

The decathlon one looks to be heavier and therefore more durable??

OP
OP
A
Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
Thanks. Good to hear that about the twist. The decathlon x100 has a drop stitch floor which is tempting
still undecided.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Avoid any internal bladder ones as they are a pain to dry, couldn't get shot of the ones we had quick enough and went back to Gumotex. The twist is great and if you have a bit of 'ballast' in the bow as this keeps the front level so doesn't get affected by the wind. Also consider 2 singles too as me and hubby constantly bickered in a double as to who was paddling which side, steering etc.

Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 243
Exp
1 year in and loving it
Hi, I have the Aquaglide Chelan 155 which I’m very pleased with. Drop stitch floor and bladderless side chambers. This is the largest of the 3 models they do, so you may find the middle one better from a pack size pov.

Also check out https://youtube.com/c/MoreThanJustaCleaner for lots of ‘real world‘ kayaking related reviews.

OP
OP
A
Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
We do have hardshell kayaks /SOTsfor home so this will really be for touring use.I think storage space is the main criterion.the twist sounds ideal for the space we have but wondering about dropstitch floor options.has anyone got an itiwit x100 2 person?

The bickering is part of the experience - always blame the other half.😉

OP
OP
A
Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
We recently bought a Decathlon x100 because it is a high-pressure inflatable with a drop stitch floor at a reasonable price as we are only going to be casual kayakers.
Have you tried out out yet? Seems to pack up quite small

OP
OP
A
Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
Hi, I have the Aquaglide Chelan 155 which I’m very pleased with. Drop stitch floor and bladderless side chambers. This is the largest of the 3 models they do, so you may find the middle one better from a pack size pov.

Also check out https://youtube.com/c/MoreThanJustaCleaner for lots of ‘real world‘ kayaking related reviews.
Thanks for the youtube link- will take a look . Will look up aquaglide.

autocaravaner

Free Member
Mar 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
small van
We have that Gumotex model and we love it. Had it for two years, we have used it in rivers and good sea days in summer.

Check our post if you want to see what else we bought (accessories).

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I use a Intex single, because it came out tops in a US survey......they make doubles too...

OP
OP
A
Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
We have that Gumotex model and we love it. Had it for two years, we have used it in rivers and good sea days in summer.

Check our post if you want to see what else we bought (accessories).

Thank you. I didn't find your post when I searched the forum. Very helpful indeed. I think likely to settle for the Twist.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have a SeaEagle and. Blue wave. Both drop stitch and the difference between dropstitch and traditional inflatable is chalk and cheese. The dropstitch handle like rigid kayaks and people don't realise they are inflatables. They fold to fit in a Bergen size backpack (large) and are "luggable" at about 17kg.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We have a SeaEagle and. Blue wave. Both drop stitch and the difference between dropstitch and traditional inflatable is chalk and cheese. The dropstitch handle like rigid kayaks and people don't realise they are inflatables. They fold to fit in a Bergen size backpack (large) and are "luggable" at about 17kg.
How did you find the Blue Wave, the foot supports didn’t look that substantial?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
How did you find the Blue Wave, the foot supports didn’t look that substantial?
We used the "spare" foot rest from the SeaEagle which is a piece of sink waste pipe doubled over a tie down strap. The tie down strap fastens to eye hooks on the sides of the kayak and adjusts by loosening or tightening of the buckle on the strap. The SeaEagle has proper foot rests (the pedal type) which are fully adjustable but it's a pain to put the rods in until you realise it's best done when the kayak is part inflated. The Blue Wave was half the price of the SeaEagle and is a good boat but not as fancy as the SeaEagle. You get what you pay for. I don't know if it would be possible to retrofit proper foot rests into the Blue Wave - they might get in the way if a single paddler is paddling the double boat (as we do).

The Blue Wave foot rest is not great for me as I use my whole body when paddling to transfer power from my feet and legs up through my back to my shoulders. Martin has good upper body strength so doesn't rely on his leg muscles as much. I paddle the SeaEagle and his is the Blue Wave.

We bought electric motors for them last year but have not tried them out yet :( Our plans for the weekend when we were going to go out with them had to be scrapped.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
How good is the Twist? So good we have lugged our boats to Cathedral Bay. New Zealand, The "Bio Station" at the Tip of Borneo, and Antigua. I found they are also brilliant for a bit of messing around in the surf easily catching a "greenwave". Also easily repairable, I,ve managed to put some substantial holes in the floor of ours, but like an inner tube, you just pop a patch on it and it's good to go a couple of days later.
I 've had 8 in total , and the fleet is currently a Twist 2/1. A Safari XL330, and the K2 two person white water Class 4.
In an email exchange with R&D Gumotex I had a wish list of a boat like, consisting of the Safari, self bailing, but with the option of dry boat ports . A double version, and a drop stitch floor.Watch this space they said.
Currently the nearest to this wish list would be the Z-PRO FL Flash.
I had a single version of this, and it's a good boat, but a bit heavier than the Gummo, with a weight penalty of about 5k over the Twist, and closed cell foam seats.
Good luck.
Mike.

Attachments

• DSCF5798.JPG
    DSCF5798.JPG
    527.3 KB · Views: 44
  • P1080986.JPG
    P1080986.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • P1000503.JPG
    P1000503.JPG
    650.3 KB · Views: 43

rogeroger

Free Member
Oct 6, 2013
ringwood
Funster No
MH
autosleeper symbol es
Exp
since 2011
Hi, does anyone have any recommendations between these two? Or any others for that matter. I have read other threads on here.
We want to buy a 2 person inflatable kayak. small pack size very important as we only have a 5m van. Have also seen the bluewave cruiser package which looks comprehensive but I suspect it is bigger and heavier.
thanks
Try Sandbanks Style at lillyput Poole. I cancelled a Gumotex when I saw theirs and never looked back. All dropstitch technology. Very ridgid. Half the price of Gumotex, drys quicker than Decathlon.

OP
OP
A
Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
rogeroger have heard of sandbanks style but think their kayaks might be a little large when packed away for our needs

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Where / what do the motors fit please ?
These are the ones we bought but haven't tried yet

Other suppliers are available :) They replace the skeg and as fitted can not be pivoted for steering so I would imagine a lot of bow or stern rudder will be required. The inflatable does not have a rudder and it is one thing I miss (having had a rudder on my huge heavy sea boat). There are a lot of attachment options included and it would also probably be possible to fit to a steering board and use that at the side of the kayak rather than have the motor underneath although you would have to remember to switch off before removing from the water ...... perhaps a safety switch could be fitted for that but now it's getting complicated!

I'm looking forward to trying them.

Because of the price of road fuel and also our family situation we are thinking we should have a local trip every two weeks or so ...... maybe only go 20 or 30 miles from home for a couple of nights. We would choose our destinations carefully and either cycle or kayak or do research. Actually a stop of a few nights to explore an area by cycle would be rather nice and relaxing rather than a dash from one place to another. When we were in Ireland we did that a couple of times - parked up in one place for a few nights and explored by cycle to find the next stop. We also cycled from church to church in search of the last resting place of Martin's ancestors. We didn't find the graves but did find some good pub grub!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back