GPL (LPG/Autogas) Spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
OK so it’s illegal I accept that.

I only wished to inform others of the current prevailing situation, as I’ve experienced it, over the last 7 years. In my mind that’s more relevant than the law when bumbling around the continent.
EU legislation changes have only been introduced in the past couple of years or so.
On this and other forums the topic of refusal is, the "prevailing situation", as more garages are complying with the law.
You personal experience, in the relevant period of the past couple of year, may is different, and long may it continue,
but ultimately as enforcement of law increases refusal will become more common/widespread.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Live in Spain, travel and fill up with LPG throughout Spain....never been questioned or refused...if the attendant ever asked me in the future if it's for the engine...I would reply Yes...🤔👍🇪🇦

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I was questioned the other day in the usual Repsol station I refill LPG, after refill with Adblue.
When I asked for the LPG to be unlocked, the attendant asked "you just filled up the adblue, so you have a diesel engine, then, why LPG now?" and told her I have an external connection for LPG and that everything is preinstalled and ready.
She blinked twice and said "ok".
That was a close call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
If it catches on, this will be the end of the likes of Gaslow etc.
It will also be a pain for us personally as, based in southern Iberia but summer long stayers in the uk , we would be forced to carry two different types of gas cylinders on our visits. Not ideal in a pvc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If it catches on, this will be the end of the likes of Gaslow etc.
It will also be a pain for us personally as, based in southern Iberia but summer long stayers in the uk , we would be forced to carry two different types of gas cylinders on our visits. Not ideal in a pvc.
Not ideal I agree however to avoid carrying 2 different types of cylinders inside you could have an underslung tank for when you can use auto gas in the UK and non-refillable cylinders for Iberia use when your auto gas is getting low. I'm sure there's a way to switch between the two systems as some others have a refillable and non-refillable cylinder setup.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I only wished to inform others of the current prevailing situation, as I’ve experienced i

And that is precisely what I, and others, have done in reporting the stance taken by some Repsol stations. Facts are facts and you can’t deny the reality of others’ experiences.

Ian

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If folk are having a genuine problem with Repsol...then use other outlets...there are many independent ones available...however like Peavy said earlier, he didn't meet with strong opposition, however he is a Spanish national who would be able to put his case over better that most of us.....except me of course...who would refuse to move until I got filled up....I too have a professional fitted Gaslow system with an external filling point...

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We were in Spain in February and filled up at 2 repsol stations and at both the attendant came out and filled it for me.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
We filled at a repsol station 2 days ago in Bilbao. Attendant outside ran away, so my wife went inside to ask which attachment was required as we had never filled in Spain before. She came out and assisted us. Then I noticed a sign with a gas bottle and a red line through it, meaning no filling of bottles. I don't get this illegal stuff, as I have a had flow with external filler. And have been told several times in Greece and Italy " we are not allowed to fill bottles" I have replied what's the difference between a gas bottle and a gas tank ?. Still don't know the answer, if the legal bit is for traction only, that's a different thing. But as I used to work for BP, the issue was for any fuel delivery health and safety ( fire risk). As gaslow and other have safety valves as do car conversions, I think that the law is either behind or being interpreted incorrectly. Agree lose gas bottles should not be filled nor should they be filled inside a locker imo.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I was questioned the other day in the usual Repsol station I refill LPG, after refill with Adblue.
When I asked for the LPG to be unlocked, the attendant asked "you just filled up the adblue, so you have a diesel engine, then, why LPG now?" and told her I have an external connection for LPG and that everything is preinstalled and ready.
She blinked twice and said "ok".
That was a close call.
Note to "self" fill LPG 1st....

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Note to "self" fill LPG 1st....

QED

If anyone refused LPG fill, I would explain that then I do not need their 80lts of diesel.

That tack might be more persuasive at an independent station.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never been refused in Spain but have been in Portugal, woman came running out shouting we don't fill bottles, I pointed at the external filler and said it was a tank, she was happy with that.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
QED

If anyone refused LPG fill, I would explain that then I do not need their 80lts of diesel.

Yes at a independent station, but other than way out in the back of beyond not seen many.
So we have to presume we're going to be trying to fill up and a major brand.
Applying your logic you'll get no LPG and no diesel, who loses? Do you have diesel to drive to another source of LPG
or diesel for that matter?
Employees are on a salary and one of many staff at a large station, they are not invested in individual sales, (Some may just wish to please naturally) but they should follow law/corporate rules.
EU Law now prohibits sale of LPG for none propulsion purposes, who/how/if this is enforced is an open question.
The question that is also still open is who is breaking the law? Seller/Purchaser and what is the penalty?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
QED

I make a point of never fill Diesel and LPG at the same filling station...just in case it raises an issue....
Requiring both fuels is fairly uncommon, as one Gaslow lasts us 3 weeks....where a tank of fuel not so...😀👍🇪🇦

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I went to a Gasden station yesterday in Denia for diesel. Noticed an ad blue pump next to it. My friend Shirley Blossom at the next pump noticed lpg at hers.
We got filled up with them all by a lovely young man who did the lot! 🤗
I had to move to get the lpg and waited for a bloke in a car to fill 2 containers in carrier bags on the floor with fuel.🙄

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I make a point of never fill Diesel and LPG at the same filling station...just in case it raises an issue....
Requiring both fuels is fairly uncommon, as one Gaslow lasts us 3 weeks....where a tank of fuel not so...😀👍🇪🇦

If you fill the LPG first any issue with the diesel is pointless as the LPG is in the cylinder/tank already.

Feb 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
Vantage Max
So where do you get LPG if you can't get it from a garage? Our (new to us) motorhome has an underslung LPG tank & I presume we will need to fill it if we need gas on our 1 month trip around Italy/Croatia/France? Any suggestions welcome, thank you!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So where do you get LPG if you can't get it from a garage? Our (new to us) motorhome has an underslung LPG tank & I presume we will need to fill it if we need gas on our 1 month trip around Italy/Croatia/France? Any suggestions welcome, thank you!
You are not going to top up too frequently as the warmer weather comes knocking...GPL isn't really a problem...what gets reported on here is the occasional refusal...but if the number of accepting fill ups were to be published..it would be so boring... I've had LPG/GPL for so long, I really cannot remember a justified refusal...🤔🇪🇦

Feb 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
Vantage Max
You are not going to top up too frequently as the warmer weather comes knocking...GPL isn't really a problem...what gets reported on here is the occasional refusal...but if the number of accepting fill ups were to be published..it would be so boring... I've had LPG/GPL for so long, I really cannot remember a justified refusal...🤔🇪🇦
ok thanks, fingers crossed

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
So...... given all the above, and having in the distant past (previous motorhome) had Gaslow refillable gas tanks with external filler point, do folks buy bog standard propane in tanks in France/Italy/Spain and swap them over as needed at supermarkets etc, where they clearly aren't going to swap a UK Calor Gas bottle.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
So...... given all the above, and having in the distant past (previous motorhome) had Gaslow refillable gas tanks with external filler point, do folks buy bog standard propane in tanks in France/Italy/Spain and swap them over as needed at supermarkets etc, where they clearly aren't going to swap a UK Calor Gas bottle.

I use Repsol Propanno bottles when at the Spanish winter site for a few months. These are readily and widely available. A Gaslow pigtail which screws into the external filler point, then onto an adapter for the Repsol bottle means gas is the equivalent of €0.60 a litre. Pricing on the bottles is dynamic at most outlets but at the moment is less than €15 for 11kg bottle, so around 22 litres of gas. ✔️

When touring just fill up the big underslung tank as normal and required. 👍🏻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back