Greece trip advice (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Good evening all. Our new van will arrive next month a bit earlier than expected so I’ve just started to plan our next 3 month trip abroad and am thinking about a trip to Greece kicking off around mid April .
It’s a new destination for us so just wondering if anyone could point us in the direction of a good blog that covers a UK- Greece trip to give us a few pointers of the routes and must see places.

Thanks in advance.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Broken Link Removed

The thread might be a bit ‘conversational’ but I think we made sure of writing where we stopped each night!

Most of our stops were P4nights. We only had a couple of campsite stops for washing clothes - and we had an absolutely fab time!

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
If you’re intending to use a ferry crossing from Italy then I’d advise getting in quickly and try to book from Ancona to your preferred destination. It's ‘camping on board’ and IMHO the best compromise in cost and driving distance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If you’re intending to use a ferry crossing from Italy then I’d advise getting in quickly and try to book from Ancona to your preferred destination. It's ‘camping on board’ and IMHO the best compromise in cost and driving distance.

Bookings not open yet, late this year.

Anyway get behind me in the queue.:LOL:

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Check out this and the following vids to see where we went last yr. We absolutely loved Greece. If the sites are not mentioned where we stayed I can let you know more if you ask.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My sister used to drive to Greece every year in a campervan (with kids)
The route was:
Home to Harwich/Hook night ferry
Hook to Koln area on the Rhein
Koln to Kiefersfelden/Kufstein on the Austrian border
Ancona night ferry to Patras
Patras to Athens/Piraeus for the ferry to the islands

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Hen you say ‘getting in quickly’ do you mean the ferries to Greece are so busy that I need book way in advance ?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My sister used to drive to Greece every year in a campervan (with kids)
The route was:
Home to Harwich/Hook night ferry
Hook to Koln area on the Rhein
Koln to Kiefersfelden/Kufstein on the Austrian border
Ancona night ferry to Patras
Patras to Athens/Piraeus for the ferry to the islands
FYI
We did a similar route:

Night 1: The Stena Line Harwich/Hook ferry, you sleep in cabins, arrive at 8am in Holland, You will be on the toll free German autobahns by 11am.
Night 2: Braubach: (South of Koln/Bonn) We stop at Green Camping right on the River Rhein (Good English spoken)
Night 3: Würzburg: Leaning Tower campsite at Kitzingen (There is the biggest camping supermarket we have ever seen nearby, 'Maincamp', with own Stellplatz)
Night 4: Fussen: on the German/Austrian border, there are 3 Stellplatz in town and a load of campsites on the lake (You could easily spend a couple of days here)
Night 5: Bolzen: camping Moosbauer
Night 6: Ancona for the night ferry, On some ferries you can sleep in your van on deck, on others you get a cabin.
Night 7: An idyllic Greek island of your choosing.

With two drivers and some long driving days you could cut out Wurzburg and Bolzen and do Harwich Ferry, Frankfurt area, Fussen, Ancona Ferry.
So get out of work sharpish on a Friday afternoon and be in Greece by Tuesday morning.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Hen you say ‘getting in quickly’ do you mean the ferries to Greece are so busy that I need book way in advance ?

Yes, especially the Ancona route. I guess it’s the most popular as it’s a good compromise between Venice, more expensive, and Bari, more road miles.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
wp1234 You might find the following link helpful. We are also planning a trip to Greece, but not yet sure when.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back