Got a Merc. Sprinter PVC? I could do with you wielding a tape measure (pretty please). (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Evening All,

Our 'van has got an advisory on the MOT.

Apparently, not all the LED's are working on the High Level Brake Light.
I have obtained the No. off the surface of it and it's 151827 but the search for that
gives me very few, if any responses.

The fitment that keeps coming up is not the same as on our Pilote.

However, on scouring the net, the light on a Maercedes Sprinter post 2006 looks promising.
Thus;

Could some kind soul on Fun go to their 'van and measure the overall length and, probably
more importantly, the distance between the screw holes.

The surface of the Pilote at this point is flat, ie the light is not recessed so that isn't problem.

Thank you in advance

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Are you trying to confuse me Derek? Your profile still says you have a Bustner.
Shhhh!
I'm in stealth mode.
Actually we've now got a Pilote Explorateur and we haven't got around to changing it.
The Pilote back light has parallel sides (top and bottom edges) but the net keeps throwing up models that are slightly wider in the middle.
Unfortunately none of them give the sizes but significantly for this Tyke the Merc ones are much cheaper. Something I have discovered before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Shhhh!
I'm in stealth mode.
Actually we've now got a Pilote Explorateur and we haven't got around to changing it.
The Pilote back light has parallel sides (top and bottom edges) but the net keeps throwing up models that are slightly wider in the middle.
Unfortunately none of them give the sizes but significantly for this Tyke the Merc ones are much cheaper. Something I have discovered before.
What sprinter W906 or W907 ?

W907 is 307 mm

But I thought high level brake lights were a European requirement, we've left Europe so shouldn't be required?

Edit... Taken from elsewhere...

"I think this is an area that can be interpreted incorrectly.

Yes it does state in the inspection manual : Additional stop lamps, over and above the obligatory requirements, must be tested. However, if you are not sure that they’re connected, you should give the benefit of the doubt.

However it does not state they should create a fail, just that they should be inspected.

When entering results into the scheme at the end of the test there is a specific mention of this low down in the list that can be missed that states

Non obligatory stop lamp not working- Advisory..

It is buried in the multiple light source section but it states the above so it should be pass and advise"

Cheers
Red

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Are you sure it’s LED? I thought my high level brake light on a Carthago was, but it isn’t. When I took it apart, it’s got a row of small capsule bulbs in it, similar to those you put in dashboard lights. Easy enough to replace those. The reason I thought mine were LED is because most of the other rear lights are.

Might be worth checking unless you’re sure it’s LED.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Are you sure it’s LED? I thought my high level brake light on a Carthago was, but it isn’t. When I took it apart, it’s got a row of small capsule bulbs in it, similar to those you put in dashboard lights. Easy enough to replace those. The reason I thought mine were LED is because most of the other rear lights are.

Might be worth checking unless you’re sure it’s LED.
A personal 'Thank you' for that.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

W907 is 307 mm

But I thought high level brake lights were a European requirement, we've left Europe so shouldn't be required?

Cheers
Red
Thank you for your response.
307mm is too small but I'm buoyed by the message (above) that suggests that my High level lights may not be LED'S

We may have left Europe but I got an advisory on the MOT.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I actually had the light replaced under warranty and bought the old one away with me. They get water in them and it corrodes the rails that connect the bulbs together. In my case it just needs a clean up and new bulbs and it’ll be a good spare.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I found the replacement part for mine, which is a Hella, on a German site, but it was about 100 euros. About £130 via a UK Carthago dealer. A few quid for a pack of bulbs from Amazon.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

W907 is 307 mm

Edit... Taken from elsewhere...

"I think this is an area that can be interpreted incorrectly.

Yes it does state in the inspection manual : Additional stop lamps, over and above the obligatory requirements, must be tested. However, if you are not sure that they’re connected, you should give the benefit of the doubt.

However it does not state they should create a fail, just that they should be inspected.

When entering results into the scheme at the end of the test there is a specific mention of this low down in the list that can be missed that states

Non obligatory stop lamp not working- Advisory..

It is buried in the multiple light source section but it states the above so it should be pass and advise"

Cheers
Red

Hi (and thanks)

It was only an advisory.

Oh the shame, the van failed the MOT on a fitment inside the van that, as far as I am aware, has never been used?
I refer to one of the seat belts in the dinette.Oh Hum.
It wasn't as if it was visible. It was behind the seats, out of sight.

I'd still like to know what the W906? measures up to.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Derek, I had an issue where the majority of my bulbs didn’t work and yes they were bulbs and I got this LED as a replacement but now out of stock.
I have an 02 Galaxy 92.
I still have the old one which could probably be salvaged if you had the patience. But a bit late to be taking measurements 😜

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
When the UK left the EU all EU related laws were retained/adopted into UK law.

Some have been revoked.
Example: Under the "Brexit Freedoms Bill" 600 were revoked by the end of 2023

If you feel so minded google 2021 & 2022 revoked laws.
Guessing not the, "if you have lights they (all) should work" one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Googling "Brake light 151827" returns this?
Doesn't mention Pilote in blurb, but are any of the models mentioned a variant model from the same parent company.

Thank you.
Yes, I saw that but I also saw that the price was in Emus.

On a previous attempt to purchase something from Europe they wouldn't deliver to UK and my post was in the desire to find a part in this country.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Oops! I forgot to add the link on #11

It says it measures 310mm in the recess

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Hi (and thanks)

It was only an advisory.

Oh the shame, the van failed the MOT on a fitment inside the van that, as far as I am aware, has never been used?
I refer to one of the seat belts in the dinette.Oh Hum.
It wasn't as if it was visible. It was behind the seats, out of sight.

I'd still like to know what the W906? measures up to.
I have 6 seatbelts in mine 4 are not used and not visible, if not visible then not checked for MoT so I've been told. Mine passed no advisories last couple of times.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I have 6 seatbelts in mine 4 are not used and not visible, if not visible then not checked for MoT so I've been told. Mine passed no advisories last couple of times.

If a piece of equipment is fitted to a motor vehicle that is 'obligatory' and in this case, on a 'van,
a forward facing seat has to have a seat belt. ie. it's 'obligatory' to have one, then it
doesn't matter if it's visible or not, it has to be tested.

In my particular case, without wishing to go overboard on this, the garage had an agenda with me
and, although they would never admit it, were in a Kwik Fit mindset.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
If a piece of equipment is fitted to a motor vehicle that is 'obligatory' and in this case, on a 'van,
a forward facing seat has to have a seat belt. ie. it's 'obligatory' to have one, then it
doesn't matter if it's visible or not, it has to be tested.

In my particular case, without wishing to go overboard on this, the garage had an agenda with me
and, although they would never admit it, were in a Kwik Fit mindset.
That must be it then. Only two forward facing seats in mine (American) others are in lounge area. Wouldn't really think to look or expect belts to be there?

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Googling "Brake light 151827" returns this?
Doesn't mention Pilote in blurb, but are any of the models mentioned a variant model from the same parent company.

I mentioned that I had previously had problems trying to buy from the Continent.
In this case, that particular Retailer? required me to provide a Spanish National ID No.

It would seem therefore that they only sell in Spain. In itself not a massive immediate problem
as I have a "get around" but I would rather not.

PS. I have fired off a question to the Co. to find out if they sell to the UK.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
A ' Blue Peter' badge goes to G7UXG.

Just been out a removed the fitment from the van.
Wet on the outside, er! WET ON THE INSIDE!!!
Now, where to get the bulbs???

IMG_20240323_104236.jpg

IMG_20240323_104248.jpg

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Any markings on the bulbs. Id probaly head to Halfords/ motorfactors to see if there was anything similar in there.

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
I mentioned that I had previously had problems trying to buy from the Continent.
In this case, that particular Retailer? required me to provide a Spanish National ID No.

It would seem therefore that they only sell in Spain. In itself not a massive immediate problem
as I have a "get around" but I would rather not.

PS. I have fired off a question to the Co. to find out if they sell to the UK.
We are in Spain. Could get you one if it helped move up the plum list 😂😂

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Update on this.

I've pulled up the drawbridge on this one.
The insides were two strips of metal and despite getting them out of the holder and getting the contacts shiny, I couldn't get a working bulb to stay on.
I found a Chinese jobby on fleabay that is longer and wide enough to cover the 'letterbox' gap already there.
I'm not going to screw the 'new' one on. It's sealed on the back so I'll sikaflex it on.
I'll let someone curse me in 2036 when it packs up!

Thanks for responding.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back